Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    FriGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FriGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FriGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FriGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FriGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FriGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench Press on Smith Machine

The gym I joined is kinda of small with new equipment. They only have a Smith Machine & a couple other machines that you can put the weight on to do bench press & incline bench press. I'm just starting out & was wondering if it is ok to use the smith machine for my bench press?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by FriGuy View Post
    The gym I joined is kinda of small with new equipment. They only have a Smith Machine & a couple other machines that you can put the weight on to do bench press & incline bench press. I'm just starting out & was wondering if it is ok to use the smith machine for my bench press?
    Is the Smith your only option?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if thats all there is (as in they dont have power racks or bench press benches) then it would be fine to use. I mean most anything is fine to use as long as you stick with it, it might not be the best solution, but it is better than nothing.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #37 ()---()

Brown nosed white knight Insane247's Avatar
    Insane247 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane247 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane247 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane247 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane247 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane247 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane247 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane247 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane247 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane247 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane247 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    idk why people are always hating on the smith machine. It keeps your form. Go ahead and use it. It still hits your chest regardless of it being a smith machine.

FriGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FriGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FriGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FriGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FriGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FriGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What are power racks??? They have a flat bench & dumb bells. They have a couple other machines that you can add the plates on each side but not sure what they are called.

Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000)
    Answer is...it depends. What are your goals?
    My Cave
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=475500571&posted=1#post475500571
    Post 82 & 83

Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What are power racks???
    I'm going to pretend I didn't see that question, LOL.

Anyway, if the Smith machine is all they have, then go for it. It may not be the best thing, but at the end of the day you are still pushing weight, and that's what matters. Go ahead and use it. As long as you keep adding weight you'll get stronger. Just don't think that the weight you use on the Smith will translate exactly to free weights the next time you use them.

Bnatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bnatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bnatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bnatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bnatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bnatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bnatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bnatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bnatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bnatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bnatural will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You left out dumbbells and barbells, so I assume they don't have these, or they don't have the weights you are looking for (i.e. you want 80s they only have 40s)?

The smith machine is a great option to use, especially if it's your option over traditional machines.
    Youtube.com/LiftingDad
    Athletic Xtreme Operations Mgr.

They have dumb bells & a flat bench but NO barbell. Maybe I can get some pics of what they have. They have a couple of machines like this. A flat & incline one.

http://www.hirepgym.com/images/machi...ch-Press-2.jpg
    Last edited by FriGuy; 04-13-2010 at 05:29 PM.

jayoheazy is just really nice. (+1000) jayoheazy is just really nice. (+1000) jayoheazy is just really nice. (+1000) jayoheazy is just really nice. (+1000) jayoheazy is just really nice. (+1000) jayoheazy is just really nice. (+1000) jayoheazy is just really nice. (+1000) jayoheazy is just really nice. (+1000) jayoheazy is just really nice. (+1000) jayoheazy is just really nice. (+1000) jayoheazy is just really nice. (+1000)
    They have dumb bells & a flat bench but NO barbell. Maybe I can get some pics of what they have. They have a couple of machines like this. A flat & incline one.

http://www.hirepgym.com/images/machi...ch-Press-2.jpg
    1. Do dumbbell bench press then

2. Those are great machines to use, especially because they limit the chance of injury and offer a different angle to hit your chest muscles

I suggest doing a combo Dumbbells + Smith + Hammer Strength (the 'machines' in your link). Start off with flat DB presses, move to Incline hammers, then incline Smiths, down to flat hammers.

keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) keeko is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i actually love smith machines, and love racks too. in an ideal world, you would have access to both, and leverage machines, and...but in the real world, you make do. i've gotten some super workouts on the smith machine at my local gym, and was dead set on getting one until i realized it wouldn't really match the space and decor of my home gym. so smith away, friend...
    labor vincit omnia

video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor

solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So a gym with no barbells? Really? Smtih machine is decent. Not my first choice but beats other machines. If you have an adjustable bench you can change the incline from flat to incline and back down set by set. An interesting workout I did a few times on recommendation and it smoked me.

wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hammer strength stuff is awesome. You can get plenty of work in with DBS, smith and hammer.

dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dparty82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Use them all.

