BeginnerBilly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Stretching- Worth It?

So I'm on 'whopping' day two of my brand new workout, and I'm feeling this awesome burn in my arms and chest (and hopefully my back by tomorrow morning). Whenever I go to the gym, I stretch for maybe 5 minutes before I begin my workout.. nothing serious, just like my arm over my chest/behind the back and stuff, but nothing that would actually make a difference.

My question is, would it make a noticeable difference if I stretched, say, 15 minutes before and after my workout? If so, what stretches should I be doing?

(My workout is completely upper body, with calves every 3rd day)

Location: Leeds, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JamesNico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesNico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesNico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesNico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesNico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesNico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesNico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesNico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesNico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesNico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesNico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Before workout, dynamic stretches.

After workout static stretches, hold for around 30 seconds.

or Developmental stretches if you fancy, so basically stretch to the point of tension, hold for a few seconds. Then, when the tension eases, stretch a little further. Total time for stretch = 30 seconds to 1 minute.

A few more questions, should I use any stretching equipment at the gym? They have foam rollers, a spiderweb stretcher, and alot of bands; would you recommend any of those?

TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    To the question - yes, absolutely. Partly due to poor training, but also due to a lack of flexibility, I can't barbell bench without pain, press in a direct line overhead without some shoulder tension, deadlift or barbell row without low back issues, and my shoulders are so tight I can't even put the bar on my back to back squat. So yeah, stretch. Can provide you with a list of stuff if you want.

As for your other question, foam rollers are great, highly recommend it.

bradroepke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradroepke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradroepke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradroepke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradroepke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradroepke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradroepke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradroepke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradroepke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradroepke is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradroepke is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    STRETCH. You will regret it in the long run if you don't.

Foam rolling, bands, static stretching, dynamic stretching, it's all good. Helps me with recovery a lot!
    The University of Tennessee
    Kinesiology | Biology

-----------

youtube.com/user/bradleyroepke

EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EuropeanHammer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Stretching is a must before working out.
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu l Aesthetics l Strength

Wow, how long did you lift before you started noticing you couldn't do ordinary exercises? I would greatly appreciate it though, I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't able to bench!

Originally Posted by EuropeanHammer View Post
    Stretching is a must before working out.
    About how long do you usually stretch for?

TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheJimmyRustler is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerBilly View Post
    Wow, how long did you lift before you started noticing you couldn't do ordinary exercises? I would greatly appreciate it though, I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't able to bench!
    Oh it took a while, but I noticed nagging feelings before it got too bad. I just wrote them off as nothing serious, and then BAM I'm the mayor of Snap City. I can dumbbell bench, but it's just not the same.

Will do a write up of shiz in a bit.

Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I always take extra time to stretch on leg and back day, for my squats and deads.

DarylAng1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarylAng1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarylAng1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarylAng1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarylAng1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarylAng1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarylAng1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarylAng1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarylAng1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarylAng1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarylAng1996 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    About how long do you usually stretch for?
    I usually stretch for at least 15 minutes. I recently added hips and hamstring stretching to improve flexibility and also to reduce butt-wink when squatting.

Originally Posted by TheJimmyRustler View Post
    Oh it took a while, but I noticed nagging feelings before it got too bad. I just wrote them off as nothing serious, and then BAM I'm the mayor of Snap City. I can dumbbell bench, but it's just not the same.

Will do a write up of shiz in a bit.
    Seems ironic, as your avatar pic is of a barbell bench! Ha I'd appreciate that though. What about stretching hours after a workout? Such as before bed? Or will be these be, for the most part, for before workouts?

AKA: Swolebroham Lincoln kirksofcuz's Avatar
    kirksofcuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) kirksofcuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) kirksofcuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) kirksofcuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) kirksofcuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) kirksofcuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) kirksofcuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) kirksofcuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) kirksofcuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) kirksofcuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) kirksofcuz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bradroepke View Post

Foam rolling, bands, static stretching, dynamic stretching, it's all good. Helps me with recovery a lot!
    This. Suffered from a sports injury once essentially because I didn't stretch enough. More specifically, I didn't stretch my legs, hip-flexors, ITB, TFL, etc. enough.

Now I can literally do the splits. lol.

I'll usually start out on the eliptical and warm up at a decent pace for 5 minutes (stretching cold is no good). Then I'll start with the foam roller slowly getting deep and working it up and down my ITB. Then I'll move on to more typical stretches. A good 20 minutes is spent warming up and stretching before my workout actually begins, especially on leg day.

I'm so glad I began stretching. My body feels so much better.
    -Only one thing in existence has the power to tell you that you can't. That thing is the mind. For it is the mind that manifests our reality, and nothing else.

Originally Posted by bradroepke View Post

Thanks! I'll take your advice!

Originally Posted by kirksofcuz View Post
    This. Suffered from a sports injury once essentially because I didn't stretch enough. More specifically, I didn't stretch my legs, hip-flexors, ITB, TFL, etc. enough.

Now I can literally do the splits. lol.

