eugene.gray has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

E-Z Bar Curls Grip

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but I was wondering when doing E-Z Bar curls what is the difference between the use of the close grip compared to the wider grip?

Thanks,

Eugene

kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    more of a exercise than equipment question.
    That said, you hit the Bicep at a different angle. The closer you hands are the more outside on the Bicep, the wider the more inside.
    Do straight bar curls if you want the best results and do hammer curls for peak. the E-Z curl bar is not the best for general work but for an advanced BB'er fine tuning.
    I sell home and commercial fitness equipment, so if you have questions on equipment PM me and I will help.

“When the light comes down, and the earth shakes with the footsteps of a thousand battalions, when the air sings with the sound of clashing shields, and the ground is wet with the blood of men, that is when I am most alive. That is when my life is taken to the edge of the point, that is when I am invincible until the moment of death”

-Unknown Spartan Hoplite, 461 B.C.-

HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kelt_22 View Post
    more of a exercise than equipment question.
    That said, you hit the Bicep at a different angle. The closer you hands are the more outside on the Bicep, the wider the more inside.
    Do straight bar curls if you want the best results and do hammer curls for peak. the E-Z curl bar is not the best for general work but for an advanced BB'er fine tuning.
    Agree! I still have 2 of these bars but they have collected dust, since I love straight curl bars.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.2

Lifetime reps: TheSuccessful1

sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000)
    havent used one in awhile, but when i did, i simply did 2 sets of each grip..the straight, then inner, then outer. really did blast my biceps, may have to dig that sucker out of storage.

rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by eugene.gray View Post
    Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but I was wondering when doing E-Z Bar curls what is the difference between the use of the close grip compared to the wider grip?

Thanks,

Eugene
    For me, it's just comfort. I'm not so wide so I use the closer grip, which is more comfortable to me than the wider grip. I can't use a straight bar, man, that just kills my wrists, but the slight angle of the EZ bar is just right for me. The muscles used are just about the same for an EZ bar and a straight bar. Just load up heavy and don't make big swingy motions to cheat and you'll nail it. Attempting to finesse the heads of the biceps and other arm muscles is likely far too advanced of a worry for most guys who are just trying to add overall mass. You'll do fine with the EZ bar with good form and enough intensity.

kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    For me, it's just comfort. I'm not so wide so I use the closer grip, which is more comfortable to me than the wider grip. I can't use a straight bar, man, that just kills my wrists, but the slight angle of the EZ bar is just right for me. The muscles used are just about the same for an EZ bar and a straight bar. Just load up heavy and don't make big swingy motions to cheat and you'll nail it. Attempting to finesse the heads of the biceps and other arm muscles is likely far too advanced of a worry for most guys who are just trying to add overall mass. You'll do fine with the EZ bar with good form and enough intensity.
    Comfort is a bid deal.
    The straight bar is a big advantage over the e-z curl though. throw some weight on both and look how the Bicep works. It is not just a BBer thing even Ripptoe and other sports trainers advocate it. the wrist part is a flexability issue in most cases. Mine bothered me as well but, after working into them over a few weeks it is all good now.
    I sell home and commercial fitness equipment, so if you have questions on equipment PM me and I will help.

“When the light comes down, and the earth shakes with the footsteps of a thousand battalions, when the air sings with the sound of clashing shields, and the ground is wet with the blood of men, that is when I am most alive. That is when my life is taken to the edge of the point, that is when I am invincible until the moment of death”

Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ya know kelt after all this time im just now finding out you are absolutely correct.Repped

HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kingmurtaza197 View Post

Always be honest because honesty is the best policy!
    What???

[QUOTE=kingmurtaza197;344504331]

Always be honest because honesty is the best policy!
    Por Que? Nada Se Habla?

Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do EZ curls more as I have bad wrists (even when strapped up) and straight bar curs causes a lot of pain. I can do dumbell curls though, just not bar curls.
    Go big or go home!

captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Mine gets its use on reverse grip curls
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 23 []---[]

"I don't have time to lift, I make time"

Once, at my local gym, I went into the locker room to take a leak. There was this little hairy, naked guy (probably my age) with it swinging down to his knee. He was really showing it off and smiled at me (WTF?!?) and winked. Me, being me, told him out loud, "if you want to impress me with that, have it hold up a barbell with 2 plates a side."

rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Comfort is a bid deal.
    The straight bar is a big advantage over the e-z curl though. throw some weight on both and look how the Bicep works. It is not just a BBer thing even Ripptoe and other sports trainers advocate it. the wrist part is a flexability issue in most cases. Mine bothered me as well but, after working into them over a few weeks it is all good now.
    How is the straight bar a big advantage over the e-z curl bar? I don't get that. Surely you aren't spreading bb myths... (google search for "top 5 bodybuilding myths" and this one usually pops up.) The grips are nearly identical and use the same muscles in your arms in just about the same way. OP question was about wide grip vs. close grip on the e-z bar, anyway, both are also about the same and it doesn't matter much which you use.

