aspiringvsquad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspiringvsquad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspiringvsquad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I broke my neck wrestling. Read about my recovery here

On the last weekend of winter break, I was at a wrestling tournament about an hour away from my hometown. I was doing alright, and wrestling strong. Then, during the last few minutes of a close match, my opponent tried to roll me over and instead threw me onto my head. At first, I didn't realize that my neck was damaged at all, because the nerve that runs down my left arm had been so damaged by the shattering of the vertebrae that the pain from that was drowning out my pain from my neck. I had to forfeit the match, then walked off the mat with my head up. My coach convinced me that I needed to go to the hospital, and I got driven a mile and half there. After a wait and finally a CT scan of my neck, the doctors started to get really careful around me, had to put me on a backboard, cut off my clothes and put me in an ambulance so that I could ride to the nearest tier one trauma center, which was an hour away (40 minutes if you don't have to follow any speed limits)

I was in the hospital for three days, during which time I was heavily medicated on painkillers. I had a spinal fusion and a diskectomy in the C6/C7 region of my spine, which is right around your shoulder blades. now, weeks later, I still have nerve pain in my left arm and have been forbidden from lifting anything heavier than 15 pounds, and any sort of weight training at all by my doctors. I have fatigue issues, but I'm sitting on an exercise bike for about an hour a week, because cardio is the only thing that I'm allowed to do right now, and that's the most that I'm able to.

What bothers me the most is that before this, I would work out for 3 or 4 hours a day. An hour of weights in the morning, an hour of cardio in the afternoon, and wrestling practice. Now, I'm just a husk of what I was. I'm trying as hard as I can to recover, but now that it's been a few weeks and my friends aren't visiting as often, I feel like I need some moral support from the BB community. Hopefully I make a full recovery, and can be an inspiration for others who are working through an injury like I am.

For now, let's make this an injury motivation/ training tips thread, as well as a general discussion for people who are wondering about working out after taking a pretty long break. I know I don't have many posts, but this happened before I could become to involved. God bless.

DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sorry to hear about your accident brother, but remember adversity makes us stronger. What is the prognosis on your recovery time and what sort of limitations will you permanently have?
    If your looking at some other types of exercise, I'd probably buy some forearm gripers and also try doing occlusion work with light dumbbells (like 15lb or less ) for arms and perhaps even occlusion sprints on the bike. Here is an excellent article on how to utilize occlusion work with knee wraps http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/ABCocclusionpaper.pdf .

Keep your out look sharp and know that while this may be a road block it's not the end.

aspiringvsquad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspiringvsquad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspiringvsquad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    prognosis is good, it looks like I'll be in a neck brace for another month or 2, and full physical recovery in the 3-8 month range. Until 2/20/13 I'm not allowed to do any weight training, the 15 pounds is so that I can wear clothes, shoes, and lift my bag up. I'm reading the occlusion article, any exercise is good exercise. Sprints sound good on the bike, as long as I don't jar my neck I should be ok.

I'm gonna work out tomorrow, I'll post back on how I do.

DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by aspiringvsquad View Post
    prognosis is good, it looks like I'll be in a neck brace for another month or 2, and full physical recovery in the 3-8 month range. Until 2/20/13 I'm not allowed to do any weight training, the 15 pounds is so that I can wear clothes, shoes, and lift my bag up. I'm reading the occlusion article, any exercise is good exercise. Sprints sound good on the bike, as long as I don't jar my neck I should be ok.

I'm gonna work out tomorrow, I'll post back on how I do.
    I've never tried occlusion with cardio before (although have heard of it being done) but with weights it's typically that you wrap the upper part of the muscle your working on with about a 7-8 of 10 tightness level, do 30 reps with a 20-50% weight (of your 1rm) and then do 3 more sets of 15 reps with about only 30seconds between each set. You then release the wraps, since wearing them for longer then like 15-20 minutes can be negative.

I think for the cardio it's more like a 5 or 6 out of 10 tightness- maybe try doing like 20second all out sprints on the bike with 60 second between each one at a slower pace, then at about the 10 minute mark take off the wraps. If it's anything like occluding when lifting it'll give you an insane pump lol.

I would expect that the interval training should help with your fatigue too. Keep us updated brother!

ArtistBrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) ArtistBrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) ArtistBrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) ArtistBrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) ArtistBrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) ArtistBrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) ArtistBrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) ArtistBrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) ArtistBrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) ArtistBrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) ArtistBrahs is a name known to all. (+5000)

re

One question. I am considering joining a MMA/ Wrestling gym to hone self defense skills and agility levels. I was concerned about how likely it is to get injured doing this type of training, as a injury in one form or another would really set me back.