I'll usually start out on the elliptical and warm up at a decent pace for 5 minutes (stretching cold is no good). Then I'll start with the foam roller slowly getting deep and working it up and down my ITB. Then I'll move on to more typical stretches. A good 20 minutes is spent warming up and stretching before my workout actually begins, especially on leg day.

I'm so glad I began stretching. My body feels so much better.
    Since my workout is primarily upper body, do you think I'd get the same benefit?

Aight, here we go.

Altogether, these stretches clock up to just under 40 minutes - I recommend splitting them into two chunks to be done separately throughout the day, although if it's a lifting day, then the post workout stretching will take away a fair chunk of those. This is a long read, so pepper your angus.

General list

For the neck

The neck/upper traps don't get stretched enough, especially by lifters, and are often too tight in people, again, especially lifters. Can lead to the shoulder girdle literally being lifted out of place, shoulder pain, muscular imbalance, etc. There are 3 real simple variations; 2 of them have to be done for each side.

1 - Just sit upright in your seat, hands straight at your sides and your shoulders pressed down. Keep them pinned down in all these stretches, or the stretch won't be strong. Look straight ahead, and from here just lift your head upwards by imagining you're looking at a bug as it scuttles up the wall. Don't move your neck all over the place, just "lift" your eyes and chin. By the time your chin is pointing towards the ceiling, you should feel it stretching the front of your neck.

2 - Go back to the original position, looking forwards, shoulder down, arms down etc. From here, just imagine trying to bring your right ear to your right shoulder - basically tilting your head sideways. You should feel this stretching the side of your neck - you can gently (GENTLY) apply a bit of pressure to the left side of your head with your right hand to intensify it. Repeat for the other side.

3 - A hybrid of the previous two, start staring forwards. Tilt your head very slightly to your right shoulder. From there, move your head so that you're looking towards the corner of the room. You should feel a light stretch in the front/side of your neck. Now lift your head up, just like in the first neck stretch, until you feel the stretch intensify.

For the shoulder

Go for the sleeper stretch - video link here

For the chest

Stretch out the chest - it's typically tight in people, lifters especially, and can really fck up your form. Here's a great stretch for it. If it aggravates your shoulder (it does mine, but we all know I'm fcked) then you can do something similar by kneeling near a chair and trying to do this.

For the arms

1 - For the biceps, walk up to a wall and put your hand on it, arm straight. Twist your arm so that your hand is sideways on the wall (if your left hand is on the wall, twist it outwards to the left.) From here, move your feet so that your torso is facing the opposite way to where your fingers are pointing. Where your left hand is on the wall and your fingers are pointing left along the wall, your feet, and your torso, should be looking to the right. You can slightly twist your torso to trigger the stretch in the bicep.

2 - For the triceps, this simple stretch is fine. I find it's great to tilt to the side while doing it as it increases the stretch, so if you're stretching your left arm, tilt slightly to the right.

For the lats

Another muscle that, when tight, really throws things off balance, and is typically tight in lifters (dem cobra lats) I find that the best way to stretch the lats is to get on your hands and knees on the floor. To stretch your right lat, lie your right forearm flat on the floor, with your elbow now in place of where your hand previously was, with your forearm at an angle so that your right hand is nearly in line with your left hand. From there, just push your right arm "along" the direction it's "facing" and you should feel the lat stretch. You can lean into it to make it stronger.

(complicated to read and understand, but worth learning)

Hamstring stretch

Do this, but have a chair in front of you or a wall that you can support yourself on, since I'm guessing you won't be able to stretch that far down. This is my HS stretch of choice, since you can do both legs at once, saving time.

Hips

Very important to keep these flexible, since you'll need em for good squats and deadlifts, plus if your hips are fcked, so will your posture be. This is probably the best stretch I've found for them, as it's easy to do, doesn't hurt and is simple.

Glutes

Again, you needa stretch these suckers or you'll be screwed up. This is a good one, but pepper your angus for a helluva stretch if you haven't done it before

Ankles

Important for squatting. You can do this, but I sometimes like to remove the front leg and see how the change of weight bearing changes things up.

Post workout

- Chest
    - Hamstrings
    - Hips
    - Neck

Those are the muscles I recommend be stretched specifically after having done a workout. The rest you can do throughout the day - I hold them usually for 2 minutes each, with the arms and ankles being done for a minute instead. By just doing an extended time, I find it saves me having to go into a stretch, come out, go in, etc as the typical "30 seconds for 3 sets" protocol makes you do.

Hope all this helps.

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    of course! static first, dynamic after.

trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So I'm on 'whopping' day two of my brand new workout, and I'm feeling this awesome burn in my arms and chest (and hopefully my back by tomorrow morning). Whenever I go to the gym, I stretch for maybe 5 minutes before I begin my workout.. nothing serious, just like my arm over my chest/behind the back and stuff, but nothing that would actually make a difference.

My question is, would it make a noticeable difference if I stretched, say, 15 minutes before and after my workout? If so, what stretches should I be doing?