Flexibility is no problem for me, nor likely for anyone who prefers the e-z bar. What are you talking about when you say flexibility? I just don't like the straight bar for curls. If you like it, fine, whatever, use it with good results, but there's just no basis for what you're saying.

How is the straight bar a big advantage over the e-z curl bar? I don't get that. Surely you aren't spreading bb myths... (google search for "top 5 bodybuilding myths" and this one usually pops up.) The grips are nearly identical and use the same muscles in your arms in just about the same way. OP question was about wide grip vs. close grip on the e-z bar, anyway, both are also about the same and it doesn't matter much which you use.
    This is no "myth"! I like the straight bar better and it gives you more mass compared to the ez curl. You can't compare both since it hurts your wrists but if it didn't I would have told you to use straight bar for 2 months, than go on ez curl for 2 months and see what made the biggest difference for you. I can guarantee you would have loved the gains made from the straight bar. The grips are not nearly identical. Any twisting of the arm will obviously work a different part of the biceps. For the best mass gains a straight bar is recommended by even experienced lifters. I'm not too much concentrated on arm size myself but it would be nice to have.

Ohh, and you do have a flexibility issue when your wrists are hurting while straight curling.
    Last edited by HardKore79; 06-17-2009 at 07:04 AM.

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Flexibility is no problem for me, nor likely for anyone who prefers the e-z bar. What are you talking about when you say flexibility? I just don't like the straight bar for curls. If you like it, fine, whatever, use it with good results, but there's just no basis for what you're saying.
    Twisting your forearm even slightly reduces the workload of the bicep and shifts it to the brachallis (sp?). Put your elbow at a 90 degree angle, look at your bicep when your wrist is flat (barbell curl) and the twisted (EZ-bar curl), the bicep is fully contracted in the flat position, not the twisted position. Same holds at full contraction. So if you want to isolate the bicep, a straight bar gives you full contraction.

And a lot of people use the EZ-bar beause straight bars put a large strain on the wrist. Generally you can alleviate the stress by stretching your wrists.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

Originally Posted by HardKore79 View Post
    This is no "myth"! I like the straight bar better and it gives you more mass compared to the ez curl. You can't compare both since it hurts your wrists but if it didn't I would have told you to use straight bar for 2 months, than go on ez curl for 2 months and see what made the biggest difference for you. I can guarantee you would have loved the gains made from the straight bar. The grips are not nearly identical. Any twisting of the arm will obviously work a different part of the biceps. For the best mass gains a straight bar is recommended by even experienced lifters. I'm not too much concentrated on arm size myself but it would be nice to have.

Ohh, and you do have a flexibility issue when your wrists are hurting while straight curling.
    Heh, already did this unscientific experiment on myself many years ago, didn't find much difference. The small twist of the arm does change the mechanics, but really not enough to affect any results. I'm not knocking the straight bar, I just don't perceive the same advantage many people do.

Funny side story though... back in the day when I would do straight bar curls at the gym, I would load up the bar...yes... in the squat rack! I am a reformed squat rack curler, I admit it. No one did squats at my old gym anyway but it's still funny to think I was "that guy".

dude, If you dont like it fine and clearly you did not read my posts very well. You are wrong as per, just about every """"SPORTS""""" trainer out there. This is not BB Broscience "feel" crap it is how the body works. As for the OP question I gave him more in depth info. You need to go read some books and do some research before you spout crap you dont know much about.

Heh, already did this unscientific experiment on myself many years ago, didn't find much difference. The small twist of the arm does change the mechanics, but really not enough to affect any results. I'm not knocking the straight bar, I just don't perceive the same advantage many people do.

