Msmoak15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Bill Starr's works!

Just wanting to put out there if anyone is looking for a strength gaining program for football rugby etc..
    Been on bill Starr's for 3 weeks
    Lifts goin up great.. 5 rep max
    Bench: 185 to 205
    Squat: 295 to 315 ( felt like I could do 335 easy)
    Row 175 to 200
    Oh press 120 to 140
    Deadlift 285 to 315

I've gained about 4lbs. Being in college it's tough to get your meals in. But this program pays of if u stick with it.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great to hear! Keep it up.

RockyCapone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RockyCapone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RockyCapone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RockyCapone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RockyCapone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RockyCapone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RockyCapone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This program ****ing rocks!!! On 7th week now. Love it. Wish i found it years ago
    best lifts 2-04-13
    Squat 355x1
    Bench 270x1
    Deadlift 465x1
    Bodyweight 198 at 41 years young 16% BF.
    "When is it my turn?"

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    basic programs like that produce better results for just about everybody.

SyrianGasol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm on my fourth week and it's also working wonders!

hansomreiste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also want to try this but when it comes to simplicity, SL5x5 looked much easier to get to me. You can find a link for Bill Starr's training on the top sticky thread, I checked it out there and I was just like, "what to do when and how?"

Is there anyone who can share a link or simply tell about the basics of this program? How do we start as a beginner and how do we carry on, doing what kind of replacements and changes in lifts? I am just very "new" to this stuff. Which one should I start with? When should I start doing power routine instead of beginner etc?

@hansomreiste.
    I too was unsure but after studying it became clear.
    What I did was start of with a weight I new I could do for my first day. Since it is ramping sets that means you progressively increase weight until you get to your 5 rep max. For example on Monday you have bench squat and row.. You have five sets for each excersize. Ill use my numbers for last Monday
    Squat: 165, 205, 245, 285, 305
    Bench: 140, 155, 170, 190, 200
    Row: 135, 155, 170, 185, 200
    This is what is ment by ramping and the last set is your 5 rep max
    Wednesday is different you do light squats for 4 sets. The first three sets are the same and for the fourth set repeat the thirds weight. Deads and oh press are ramping working up to your five rep max
    On Friday it gets tricky. You have squats bench and row and you are essentially working toward a new five rep max for the next week. For the first four sets you ramp up the same as Monday, then the fifth set is of three reps and its a higher weight then previous five rep max. So if 200 on bench was for 5, then I would do 205 for three. And en you have a set of 8 with the third sets weight.

It may seem like a lot of squatting but your body gets use to it. Personally I love squatting.
    Also I add in a supplementing excersize day on Sunday usually doing curls, triceps, shoulder superset and pull ups.
    I hope this helps. Any further questions let me no happy to answer

KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Of course it work. Why wouldn't it? It just takes time and effort to see get there. Good job though!
    Pokemon X and Y crew FC: 5215-0470-3034 (X)

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Msmoak15 View Post
    Just wanting to put out there if anyone is looking for a strength gaining program for football rugby etc..
    Been on bill Starr's for 3 weeks
    Lifts goin up great.. 5 rep max
    Bench: 185 to 205
    Squat: 295 to 315 ( felt like I could do 335 easy)
    Row 175 to 200
    Oh press 120 to 140
    Deadlift 285 to 315

I've gained about 4lbs. Being in college it's tough to get your meals in. But this program pays of if u stick with it.
    Nice job man! Great that you found a good program that works for you. Just keeping going hard at it and you will continue to see gains!
    5' 11", 225 lbs
    BF: ~17%
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 485
    Power Clean: 295

Patience and Hard Work.

My journal from high school football through my current college football career:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145019721&pagenumber

Originally Posted by LiftNPlay View Post
    Nice job man! Great that you found a good program that works for you. Just keeping going hard at it and you will continue to see gains!
    I appreciate it. Main goal is to get weight up. Tryin to play ball in college next semester.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hansomreiste wanted a breakdown of the program. So here it is:

Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 5x5 ramping up to a top set of squat, bench and power clean.

Once you tap that out, keep the same basic template, but only do your sets with 60% of monday's weight on wednesday and 80% on friday.

When that taps out, move to "Sets across" for monday so that you're doing 5x5 with one weight. Wednesday, do the same with 60%. Friday, ramp up 4x5 and set a PR with your 5th set in either a set of 3 or 5.

When you can manage that, switch the exercises on the light day for ones which you're flat out doing 60% of monday's weight. ie. Press or incline instead of Bench, split squats or front squats for squat.

You can do the same with friday's workout using exercises you can handle for 80% for a break from setting PRs each week.

Starr adds leg extensions and curls, bicep curls, chins, high pulls, rows and deadlifts throughout the progression. This is the basis of it, though.

There are a lot of variations on this. Even Starr's own articles vary. There are plenty of people who have different interpretations of his book and articles. They all follow similar paths, though.

I think the rows Msmoak mentions above are from the Madcow or Pendlay variations, which may be even better for many.

Just Found This

oldschooltrainer.com/bill-starrs-5-x-5-training/

Quite a good breakdown. Sorry, I can't post links, though.

I've red rows can be substituted in. Idk but every 6 weeks ima switch them up for cleans anyways.

JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you're only 3 weeks in then shouldnt you still be working up towards your original 5RM? Great to hear about your lifts improving but I was under the impression you don't start lifting heavier than you have until 4 weeks into the program.

Not the way I understood it but I could be wrong. I just started right away ramping to my original 5rm and the following weeks built upon it. It worked out so I'm not complaining

It doesn't matter, really. The 4 week build-up is in most programs for people who aren't going to cope with the loads, exercises or volume. If you are already training, you don't need to worry.

Since you're getting good results, it clearly isn't broken.