Hello. I'm currently a freshman and I am 5'9-5'10 and can dunk a vollyball off an alley-oop.
I really want to learn how to dunk without an oop and I just seem to get rim stuffed, or i get up and the ball flys over the rim and I just end up hanging on the rim.
For people who can dunk, what are some techniques you use to get just as high as you do without an oop. It seems like I lose some inches with a ball in my hand.
I'd also like for a few more tips dunking related.
Thread: Dunking question.
02-02-2013, 09:38 PM #1
02-03-2013, 12:27 PM #2
02-03-2013, 01:13 PM #3
02-03-2013, 01:16 PM #4
- Join Date: May 2004
- Location: New Jersey, United States
- Stats: 5'8", 228 lbs
- Posts: 6,725
- BodyPoints: 9083
- Rep Power: 2428
02-03-2013, 06:09 PM #5
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM #6
- Join Date: Jan 2013
- Location: New Mexico, United States
- Stats: 6'0", 190 lbs
- Posts: 5
- Rep Power: 0
Do you jump off of one leg or two legs? Can you palm the ball?
dunking has just as much technique as it has raw power:
1. on either 1 foot/2 foot jump... focus on gaining a quick 1-2 step approach to get your speed up. Your horizontal momentum will carry you in the direction of the basket so you can focus on launching your body straight up in the air for maximum height. (watch blake griffin's approach, he's got crazy acceleration)
2. I can palm the ball fairly easy, so I would focus hard on gripping the ball with my arm fully extended over my head, if you can't palm the ball you'll have to find the point where you can place your hand that allows the ball to use your body's momentum to sort of "glue" itself to your hand.
3. If you jump one-legged, throw your right knee up as fast and hard as you can as you're jumping off your left leg (assuming you're right handed... reverse legs if your left handed)
4. Don't try to "LeBron" dunk the ball at first, just focus on extending your arm fully and snapping your wrist down through the rim- once you get get at this, you can put some power into it.
02-04-2013, 07:04 PM #7
And I've noticed myself lebroning it lol. I would jump to far out and kind of bring it to the side of my head like 2-3 inches instead of just putting the ball straight up and not even slamming it.
I'll try all this in the off-season or when I'm all better.
02-07-2013, 05:03 PM #8
By 91jesus in forum Sports TrainingReplies: 8Last Post: 08-16-2013, 05:17 PM
By Nycapo in forum Sports TrainingReplies: 4Last Post: 08-11-2007, 09:34 PM
By norishinghgh in forum WWE Wrestling ForumReplies: 6Last Post: 05-21-2005, 02:17 PM
By Heisman in forum Professional BodybuildingReplies: 63Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:54 PM