Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

A bit of direction

Firstly, sorry for asking this as you probably have heard this question far too much. I've looked at other threads and still can't find a adequate answer. So let me begin, I was wondering with a lot of the novice programmes recommended here, quite a few focus on 5*5. I wanted to know why they go against the traditional 3-4 day split e.g chest and tricep on monday, wed back and bicep etc. I've been told you need to work out each muscle group 2 times a week as a noob. Is this true and if so why?

Also, considering I want to bulk and weight 150lbs, which program would you recommend? I've been going gym on and off for 1-2 months and can lift pretty decent so any ideas?

PS- When should I change from this program?

I know it's a lot of questions but would be really helpful, everyone started as a noob so don't be too harsh ;P

Thanks in advance!

TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Naturally, if I were you, I'd stay on that program until I stopped getting results.

Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Purekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TheBeastTyler View Post
    Naturally, if I were you, I'd stay on that program until I stopped getting results.
    But which one of them would you recommenend and why if any of them, instead of the traditional 3-4 day split? (Chest/tricep etc)

JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have been doing a split from day 1. I switch back and forth between a three day and five day split every couple of months. During the three day split I will do half as many sets as I do on the five day split but I will do the routine twice a week instead of once a week. The reason behind this is because your muscles adapt to the exercise you do ( both in weight and in repitition). By switching my routine I am constantly changing the rest periods between my workouts and the load of each workout so my body is less likely to adapt.

The 5x5 routine is a good routine but if you want to go with a workout like that I sould suggest hypertrophy training which is very easy and actually works really well... here is what that is about

1. 2 set squats
    2. 2 sets hamstring curls
    3. 2 sets calves raises
    4. 2 sets barbell bicep curls
    5. 2 sets tricep v-bar pushdowns
    6. 2 sets pull-ups
    7. 2 sets bent over rows
    8. 2 sets deadlifts
    9. 2 sets benchpress
    10. 2 sets dumbell shrugs
    11. 2 sets barbell shoulder press

You will do this everyday day starting with a weight you can do 12 reps with. Add 5 pounds to each exercise each day for two weeks. Then on the third and fourth week choose a weight you can do 10 reps with and increase by 5 pounds per day. The fifth and six week choose a weight you can do 8 reps with and add five pounds per day. The reason this works well is because you are not over stimulating your muscle groups to the point where you can't recover in just one day. You are adding just enough weight everyday to stimulate the muscle more than you did the day previous. Also, these exercises are compound exercises which produce the most muscle growth.
    Your mind is your most powerful muscle. Use it to your advantage.

DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    See the link in my sig for help determining which one to do.

Frequency is incredibly important in training. You should be working out as often as you can. As you get stronger, your ability to recover doesn't increase as much. So if you're benching 315, you might need a week to recover before hitting your chest again. If you're benching 135, you can do that every couple days without really hurting your recovery. Full body workouts hit your body 3x a week which is much better for a beginner than a split.

Any less frequency than that as a beginner and you are probably leaving some progress on the table.

Originally Posted by DetMatthews View Post
    See the link in my sig for help determining which one to do.

Frequency is incredibly important in training. You should be working out as often as you can. As you get stronger, your ability to recover doesn't increase as much. So if you're benching 315, you might need a week to recover before hitting your chest again. If you're benching 135, you can do that every couple days without really hurting your recovery. Full body workouts hit your body 3x a week which is much better for a beginner than a split.

Any less frequency than that as a beginner and you are probably leaving some progress on the table.
    Thanks, yeh saw your thread I'll take another look. Are you basically saying these workouts are better because when you start new, your lifting lower so recovery time is much lower, thus you can hit more muscles when a noob and get more progress?

Originally Posted by JasonTarin View Post
    I have been doing a split from day 1. I switch back and forth between a three day and five day split every couple of months. During the three day split I will do half as many sets as I do on the five day split but I will do the routine twice a week instead of once a week. The reason behind this is because your muscles adapt to the exercise you do ( both in weight and in repitition). By switching my routine I am constantly changing the rest periods between my workouts and the load of each workout so my body is less likely to adapt.

The 5x5 routine is a good routine but if you want to go with a workout like that I sould suggest hypertrophy training which is very easy and actually works really well... here is what that is about

1. 2 set squats
    2. 2 sets hamstring curls
    3. 2 sets calves raises
    4. 2 sets barbell bicep curls
    5. 2 sets tricep v-bar pushdowns
    6. 2 sets pull-ups
    7. 2 sets bent over rows
    8. 2 sets deadlifts
    9. 2 sets benchpress
    10. 2 sets dumbell shrugs
    11. 2 sets barbell shoulder press

You will do this everyday day starting with a weight you can do 12 reps with. Add 5 pounds to each exercise each day for two weeks. Then on the third and fourth week choose a weight you can do 10 reps with and increase by 5 pounds per day. The fifth and six week choose a weight you can do 8 reps with and add five pounds per day. The reason this works well is because you are not over stimulating your muscle groups to the point where you can't recover in just one day. You are adding just enough weight everyday to stimulate the muscle more than you did the day previous. Also, these exercises are compound exercises which produce the most muscle growth.
    Thanks for the suggestion, although that workout looks a bit more complex for a novice like me