ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I want to do a lot of cardio while maintaining as much stregnth as possible.

Would Starting Strength still be the best program for this? I want to do a LOT of cardio, maybe even start running marathons and junk. I know Starting strength says for the best results, do a MINIMAL amount of cardio, but I was thinking, if I did want to maintain the maximum amount of muscle, there's really not a better program out there for that is there? I could be wrong.

Also, let's say I'm correct. Let's say I'm doing starting strength, and all my lifts begin to stall, presumably because of all the cardio I'm doing. And let's say through all of this, I have gained as much strength as possible while doing this program, with the excessive amount of cardio. Would I be able to benefit from an intermediate program at that point? Such as the 5x5? Or would I just need to stick with SS, and be happy that I'm able to keep the amount of muscle/strength that I already have?

and don't tell me "strength training or cardio, choose one." If you read what I'm really asking, I'm confident there really is a definitive answer for my question.

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if you plan to do both, I wouldn't expect to be great at either.
    you're talking about cardio, but haven't really stated your plan.
    you don't have to choose between the 2 activities, but I wouldn't expect to excel at both at the same time

if you decide that running long distances appeals to you, it might be difficult to gain/maintain strength and size
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItzYerBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    if you plan to do both, I wouldn't expect to be great at either.
    you're talking about cardio, but haven't really stated your plan.
    you don't have to choose between the 2 activities, but I wouldn't expect to excel at both at the same time

if you decide that running long distances appeals to you, it might be difficult to gain/maintain strength and size
    All of that is cool with me, man. I know and understand all of that very well. What I'm asking is, in order to maintain the MOST muscle while doing a lot of cardio, would I benefit most from SS or some other program?

TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be a possibility for him to maintain his heavy cardio and muscle mass if he increased his caloric intake by a lot? Granted, with heavy cardio, I'm sure he'd lose SOME muscle mass, but if he just ate a lot more, wouldn't that allow him to keep more muscle mass than his current diet?
    Feb 1, 2013 (started getting serious)/Current maxes at bw of 156-162lbs

Bench 205x3 (went back up about two inches before touching chest)/300
    Squat 230x5 (half squat)/350 (below parallel)
    Deadlift 185x5/475

Cutting [ ]
    Bulking [ X ]
    Workout log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159776261&p=1197756951#post1197756951

Hags is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hags is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hags is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hags is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hags is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hags is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hags is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hags is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hags is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hags is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hags is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TheBeastTyler View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be a possibility for him to maintain his heavy cardio and muscle mass if he increased his caloric intake by a lot? Granted, with heavy cardio, I'm sure he'd lose SOME muscle mass, but if he just ate a lot more, wouldn't that allow him to keep more muscle mass than his current diet?
    To add to tyler's post in order to keep the maximum amount of muscle while loading on a ton of cardio you need to do 2 things. One, eat ALOT. You're going to need to ingest way above maintenance for this. And 2 you need to be smart about when you do cardio. Try to keep resistance training and cardio as far apart as possible (Resistance in the morning, cardio at night for example)

shmitchell will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmitchell will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmitchell will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmitchell will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmitchell will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmitchell will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmitchell will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmitchell will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmitchell will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmitchell will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmitchell will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    [QUOTE= Try to keep resistance training and cardio as far apart as possible (Resistance in the morning, cardio at night for example)[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it....spread apart and EATTTTTTT.
    Bench - 290
    Deadlift - 385
    Squat - 440

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132065523

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128291381

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151733943

rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You'll need to eat to keep up with your activity level, what program you go on doesn't really matter but SS would be a good one
    - Gym over everything Beta Crew
    - Hungry even when Bulking Crew
    - Glorious God Gamer
    - Would rather risk fatherfood then wear protection Crew

wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In addition to some of the advice so far, look into getting some energy gels and different things you can ingest during your long runs. Personally, I could never get myself to eat during a run like others did regularly. I always felt stronger after my runs if I put Purple Wraath in my water/gatorade, and drank a protein shake after my run. I felt weak and deflated if I didn't.

On a related note, do your feet a favor and get some Smartwool socks. I felt like a moron paying $15 for a pair of socks, but they are the real deal and help avoid awesome side effects of running tons of miles...like black toe. I am also a heavy sweater, so by mile 5 or so I'd be running in a pile of sweat and hear "sqush, sqush, sqush" with every step! The smartwool took care of that issue as well.

TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    seems like youre in a similar boat to me strenght trained bulked strong neglected cardio a bit but now want to get good at cardio and lean out

im thinking about doing triathlons but i want to maintain muscle and not get skinnyfat any recomendations?