Thread: MMA Training

blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

MMA Training

Hey bro's! It's been a while, kind of fell off of training for a while after college hit, but i'm back and it's going better than ever. I'm now getting into martial arts with an MMA focus.

I'm currently on an 1800 cal. diet and waiting for my MyoFusion Elite to come in to get a heavier focus on protein, along with some Vitamins and I still have some RecoverPRO leftover.

I'm thinking endurance needs to be on the high, so other than cardio, what can I do to up my endurance naturally? What would you guys recommend otherwise to get in shape for this?

I appreciate your help in advance!
    Last edited by blongo804; 01-29-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    - Brian

hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by blongo804 View Post
    Hey bro's! It's been a while, kind of fell off of training for a while after college hit, but i'm back and it's going better than ever. I'm now getting into martial arts with an MMA focus.

I'm currently on an 1800 cal. diet and waiting for my MyoFusion Elite to come in to get a heavier focus on protein, along with some Vitamins and I still have some RecoverPRO leftover.

I'm thinking endurance needs to be on the high, so other than cardio, what can I do to up my endurance naturally? What would you guys recommend otherwise to get in shape for this?

Brian
    Email me at jason@hyperdrivefitness.com.au if you like and I will email you the strength and conditioning program I have written for some of my mma and judo people.

Regards
    Jason

blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blongo804 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hdfitnessau View Post
    Email me at jason@hyperdrivefitness.com.au if you like and I will email you the strength and conditioning program I have written for some of my mma and judo people.

Regards
    Jason
    Emailed.
    - Brian

wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000)
    getting a stronger posterior chain and to a lesser degree press

so a basic powerlifting program with some box jobs, sprints

then you wanna work your energy system doing complexes, drills with weights and bodyweight.

Then you wanna train your nervouse system by actually TRAINING, hitting the bag and going to class.

If you increase your one rep max in the 4 basic lifts, get a strong back to do weighted chins, hit your complexes, run faster and jump higher - that is all your conditioning.

From there getting skill is up to you

If you're smart start researching westside barbell if youre not it will take some time to learn so do this...

Monday
    bench 3x3-5
    squat 3x3-5
    Chins 3 sets or rows (chest supported)

wed
    Power clean 5x3
    deadlift 1x5 (never grind)
    grip work

Friday
    speed bench 5-8x3 (60% of your max)
    speed squat 5-8x3 (60% of your heaviest set)
    dips 2 sets of 5-10
    chins 2-3 sets (use a hammer or reverse grip to hit biceps)

that is PLENTY keep making progress in the weights..and ps your heavy sets should be heavy but NEVER grinders, keep your speed up. Once you do 3x5 with decent speed add a lil weight and start over at 3x2-3... someday you will find a time when you start to stall.. if you do, switch around some of your ****, do close grip bench for 2-3 weeks or heavy dips on heavy day...then go back to bench, do different rep ranges on other stuff.

Look up barbell complexes and start em twice a week for now...maybe on tues and saturday... on thurs mix it up... do some normal cardio, roadwork, bike, swim

start sprints once a week

do box jumps up to 2-3x week maybe not on clean day
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 01-29-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Mirin'triceps peak? Thanks westside barbell.

Gettin'older, studying MMA in Brazil gonna fight soon, on my own crew.

Holy crap.. That is more info than I thought i'd ever receive. I appreciate that so much and will more than likely do everything you just said!

So as a quick note on dieting.. at my weight (I also probably have a good amount of body fat %, but wouldn't say i'm "fat", just need to get in shape), what would you think I should worry about macros-wise? 3000 cal, 1-1.5g of protein per lb of body weight at least? Or should I be more in the 2000-2500 cal range?
    - Brian

wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Holy crap.. That is more info than I thought i'd ever receive. I appreciate that so much and will more than likely do everything you just said!

So as a quick note on dieting.. at my weight (I also probably have a good amount of body fat %, but wouldn't say i'm "fat", just need to get in shape), what would you think I should worry about macros-wise? 3000 cal, 1-1.5g of protein per lb of body weight at least? Or should I be more in the 2000-2500 cal range?
    I think you shouldn't overthink it... eat enough protein to compensate for going lower in the calories 1g/lb is enough, get ENOUGH fat (at least rda) to make hormones and eat enough carbs to support energy start at 500-750 deficite a day (compensate some of your exercise) so if you burn 900 calories a day... get at least some of that added into your base to start with... say if youre at 1800 as a base. If you don't you will probably start to get tired eventually or overtrained. If you ever have to cut for a fight or comp, do your research and get someone with experience to help you.

if you want to inbox me please do so

ALSO PLEASE go on youtube and look up "so you think you can bench"learn good form it is essential to reduce injury

learn some pre-habilitation stuff, stretching and recovery techniques.

Ocassionally take breaks from heavy weights if you're feeling burnt out

LEARN the lifts properly including speed lifts.