(My workout is completely upper body, with calves every 3rd day)
    Ok... What kind of weights do you do? (i mean amounts)
    Why dont you do legs?
    How long are your workouts?
    Need moar information
    I used to lift
    Now I get triggered by people's poor form while they lift heavier weights than I can
    feelsbadman

*always pick 1 crew*
    *sometimes pick another number once I enter the thread crew*

Originally Posted by trs5 View Post
    Ok... What kind of weights do you do? (i mean amounts)
    Why dont you do legs?
    How long are your workouts?
    Need moar information
    In about an hour (in 3rd period) I can give a more detailed explanation, but Ill do my best to explain for now.

I usually do a 45 minute workout consisting on around 6 to 8 workouts. In the past I have done high reps (15) low weight, but starting next week ill be experimenting with low reps (3-5) and high weight! If you need to know poundage, I can provide that also.

As for why I only do upperbody, I just love seeing results. Yes, you can argue that your lowerbody grows at about the same pace, but its not the same to me. People notice the upperbody more, and I just enjoy working it!

Again, I can give more info in about an hour

rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JamesNico View Post
    Before workout, dynamic stretches.

After workout static stretches, hold for around 30 seconds.

or Developmental stretches if you fancy, so basically stretch to the point of tension, hold for a few seconds. Then, when the tension eases, stretch a little further. Total time for stretch = 30 seconds to 1 minute.
    If you are a powerlifter, sprinter, something like this, dynamic stretches are great. If you are a bodybuilder you should be doing static stretches both before and after. Despite static stretching supposedly "decreasing power output", the muscle can only grow with the room that is provided, so static stretching is suggested to stretch out the fascia that surrounds the muscle.
    “You, me or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth than go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers sayin’, you ain’t where you wanna be because of him or her or anybody!"
    -Rocky Balboa

Originally Posted by rkalsow View Post
    If you are a powerlifter, sprinter, something like this, dynamic stretches are great. If you are a bodybuilder you should be doing static stretches both before and after. Despite static stretching supposedly "decreasing power output", the muscle can only grow with the room that is provided, so static stretching is suggested to stretch out the fascia that surrounds the muscle.
    Alright, so it's time I asked, what the hell is a static stretch?

L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Alright, so it's time I asked, what the hell is a static stretch?
    Static stretch is basically a "traditional" stretch. exp; bending down and touching your toes and holding for 30 seconds. A dynamic stretch, or and active stretch, takes the joints/ muscles through an explosive range of motion related to the exercise you are about to perform. exp; leg swings.

Personally I think its best to do dynamic stretching prior to lifting, even if you arent a power lifter or sprinter and then do static post workout. Generally speaking, dynamic stretching prepares the muscles for action and static prepares the muscles for relaxation. Look up the golgi tendon organ reflex.

L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) L4WLESS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

other important muscles to stretch

In addition to some of the muscle groups another poster suggested, you should also make sure you stretch your IT band, psoas, glutes, among others. The it band is a big one more me, if i ignore it it can and does bother me.

Dzan09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dzan09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dzan09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dzan09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dzan09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dzan09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dzan09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dzan09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dzan09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dzan09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dzan09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If it works for you stretch the **** out of yourselve.When i try to stretch before lifting it impacts to my strenhgt a lot :

In about an hour (in 3rd period) I can give a more detailed explanation, but Ill do my best to explain for now.

I usually do a 45 minute workout consisting on around 6 to 8 workouts. In the past I have done high reps (15) low weight, but starting next week ill be experimenting with low reps (3-5) and high weight! If you need to know poundage, I can provide that also.

As for why I only do upperbody, I just love seeing results. Yes, you can argue that your lowerbody grows at about the same pace, but its not the same to me. People notice the upperbody more, and I just enjoy working it!

Again, I can give more info in about an hour
    Remember how I said that it was poor training that also contributed to me getting injured?

Write up what it is that you do when you're in the gym, because it sounds like you're training yourself to be injured.

Location: Brighton, East Sussex, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    dockss will become famous soon enough. (+50) dockss will become famous soon enough. (+50) dockss will become famous soon enough. (+50) dockss will become famous soon enough. (+50) dockss will become famous soon enough. (+50) dockss will become famous soon enough. (+50) dockss will become famous soon enough. (+50) dockss will become famous soon enough. (+50) dockss will become famous soon enough. (+50) dockss will become famous soon enough. (+50) dockss will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Of course stretch, better safe than sorry man
    Instagram: dockzman
    I follow back.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ev0c
    Check out my lifts =) I sub back also.

Says will become famous soon enough. (+50) Says will become famous soon enough. (+50) Says will become famous soon enough. (+50) Says will become famous soon enough. (+50) Says will become famous soon enough. (+50) Says will become famous soon enough. (+50) Says will become famous soon enough. (+50) Says will become famous soon enough. (+50) Says will become famous soon enough. (+50) Says will become famous soon enough. (+50) Says will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP,

start working legs, just to get dat ass if nothing else. Chicks love it when guys have a nice ass.
    League of Legends: eleshirt