Funny side story though... back in the day when I would do straight bar curls at the gym, I would load up the bar...yes... in the squat rack! I am a reformed squat rack curler, I admit it. No one did squats at my old gym anyway but it's still funny to think I was "that guy".
    Unscientific?? serious, dude the only unscientific part is what YOU did. Your perception is not needed only the people who know what they are doing and run the scientific part of this field.
    I am going to include a list of books you really need to go read so you stop with this Broscience crap.

Starting Strength=Mark Ripptoe (Ripptoe explains this topic specificly. right after saying it is pointless to a sport BUT, he might as well teach you how because he knows everyone will anyways)

Defying Gravity= Bill Starr

Anything from Kono, Gray cook, Juan carlos santana, Mark Verstegan, Glenn Pendaly, Reg Park, Poloquin, Louie Simmions, Dave tate, Dan Johns, Defanco etc This should be a good start but I can give you more if needed.

Sorry, but people passing on missinfo because they think they know the answers pisses me off.
    As for the Google search, I can jump on it right now and find "proof" the world is flat and the top 5 reasons way.

Kelt, Rplass has been known to pass out judgements like that in the past. Don't take it personal.

But yes, in other words, I don't like when people pass on untrue information. Just because your wrists have taken a crap on you, there's no need to put down a great massbuilder!

Talking

Kelt, Rplass has been known to pass out judgements like that in the past. Don't take it personal.

But yes, in other words, I don't like when people pass on untrue information. Just because your wrists have taken a crap on you, there's no need to put down a great massbuilder!
    Ok. I wont tell him to grap a chair then;-)

Ok. I wont tell him to grap a chair then;-)
    Im sure Rplass won't be back in awhile now.

He's also a firm believer of the smiths.

Im sure Rplass won't be back in awhile now.

He's also a firm believer of the smiths.
    I have no issues with any specific styles or types of trainning per say. It is thinking he is right on a topic he knows nothing about and then acting like he knows the right answer because he did a 5 second google search.
    If he likes a smith great I hope it helps him, just dont make up broscience.

Should I just drop my broscience class than? I thought that was the real deal today...

Should I just drop my broscience class than? I thought that was the real deal today...
    LOL. I worked in gyms for years before I jumped to the equipment side and I know it is alive and kicking. The amount of retard in gyms was too much for me. I can understand not knowing what you are doing when you start out, but when you have not had improvment in 2 yrs you would think they would realize they might be doing it wrong.

but when you have not had improvment in 2 yrs you would think they would realize they might be doing it wrong.
    It boggles my mind when you see guys that post up pics of them on the Pic forum and they have almost close to nothing improvements. There was this guy from middle east that I can remember the most. All chest and nothing else. He posted up vids of his workouts and had a good chuckle watching his form. TERRIBLE on everything.

Dude... Intense, man... ok...

I asked you, "How is the straight bar a big advantage over the e-z curl bar? I don't get that." You answered, "you are wrong", so I think you misunderstood my question as a personal attack on you, which it wasn't. From the way the wrist is held on the straight bar, there is an advantage for the bicep brachii over the brachialis, yes, I agree, but I don't think it's that much. You say that it's a big advantage and I was wondering how that could be so big. Then you became quite passionate about bad information being spread, and sort of aimed that at me in an ad hominem attack, meanwhile neither of us wants bad information spread, so dude, no need to be rude and tell me what I have to do regarding educating myself. And I'm not spouting crap, I'm giving my personal experiences, careful to note my own observations as such to avoid misrepresenting my opinion as fact.

Anyway, I wonder how much the brachialis is emphasized with the wrist turned on the EZ bar. Say the load is distributed between the brachialis and biceps brachii linearly with wrist rotation... Let's say it's 10/90 in full supination (barbell curl), 50/50 in neutral grip (hammer curl) and 90/10 in pronation (reverse curl), so I figure EZ bar grip is like 20/80. Unless you think it's much more than that, the EZ bar is essentially the same as the barbell curl, a bit off, but probably not much. For most guys who are trying to pack on mass, my personal opinion is that the results will be about the same. Some guys get noticeably better results from the barbell curl, great, that's nice for them, some won't get any difference.

My unscientific experiment was unscientific because it had a sample size of 1 (me), I didn't have a good control method, and there were confuscatory variables such as additional load on the biceps from other movements I had incorporated in my routine at the time such as low cable rows and lat pulldowns that made it impossible to distinguish my results solely from straight bar curls or EZ bar curls. Also I might have eaten more or less, or gotten more sleep, who knows? Back then I wasn't so regular and uniform with these things as I am these days.

