Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DPT31 View Post
    Maybe he confused you for a physical therapist-the only people legally allowed to call themselves PTs. Granted we don't make MD wages but we get anywhere from 60-110k depending on where you live and how good you are(me: just over 100k this year). I'm not a surgeon or anything but it is still a great profession. I'm cool with personal trainers and a lot of my therapist friends go to them simply for motivation. However, please stop referring to yourselves as PTs. It just confuses people. I have a doctorate, but I don't introduce myself as Dr. ___ because I don't want to be confused with an MD-not good for the overall wellness of the patient. When personal trainers call themselves PTs the client might assume they have advanced knowledge of injuries and the biomechanics of the body. Yah, I got my CSCS in PT school-I know what trainers are qualified to do.
    A lot of trainers are great at what they do, but at most gyms they are a dime a dozen who like to work out and took a two day course. So please, stop perpetuating the myth that personal trainers are PTs.
    I made sure that he knew I was a personal trainer and explained that I made decent money, but not anything close to doctor's wages. I don't think any of us are trying to call ourselves physical therapists on here. I work with an in-house therapist at my gym, and its awesome learning from an influence like that. If people come on here looking for a physical therapist, they have bigger problems, especially when the forum is named "Personal Trainers". We only say PT because typing out personal trainer every other sentence seems a little tiresome. I don;t think anyone means to offend physical therapists.

Yeah Perfit, I did charge her. Sometimes you gotta make people pay the session so that they take it serious. Since then, she hasn't been tardy one time, so it worked. I try to be nice with people, but I gotta make a living too.
    Last edited by Footballa_19; 02-07-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    "There is no one right way, everyone is different"

-B.S. Pre-Med/Biology from CMU and ex-CMU Wide Receiver
    -NASM CPT, PES, CES
    -Current trainer of elite athletes
    -Future Elite BowHunter and certified Lungcutter

Official 1st Phorm Ambassador

https://coachmatt.1stphorm.com/

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DPT31 View Post
    Maybe he confused you for a physical therapist-the only people legally allowed to call themselves PTs. Granted we don't make MD wages but we get anywhere from 60-110k depending on where you live and how good you are(me: just over 100k this year). I'm not a surgeon or anything but it is still a great profession. I'm cool with personal trainers and a lot of my therapist friends go to them simply for motivation. However, please stop referring to yourselves as PTs. It just confuses people. I have a doctorate, but I don't introduce myself as Dr. ___ because I don't want to be confused with an MD-not good for the overall wellness of the patient. When personal trainers call themselves PTs the client might assume they have advanced knowledge of injuries and the biomechanics of the body. Yah, I got my CSCS in PT school-I know what trainers are qualified to do.
    A lot of trainers are great at what they do, but at most gyms they are a dime a dozen who like to work out and took a two day course. So please, stop perpetuating the myth that personal trainers are PTs.
    I'm not going to kiss your ass because you went to school for an extra 3 years than I did. You are apparently a lawyer as well - you seem to have the knowledge of who can use the letters PT and who can't. Don't tell me what to refer to myself as. If people join a gym and hear someone refer to themselves as a PT, they probably understand that they are a personal trainer because they have half a brain. On the other hand, referring to yourself as Dr. is just stroking your ego. PT is an abbreviation that works for either profession and is distinguished easily based on the context (again if you have half a brain). Dr. is designated generally to medical doctors, not clinical "doctorate" degrees that are sprouting up in every profession including pharmacy, physical therapy, and nursing.

I bet you even think that you are better at training people than a personal trainer is. Apparently we are only good at motivation? You are a physical therapist. You treat injuries better than personal trainers. A good personal trainer will help people meet fitness goals better than you will. We specialize in different things. If the personal trainer can't get better results than you, they aren't a good trainer, or you aren't a good therapist. Also, how are you going to assume that a good personal trainer doesn't have advanced knowledge of biomechanics? I forgot that there was something inherently special about physical therapy school. The same knowledge can not be attained by buying the same books that you studied from... I also forgot that the human body responds differently to physical therapists than it does to fitness professionals.

Your post was arrogant. Nobody with half a brain thinks that personal trainers are the same as physical therapists. I work with physical therapists and none of them are as arrogant as you.

LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by RevolutionFF View Post
    Top myths:

- you are a pro boxing coach. No just no, again. I may be just me, but this is my peeve. If you insist on training everyone with pads and mitts, please go and work out of a boxing gym. Sure it is fun and you look the biz, but is it really going to get your clients results in the long run?
    I would never insist on training everyone with pads and mitts for no reason but some people want a great cardio workout and loathe treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, etc. Some people want to learn a different skill. Some people just want to punch something as hard as they can. It is a GREAT way to get that heart going so if their goal is to increase cardiovascular endurance then yes, it is going to get them results in the long run.
    You give something up for everything you gain

drowskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drowskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drowskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drowskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drowskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drowskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drowskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drowskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drowskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drowskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drowskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just recently (Jan. 3rd) got certified through ACE and honestly everything i've read in this thread has been helpful. A lot of people i've come across underestimate what it actually means to be a trainer and how much time you have to put into it outside of the gym to build your business and brand. Keep the tips and myths coming im sure to learn a lot in here

slonedigitty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slonedigitty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slonedigitty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slonedigitty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slonedigitty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slonedigitty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slonedigitty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slonedigitty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slonedigitty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slonedigitty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slonedigitty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'm in the process of getting my certification(Still Studying) but, I love this thread because its showing me what I'm in for if I want to pursue a job as a personal trainer. I also have my BS in Business Management, so from what I've seen on this thread that will def help with the marketing and business aspect of personal training. Thanks for all the info Guys and Gals!

Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No problem guys. I think all the vet personal trainers on here want to help young guys like yourselves get on the right track to becoming great. Thats 2 more trainers that aren't going to make our profession look like a joke. I know I am always happy to help, and I wish I had known these things, woulda saved me learning the hard way.

I would just like to add also that I do sometimes use boxing/MMA training techniques. I live by the law of specificity: the body will adapt to the different stresses that are put on it. Although I have my main training theories and exercises that are incorporated into every workout, I try to mix things up that fit the clients abilities and more importantly, their personalities. No one way is right for everyone, and if they actually enjoy doing a boxing routine once in a great while, sometimes that can be just as if not more important than losing weight/gaining muscle ect. It takes time to gather the info to make that decision on a client though. Creating individual variety is a skill, and a challenge. One that I love and enjoy doing everyday.

-NASM CPT, PES, CES

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here's a top PT myth for you. Heard this yesterday.

Only clients doing personal training should be shown how to do deadlifts. Deadlifts should always be done supervised as there is too high a chance of getting an injury.

Sigh, I cried when I found that at least 4 PTs in the gym I did some stuff in the other day felt like that. Made me want to run out of the gym tbh and just focus on my home PT business
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    -All you need to do is lift weights and get a certification to be a good PT.

-Clients will follow your every instruction, including advise for nutrition.

From a client perspective:

(Female)-If I lift anything heavy and less than 15 reps, I'll get huge.

Originally Posted by HowardCSCS View Post

I cant stand this. Oldest myth in the book, you would think people would get it by now. EVERY day, I do consults and have to explain this. I had to actually put pics of female clients doing heavy weighted exercises up on my office wall to show women the results they can have through a good weight lifting program.

-NASM CPT, PES, CES

HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Footballa_19 View Post
    I cant stand this. Oldest myth in the book, you would think people would get it by now. EVERY day, I do consults and have to explain this. I had to actually put pics of female clients doing heavy weighted exercises up on my office wall to show women the results they can have through a good weight lifting program.
    Yep, love trying to explain there is no such thing as "toning muscle"

LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Footballa_19 View Post
    ...waiting for pics.

=)
    Last edited by LostLlama; 02-09-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added Smiley Face
    You give something up for everything you gain

ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PeteratCastle View Post
    Here's a top PT myth for you. Heard this yesterday.

Only clients doing personal training should be shown how to do deadlifts. Deadlifts should always be done supervised as there is too high a chance of getting an injury.

Sigh, I cried when I found that at least 4 PTs in the gym I did some stuff in the other day felt like that. Made me want to run out of the gym tbh and just focus on my home PT business
    I'm screwed then. I've been doing Deads since October unsupervised. lol

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by HowardCSCS View Post
    -All you need to do is lift weights and get a certification to be a good PT.

-Clients will follow your every instruction, including advise for nutrition.

To be a PT you need to be ripped and have huge biceps. True story.
    Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    I'm screwed then. I've been doing Deads since October unsupervised. lol
    I've been doing them unsupervised since 2010 (and RDLs since 2008). I've got no hope.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LostLlama View Post
    I would never insist on training everyone with pads and mitts for no reason but some people want a great cardio workout and loathe treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, etc. Some people want to learn a different skill. Some people just want to punch something as hard as they can. It is a GREAT way to get that heart going so if their goal is to increase cardiovascular endurance then yes, it is going to get them results in the long run.
    ^This.

kickboxing is one of the most effective cardio activities going, and clients love it.
    my favourite sessions are ones where i can do a lot of proper padwork with clients (i don't mean basic boxercise), a lot of my female clients came to me because they were interested in learning proper boxing/self defence technique whilst getting the personal training workout they want and need.