Michael41085 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I started doing bench presses last week now i cannot do a push up?

I started doing super sets last week 3 sets of 10 bench presses at 135 lbs. after each set did 10 push ups.I'm currently 200 lbs. Now a week later I CANNOT DO A SINGLE PUSH UP!!!!! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME? WHAT IS WRONG AND WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX THIS PROBLEM? I'M NO LONGER SORE AND I CANNOT STILL DO A SINGLE ONE?

magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    wow, I feel your pain there, Is anything bothering you shoulder, I can't possibly believe your still sore, that sounds weird
    East Coast Mecca
    http://bevfrancis.com/

Originally Posted by magic15 View Post
    wow, I feel your pain there, Is anything bothering you shoulder, I can't possibly believe your still sore, that sounds weird
    That's the crazy thing I'm not sore anymore. I just don't have the strength to do one push up.

repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Michael41085 View Post
    I started doing super sets last week 3 sets of 10 bench presses at 135 lbs. after each set did 10 push ups.I'm currently 200 lbs. Now a week later I CANNOT DO A SINGLE PUSH UP!!!!! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME? WHAT IS WRONG AND WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX THIS PROBLEM? I'M NO LONGER SORE AND I CANNOT STILL DO A SINGLE ONE?
    What happens when you try to do a push up - do you feel any pain at all? Can you do a modified pushup? Try these to check that you've got the necessary range of motion in your shoulders.
    Change what you do and you'll change who you are.

Originally Posted by repsandsets View Post
    What happens when you try to do a push up - do you feel any pain at all? Can you do a modified pushup? Try these to check that you've got the necessary range of motion in your shoulders.
    I don't feel any pain, It's just when I start my push up from the top and go down I don't have the strength to come up, nor the strength to come up if I start from the bottom. What is a modified push up?

Registered User devilsrule61287's Avatar
    devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Is this weakness in just one arm, or in both? Did your arm feel particularly sore after that workout last week? Any tingling or numbness in the arm? I had an issue where I was doing bench, incline bench, then too many tricep dips (as a beginner, I was overdoing it). About 20 minutes afterward, a fatigue set into my right arm that was much more intense than usual. Couldn't even make a muscle, since the arm felt so dead. After that, some numbness set in from the elbow to the wrist. This injury lasted about 6 weeks before it fully healed.

But the almost total lack of strength was the key indicator that something was wrong. I realized it at a particularly poor moment, since I went to do some DB chest flyes on a bench, and realized as the weight was coming down that my arm muscles wouldn't tighten to support the weight. Luckily avoided a horrible shoulder snap by tossing the weight down quickly.

Originally Posted by devilsrule61287 View Post
    Is this weakness in just one arm, or in both? Did your arm feel particularly sore after that workout last week? Any tingling or numbness in the arm? I had an issue where I was doing bench, incline bench, then too many tricep dips (as a beginner, I was overdoing it). About 20 minutes afterward, a fatigue set into my right arm that was much more intense than usual. Couldn't even make a muscle, since the arm felt so dead. After that, some numbness set in from the elbow to the wrist. This injury lasted about 6 weeks before it fully healed.

But the almost total lack of strength was the key indicator that something was wrong. I realized it at a particularly poor moment, since I went to do some DB chest flyes on a bench, and realized as the weight was coming down that my arm muscles wouldn't tighten to support the weight. Luckily avoided a horrible shoulder snap by tossing the weight down quickly.
    The weakness is in both arms. My arms and chest were so sore and painful that I could barely put my clothes on. So are you saying that it can be a chance that I won't be able to do push ups for six weeks cause it sounds like the same injury that you had?

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOOUUTT!!

caps is for yelling.

In all seriousness, could you do 1 pushup before benching? If you collapse at the bottom it's because you just don't have the strength. I don't know why, but if you can do 10 reps of 135(all the way down), I find it hard to believe that you can't even do one push up.

repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't feel any pain, It's just when I start my push up from the top and go down I don't have the strength to come up, nor the strength to come up if I start from the bottom. What is a modified push up?
    Modified or half pushup - so like a normal pushup, but resting on your knees rather than your toes, to reduce the weight. The movement at the arms remains the same.
    Change what you do and you'll change who you are.