Ultimately I don't want to engage in some flame war, just lets agree that the two grips are different, you think the barbell curl is much better, I think it's about the same as the EZ bar. The personal attacks aren't cool, so let's stay civil please.

For the OP question, you say ditch the EZ bar and stick to the barbell curls and mix in some hammer curls, that's fine. I would say the EZ bar is ok to use, whichever narrow or wider grip is more comfortable, I agree, hammer curls too, yes, do those and also try cable work for more variation. Would you recommend concentration curls too? Preacher pad?

I've been getting interested in the difference between curling with the arm in front of the body (standing db Preacher curls) versus curling with the arm behind (incline db curls), what do you think? The arm behind would put a longer stretch on the biceps but the arm in front position allows a heavier load at the middle/end of the movement so I'm not sure which would be better.

Dude... Intense, man... ok...

I asked you, "How is the straight bar a big advantage over the e-z curl bar? I don't get that." You answered, "you are wrong", so I think you misunderstood my question as a personal attack on you, which it wasn't. From the way the wrist is held on the straight bar, there is an advantage for the bicep brachii over the brachialis, yes, I agree, but I don't think it's that much. You say that it's a big advantage and I was wondering how that could be so big. Then you became quite passionate about bad information being spread, and sort of aimed that at me in an ad hominem attack, meanwhile neither of us wants bad information spread, so dude, no need to be rude and tell me what I have to do regarding educating myself. And I'm not spouting crap, I'm giving my personal experiences, careful to note my own observations as such to avoid misrepresenting my opinion as fact.

Anyway, I wonder how much the brachialis is emphasized with the wrist turned on the EZ bar. Say the load is distributed between the brachialis and biceps brachii linearly with wrist rotation... Let's say it's 10/90 in full supination (barbell curl), 50/50 in neutral grip (hammer curl) and 90/10 in pronation (reverse curl), so I figure EZ bar grip is like 20/80. Unless you think it's much more than that, the EZ bar is essentially the same as the barbell curl, a bit off, but probably not much. For most guys who are trying to pack on mass, my personal opinion is that the results will be about the same. Some guys get noticeably better results from the barbell curl, great, that's nice for them, some won't get any difference.

My unscientific experiment was unscientific because it had a sample size of 1 (me), I didn't have a good control method, and there were confuscatory variables such as additional load on the biceps from other movements I had incorporated in my routine at the time such as low cable rows and lat pulldowns that made it impossible to distinguish my results solely from straight bar curls or EZ bar curls. Also I might have eaten more or less, or gotten more sleep, who knows? Back then I wasn't so regular and uniform with these things as I am these days.

Ultimately I don't want to engage in some flame war, just lets agree that the two grips are different, you think the barbell curl is much better, I think it's about the same as the EZ bar. The personal attacks aren't cool, so let's stay civil please.

For the OP question, you say ditch the EZ bar and stick to the barbell curls and mix in some hammer curls, that's fine. I would say the EZ bar is ok to use, whichever narrow or wider grip is more comfortable, I agree, hammer curls too, yes, do those and also try cable work for more variation. Would you recommend concentration curls too? Preacher pad?

I've been getting interested in the difference between curling with the arm in front of the body (standing db Preacher curls) versus curling with the arm behind (incline db curls), what do you think? The arm behind would put a longer stretch on the biceps but the arm in front position allows a heavier load at the middle/end of the movement so I'm not sure which would be better.
    Sorry. I did not have my two large coffees(my Crack) yesterday and I am used to people giving half ass remarks based on little real world info. The point I was getting at is the Pros in multiple fields form Sports performance to Powerlifting to Bodybuilding are pretty big on this point and I too have done the basic test of using a DB and holding it in each angle while looking at and feeling my Bicep. Everything the Pros said felt and looked right.

As for the types I suggested I dont think you need a dozen different curls at the same time in a program. To me Hammr and Straight hit the two extremes (aside from the other points) and so would give the most bang for the buck. as I said the e-z works but unless your are a Pro BBer or sub 10% BF it is not that noticeable.
    Thr whole flexability point is if the straight bar hurts to use it is a wrist flexability issue in most cases.

mystrongpoint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

curls

Ok...to the ****ing idiot that thinks hammer curls build the peak of the biceps.... hammer curls build mass......suppinated movements build the peak. If youre going to go off on some guy about correcting you when hes right ,then i might as well tell you how much of an idiot you are for saying something so stupid about something so simple.