Im not looking to do tournaments or anything super intense, but i would like to spar alot during training sessions.

How likely is an injury doing something like this? Do you feel like wrestling might not be for you, or do you plan to start training with it again once you recover?

Thanks, and god speed on your recovery!

Update: I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill and got to around .6 miles, doing 3 and a half miles an hour. That's the fastest I've done since the injury! I tried occlusion on my calves for a few minutes afterwords, I think I might have wrapped my legs a little too loosely, I'll change that next time though.

Originally Posted by ArtistBrahs View Post
    One question. I am considering joining a MMA/ Wrestling gym to hone self defense skills and agility levels. I was concerned about how likely it is to get injured doing this type of training, as a injury in one form or another would really set me back.

Im not looking to do tournaments or anything super intense, but i would like to spar alot during training sessions.

How likely is an injury doing something like this? Do you feel like wrestling might not be for you, or do you plan to start training with it again once you recover?

Thanks, and god speed on your recovery!
    My injury isn't too common, but there's always a danger of head/neck injuries when wrestling or doing MMA. This wasn't my first Head/neck injury, I've had a few concussions before but this was my worst. If you're careful when practicing throws you should be alright, but anything can happen during a match, Especially in MMA.

jakesyl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakesyl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakesyl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakesyl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakesyl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakesyl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakesyl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakesyl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakesyl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakesyl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakesyl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    On the last weekend of winter break, I was at a wrestling tournament about an hour away from my hometown. I was doing alright, and wrestling strong. Then, during the last few minutes of a close match, my opponent tried to roll me over and instead threw me onto my head. At first, I didn't realize that my neck was damaged at all, because the nerve that runs down my left arm had been so damaged by the shattering of the vertebrae that the pain from that was drowning out my pain from my neck. I had to forfeit the match, then walked off the mat with my head up. My coach convinced me that I needed to go to the hospital, and I got driven a mile and half there. After a wait and finally a CT scan of my neck, the doctors started to get really careful around me, had to put me on a backboard, cut off my clothes and put me in an ambulance so that I could ride to the nearest tier one trauma center, which was an hour away (40 minutes if you don't have to follow any speed limits)

I was in the hospital for three days, during which time I was heavily medicated on painkillers. I had a spinal fusion and a diskectomy in the C6/C7 region of my spine, which is right around your shoulder blades. now, weeks later, I still have nerve pain in my left arm and have been forbidden from lifting anything heavier than 15 pounds, and any sort of weight training at all by my doctors. I have fatigue issues, but I'm sitting on an exercise bike for about an hour a week, because cardio is the only thing that I'm allowed to do right now, and that's the most that I'm able to.

What bothers me the most is that before this, I would work out for 3 or 4 hours a day. An hour of weights in the morning, an hour of cardio in the afternoon, and wrestling practice. Now, I'm just a husk of what I was. I'm trying as hard as I can to recover, but now that it's been a few weeks and my friends aren't visiting as often, I feel like I need some moral support from the BB community. Hopefully I make a full recovery, and can be an inspiration for others who are working through an injury like I am.

For now, let's make this an injury motivation/ training tips thread, as well as a general discussion for people who are wondering about working out after taking a pretty long break. I know I don't have many posts, but this happened before I could become to involved. God bless.
    As a wrestler this is good to know best of luck

Workout/recovery update: today I did some intervals on an exercise bike for 10 minutes (30 seconds on, a minute and a half off) then went to the treadmill where I gradually increased speed and elevation from 3 mph and 0 degrees to 4 mph and 15 degrees. Tht might have been a bit excessive, because it seems like I aggravated to area of injury a little bit.

Even with the aggravation, I feel stronger than I did yesterday, so I'm improving. The only downer was that there was a US track and field event on the Tv right in front of me, which really hit home how far I need to go.

Update: No workout today, I was pretty tired after school. Sloppy joes for dinner always pick up the spirits of course.

Went to the gym today, walked on the stair stepper. I felt stronger today than I did before, I have a follow up appt with one of the doctors soon to see if i get my neck brace off.