It doesn't matter what you use for working your chest: Smith Machine, Cable Machine, Hammer Strength, Dumbbells, Bench Press with Bar, Power Cage, pushups....... they are all beneficial and will give you great results for building a great chest. Yes, some may be better than others but with a range of usage and changing what type of equipment you train on, will still result in progress.

karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just make sure you don't miss the pegs when you are racking the weight. I remember seeing on here a couple months ago a story about a guy who was benching on a smith and missed the pegs when racking and completely destroyed his face.

ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The smith machine is pretty much all I use for chest other than pushups and using dumbells.

Has worked great for me in the two yrs I've been working out

Thanks for the Help!!! Today was my second day & I worked Arms & Shoulders. I have a lot of reading to do to figure out a good 3 day split for myself.

ddesmondad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    which is better? doing bench presses using dumb bells or the smith machine? (i know the normal barbell bench press undoubtedly hits the chest the best)

it's just like if one day i'm training alone, and to be safe, the option is either the smith machine or dumbbell press. which one should i choose?

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ddesmondad View Post
    which is better? doing bench presses using dumb bells or the smith machine? (i know the normal barbell bench press undoubtedly hits the chest the best)

it's just like if one day i'm training alone, and to be safe, the option is either the smith machine or dumbbell press. which one should i choose?
    Actually the barbell bench press is probably the least effective exercise to isolate and develope the chest out of that group of exercises. I'd have to say d/bell benches first, the smith second, and b/bell benches last out of that grouping to develope the middle chest area. I'd go the same order on a 30 degree incline benchfor developing the upper pecs, and for lower pecs I'd go dips, d/bell declines and then b/bell declines. You're going to get a better ROM and contraction with d/bells than with b/bells. The smith will let you isolate the chest on a fixed plane better than a b/bell bench press.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Insane247 View Post
    idk why people are always hating on the smith machine. It keeps your form. Go ahead and use it. It still hits your chest regardless of it being a smith machine.

I use the smith machine myself, but I am also short, but I think it all has to do with the bench positioning under the bar. You just have to keep working with it to get the best position for your type of workout. I love my machine. I also bought some free hand weights and mys on has a lighter barbell to use so I also use that as well, but with free hand stuff, I don't have the spotter like I do on smith machine. I am careful and I have my son to help spot me when I lift the weights. Sometimes you just have to improvise, but make sure you do the exercises with proper form and use what weight is best for you.

peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peaveysp2g has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ygohome View Post
    The smith machine is pretty much all I use for chest other than pushups and using dumbells.

Has worked great for me in the two yrs I've been working out
    I have been using mine since January 1st of this year, I love it and I have lost over 30 lbs now. I am going to continue using it and I do most all exercises on the machine except for the free weights. What kind of weights do you have on yours and what is the largest weight you have? The largest on mine is 35 and it has 35 lbs barbell.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by peaveysp2g View Post
    I have been using mine since January 1st of this year, I love it and I have lost over 30 lbs now. I am going to continue using it and I do most all exercises on the machine except for the free weights. What kind of weights do you have on yours and what is the largest weight you have? The largest on mine is 35 and it has 35 lbs barbell.
    Hello! How are you? Haven't seen you post in awhile!
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Hello! How are you? Haven't seen you post in awhile!
    Hey I am doing ok, I'm not giving up yet. I have lost more weight and I've been following the 12 week training program on BB. How have you been?

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Incline press on a smith is a good movement. Great feel and stretch. But I wouldn't use it as a primary movement. I've used it in the past as more of an finishing/burnout exercise.

Flat bench press wouldn't be a good idea because the natural motion of the flat bench is in an arc, not straight up and down. Never tried shoulder press. Have done some squats but the same issues are present as with flat bench, it's not a straight up and down movement.

fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by peaveysp2g View Post
    Hey I am doing ok, I'm not giving up yet. I have lost more weight and I've been following the 12 week training program on BB. How have you been?
    Good to see you post again! I have been wondering how your progress was coming along. It looks like you are doing great.