VrnRap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im just a beginner but, 2 weeks ago i just couldnt lift much i just sorta got weak in my arms. They werent sore but just weak. Theyre all better now. Give it time?

OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50) OptimumBody will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try re-educating your body for push-ups. What you said can happen. Don't worry. You just need re-education. Ask someone to help you by supporting your abdomen and reducing a bit of the tension while you do a push up. Do partial push-ups if neccessary. How about planks? Can you do them properly?

playhardor will become famous soon enough. (+50) playhardor will become famous soon enough. (+50) playhardor will become famous soon enough. (+50) playhardor will become famous soon enough. (+50) playhardor will become famous soon enough. (+50) playhardor will become famous soon enough. (+50) playhardor will become famous soon enough. (+50) playhardor will become famous soon enough. (+50) playhardor will become famous soon enough. (+50) playhardor will become famous soon enough. (+50) playhardor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I kind of have a similar problem all though I don't really care.. I've been hitting bench consististly for a while now and gaining weight and putting more weight on the bar every week or adding more reps, but it seems like the stronger i get at bench the ****tier I get at push ups. I can still do a bunch but it takes so much more effort. Maybe cause i the gained weight , maybe....

JinKazama23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JinKazama23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JinKazama23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JinKazama23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JinKazama23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JinKazama23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JinKazama23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JinKazama23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JinKazama23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JinKazama23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JinKazama23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can you still bench press? Did you experience any weakness in other exercises?

Sometimes weakness with no pain can be associated with nerve damage, but that is unlikely if pushups is the only affected movement.

Luvlifting247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Luvlifting247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up This. Happened to me

I had the same problem once and it went away it was like I over stretched the muscle so even when the soreness went away I was still not able to until the muscle returned to its proper form. Kinda like when your ankle just gives out for no reason, but all the time. You will get your strength and dexterity back over time

Registered User devilsrule61287's Avatar
    devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The weakness is in both arms. My arms and chest were so sore and painful that I could barely put my clothes on. So are you saying that it can be a chance that I won't be able to do push ups for six weeks cause it sounds like the same injury that you had?
    Hard to tell. The orthopedist I saw wasn't entirely sure what my injury was. Since I had numbness/weakness with only minimal pain, it was hard to pinpoint the issue. Had some discomfort in the elbow, but also had discomfort in the part of the forearm muscle just below the elbow. He said the baseline rule is to first try rest, icing, and compression. He said most serious muscle strains take about 4-6 weeks to heal fully.

But yours doesn't really sound like mine. I never felt much pain at all. It was more just a rush of absolute muscle fatigue (and then numbness). And it was only in one arm. What would be the chances of both arms enduring a strain of some sort at the exact same time? But regardless, I would just keep resting, icing the painful/fatigued areas, and perhaps applying some compression to the problematic areas.

preacher of simplicity godsamurai's Avatar
    godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    sounds like muscle is torn, but hope that's not the case. Week should be enough for arm to recover if it was related for arm being exhausted. Sports massage might help if you can find local ones..
    good luck and I say least try some lighter weight for safer purpose on bench to see how it goes. If you have no problem and be able to do 135pds again, then I think it's something very strange.
    the only possibility i can think of is you probably have done shoulder or tricep exercise during that week resting or even just a day before that 1 push up.
    Dymatize ISO-100 protein: 25g protein, 1 carb, 0 fat, 0 lactose, 0 sugar
    That's all you need.

Personal Dymatize protein review (2011):

wheelerx50 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wheelerx50 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wheelerx50 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wheelerx50 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wheelerx50 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wheelerx50 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wheelerx50 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wheelerx50 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wheelerx50 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wheelerx50 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wheelerx50 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by godsamurai View Post
    sounds like muscle is torn, but hope that's not the case.
    he would fuking know that he tore a muscle no matter how incompetent he is in other areas. I suppose it could be a case like some fat bish who doesn't realize she hasn't had her period for a while and pops out a kid without knowing she is pregnant
    IG: @wheelerx