OfficerJimLahey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OfficerJimLahey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OfficerJimLahey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OfficerJimLahey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OfficerJimLahey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OfficerJimLahey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OfficerJimLahey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OfficerJimLahey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OfficerJimLahey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OfficerJimLahey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OfficerJimLahey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Went to the gym today, walked on the stair stepper. I felt stronger today than I did before, I have a follow up appt with one of the doctors soon to see if i get my neck brace off.
    Good stuff man, nice effort. Hope the appt goes well!
    Baltimore Orioles
    Most positive poster in this thread.

MFC Poor Crew President and Founder.

Sorry about the long time between posts, I've been really busy trying to get caught up on my schoolwork, since I didn't go for a couple weeks. Beyond the weakness from the nerve damage I've been noticing definite loss of definition, as well as what feels like atrophy in my chest and arms, especially my left one (where the nerve damage is)

The doctors said that the nerves regenerate at between 1 and 4 mm per day, so that'll be a bit if the healing started at one end of my arm and has to work to the other. I think that it's the nerve stuff, but my left side lat and pec have been really sore to the touch.

On the plus side, I've been feeling a lot more energetic, and I've been able to work out longer each time I go to the gym. Right now I'm at just shy of half an hour of a combination of stationary biking and walking on the treadmill, which is a big improvement from when I last posted.

At school I'm handling the stairs a lot better, I'm just pretty winded when I get to the top. That's probably got as much to do with lugging a backpack around as it does with the injury.

I haven't gone back to wrestling practice since the accident (to watch, I'm not allowed to wrestle anymore), but I think I'm going to do that sometime this week. The last time I watched a match was a little bit ago, and it made me really uncomfortable to see people in a lot of potentially dangerous situations where they could possibly hurt their necks and backs. I had to leave after the first match. Ah well, I should probably talk to someone about that.

Overall, though, I'm doing a lot better. I've been admitted to my first choice college, signed up for a residence hall, and put down a deposit to confirm my spot for the fall of 2013. I'm less fatigued, more energetic, and have less pain and soreness, as well as weakness, overall.

Awesome to hear you got into your first choice man.
    I think it's perfectly normal to have a hard time watching wrestling after your accident. Especially so soon after.

I wouldn't worry about the muscular atrophy much, once you're recovered you'll have the rest of your life to gain muscle. Sounds like you're making some good progress on the cardio though, keep pushing man!

TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSFP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Keep hustlin cuz
    Take nothing for granted and enjoy life as a whole, the ups and downs, its all part of the ride and makes us who we are. -saffaBRAH (RIP)

--♥♥--♥♥--TEAM MISC BIG C SUPPORT--♥♥--♥♥--

RIP mainsqueeze530 1991-2013

SACRAMENTO KINGS

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Starting weight: 119

I finished up a good week. I've been a lot quicker on my feet at school, and a bit less tired at the end of the day. I have an appointment on Feb 20th to get an xray taken and to see if my spine is fused enough to take off my neck brace (asdghasdghasdg this thing is uncomfortable! haha). Also, I'm hoping that they lift the restriction on lifting then.

Since I'm not allowed to do any more wrestling or rugby, I think that I'm going to focus more on my swimming, biking, and running and do some triathlons after i'm all healed up. This might mean I might not bulk up as much as I could, but I'll be super cut! lol.

Anyways: I'm healing, and I'm in better spirits than I've been recently.

poolshark472 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poolshark472 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poolshark472 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poolshark472 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poolshark472 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poolshark472 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poolshark472 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poolshark472 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poolshark472 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poolshark472 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poolshark472 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry you have to be dealing with an injury like that. Read as much as you can for now - learn while your body is recovering. That's how I made it through my last major health concern.

stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stone_free10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I finished up a good week. I've been a lot quicker on my feet at school, and a bit less tired at the end of the day. I have an appointment on Feb 20th to get an xray taken and to see if my spine is fused enough to take off my neck brace (asdghasdghasdg this thing is uncomfortable! haha). Also, I'm hoping that they lift the restriction on lifting then.

Since I'm not allowed to do any more wrestling or rugby, I think that I'm going to focus more on my swimming, biking, and running and do some triathlons after i'm all healed up. This might mean I might not bulk up as much as I could, but I'll be super cut! lol.

Anyways: I'm healing, and I'm in better spirits than I've been recently.
    Really glad to hear that you are progressing and definitely feeling better. As of mental 'thing' and watching wrestling matches and practices, i feel you, it is completely normal, while you are injured and unable to play your sport, to feel (lets say) uncomfortable watching it.

I hope they lift your restriction on lifting but I know you are smart enough to take it easy even then, and go slow. Not a small thing to mess with.
    Keep biking, and once you get cleared start swimming!

Keep us posted mate!