SUPPORTYERLOCALFISTFIGHT luhr13's Avatar
    luhr13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) luhr13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) luhr13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) luhr13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) luhr13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) luhr13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) luhr13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) luhr13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) luhr13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) luhr13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) luhr13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ddesmondad View Post

the smith is good for u for two reasons...
    1. being a beginner it will force u to use proper form n range
    2. working out alone u can still load up on plates without a spot n not hafta worry about safety
    ...ive always liked the smith machine for lifting without a spotter for these reasons. got one in my home gym n use it consistently. a lotta guys will hate on it, but in the end it not only serves its purpose but it will give u a little more confidence that u can add weight without the worry of not having a spotter to pull it off u for that extra rep
    SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FISTFIGHT

"We are a generation of men raised by women, I'm wondering if another woman is really the answer we need"

wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfsburg2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    Actually the barbell bench press is probably the least effective exercise to isolate and develope the chest out of that group of exercises. I'd have to say d/bell benches first, the smith second, and b/bell benches last out of that grouping to develope the middle chest area. I'd go the same order on a 30 degree incline benchfor developing the upper pecs, and for lower pecs I'd go dips, d/bell declines and then b/bell declines. You're going to get a better ROM and contraction with d/bells than with b/bells. The smith will let you isolate the chest on a fixed plane better than a b/bell bench press.

I think every single pro I've every heard discuss this disagrees with you. There is nothing better for building chest thickness than the barbell bench press.

Originally Posted by luhr13 View Post
    the smith is good for u for two reasons...
    1. being a beginner it will force u to use proper form n range
    2. working out alone u can still load up on plates without a spot n not hafta worry about safety
    ...ive always liked the smith machine for lifting without a spotter for these reasons. got one in my home gym n use it consistently. a lotta guys will hate on it, but in the end it not only serves its purpose but it will give u a little more confidence that u can add weight without the worry of not having a spotter to pull it off u for that extra rep
    ^Disagree with everything posted here.

The smith doesn't force good ROM or form. It actually forces a fixed path for the bar to travel which is NOT ideal. As far as safety, you are as safe if not moreso in a power rack. With the smith you have to rack the weight by twisting the bar, in a rack if you fail the weight lands on the safeties.

RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    my chest is still pumped for yesterday evening training on my smith machine .I like the strictness of motion and complete safety that machine offers me ,never mind the fact the jones machine incorporates backwards and forward motion as well.Free weights are good as well ie dumbell press and flyes, i don't train everything on a smith machine but its a very usefull piece of gym equipment .

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wolfsburg2 View Post
    I think every single pro I've every heard discuss this disagrees with you. There is nothing better for building chest thickness than the barbell bench press.
    In reading the post below this of yours it's pretty obvious you're not pro smith. That's fine, we'll have to agree to disagree. The bench press is very much anterior delt and tricep intensive. Look at the range of motion and the contraction between a d/bell bench or even a Hammer Strength machine and a b/bell bench. The contraction at the top of the movement is far more intensive with the d/bell than a b/bell. The natural motion of the bench being arched or curved is more of the powerlifting style or "J" press. This does all it can to take the actual pecs out of the movement. The powerlifter has his elbows more tucked into the sides and lowers the bar to a very low point on the abdomen. The bodybuilding style has the elbows more out away from the body and the bar is lowered to the nipple line or higher. Vince Gironda hated traditional flat benching and instead relied on neck presses in a smith machine. These are intense and offer a great stretch. If you want to isolate the pecs try d/bell benching with your feet in the air. You'll be using a lighter weight but truly isolating the pecs. If you want to have a big bench press number or are preparing for the NFL combine where strength somehow is gauged by how many times a prospect can bench 225 then by all means concentrate soley on the flat bench press and all other movements are ancillary.
    Possibly many old time bodybuilders would have said that the flat b/bell bench is essential in building a big chest due to a lack of options. Most of what I've read said many of them relied upon breathing squats supersetted with pullovers to expand their rib cages thereby building larger chests.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181