ALSO remember you're not a bodybuilder... if you're tired as **** all the time cus your bodyfat gets too low its not good. Not that i think that will become an issue... just be healthy

Reps for you good sir. This is fantastic info to get me started!! Taking alllllll this in. I appreciate the offer for extended help via PM as well. I may take you up on that after I read all this over for a few times and take some notes.
    - Brian

hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50) hdfitnessau will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Emailed you Brian

Registered User vikasfitnesshub's Avatar
    vikasfitnesshub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vikasfitnesshub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vikasfitnesshub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vikasfitnesshub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vikasfitnesshub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vikasfitnesshub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vikasfitnesshub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vikasfitnesshub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vikasfitnesshub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vikasfitnesshub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vikasfitnesshub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you are focusing on endurance than i think cross fit training will really give you strength, flexibility and endurance which you need in mma. Crossfit training work on core and need good endurance. Apart from fighting skills you need strong core which gives you good control over your body movement and stability and endurance for sustaining yourself for long time in ring. all the best

wds2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One way to supplement your technique work and get a good workout in is Bas Rutten's heavy bag CDs. The first session is ten 2 minute rounds with 1 minute rest in between. The second session is seven 3 minute rounds. Bas calls out combos and defense and it's a killer workout. Although it definitely helps to have one, you don't need a heavy bag for it; you can shadowbox and it will still kick you in the butt.

Originally Posted by vikasfitnesshub View Post
    if you are focusing on endurance than i think cross fit training will really give you strength, flexibility and endurance which you need in mma. Crossfit training work on core and need good endurance. Apart from fighting skills you need strong core which gives you good control over your body movement and stability and endurance for sustaining yourself for long time in ring. all the best
    I will certainly look into CrossFit. If i'm not mistaken, where i'll be taking MMA classes also does CrossFit. Thank you!

Originally Posted by wds2 View Post
    One way to supplement your technique work and get a good workout in is Bas Rutten's heavy bag CDs. The first session is ten 2 minute rounds with 1 minute rest in between. The second session is seven 3 minute rounds. Bas calls out combos and defense and it's a killer workout. Although it definitely helps to have one, you don't need a heavy bag for it; you can shadowbox and it will still kick you in the butt.
    I also appreciate this help. I will look into this! ^
    - Brian

humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

To increase your endurance in MMA train MMA. Its completely different than anything you can do in a gym. The closest thing I've used that emulates how I feel after sparring is the prowler sled. There's nothing you can do in the gym that will work better than actually doing it. With MMA you have to realize you're doing aerobic cardio when striking and anaerobic cardio when you grapple. You can train each one individually by running and swimming, which is all well and good but that's not the difficult part of mma cardio. The difficult part is when you're getting hit and breathing is interupted constantly, or when you're grappling and somebody has you in side control and you can breathe because of all the weight on you that's preventing your lungs from expanding.

Lift heavy for strength which will help your grip and a bit of endurance, but don't expect it to help you keep your hands up. You condition your shoulders to keep your hands up by keeping your hands up. I've seen guys that are beasts in the gym come to do some striking with me and they can't keep their hands up for 30 seconds. MMA has 5 min rounds, bag work and shadowboxing will help you condition your shoulders to keep your hands up. Endurance will come with time put in on the mat and in the ring, not so much in the gym. HIIT is pretty good for it too, but you shouldn't be worrying about that aspect of MMA yet. Learn to defend, to move, to attack. Learn about footwork and angles. Learn how to break somebody's posture when they're in your guard. These are the things that the more you do them the better your cardio will be.

Reigebjj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reigebjj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wrestling, rolling, and sparring will all help increase your endurance as well. Getting your body accustomed to when you need to apply force and where.

Originally Posted by humanpuck View Post
    To increase your endurance in MMA train MMA. Its completely different than anything you can do in a gym. The closest thing I've used that emulates how I feel after sparring is the prowler sled. There's nothing you can do in the gym that will work better than actually doing it. With MMA you have to realize you're doing aerobic cardio when striking and anaerobic cardio when you grapple. You can train each one individually by running and swimming, which is all well and good but that's not the difficult part of mma cardio. The difficult part is when you're getting hit and breathing is interupted constantly, or when you're grappling and somebody has you in side control and you can breathe because of all the weight on you that's preventing your lungs from expanding.

Lift heavy for strength which will help your grip and a bit of endurance, but don't expect it to help you keep your hands up. You condition your shoulders to keep your hands up by keeping your hands up. I've seen guys that are beasts in the gym come to do some striking with me and they can't keep their hands up for 30 seconds. MMA has 5 min rounds, bag work and shadowboxing will help you condition your shoulders to keep your hands up. Endurance will come with time put in on the mat and in the ring, not so much in the gym. HIIT is pretty good for it too, but you shouldn't be worrying about that aspect of MMA yet. Learn to defend, to move, to attack. Learn about footwork and angles. Learn how to break somebody's posture when they're in your guard. These are the things that the more you do them the better your cardio will be.
    Fantastic advice! Makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you so much!
    - Brian

Lift heavy, address weaknesses first not last

Do sprints 3 xweek and maybe a complex or strongman circuit 1-2x week

go to class

thats all

domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100)
    nice

Thread = 10/10.

Thank you again everyone!
    - Brian

ChaelSonnenFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Glad I found this thread, any advice on adding muscle? I'm 148-150 and not sure I want to compete at 135, so I'd like to add some more muscle and make 145 or even 155. Anybody have good strength building workouts?

Originally Posted by ChaelSonnenFan View Post
    Glad I found this thread, any advice on adding muscle? I'm 148-150 and not sure I want to compete at 135, so I'd like to add some more muscle and make 145 or even 155. Anybody have good strength building workouts?
    learn the big 3 and do supplemental exercises in the 8-12 rep range for hypertrophy

maybe for you

MOnday squat... hit a heavy set and do 3 back off sets on high bar squats for 3x8-15
    Do some pull ups 5x10-20
    abs

wed
    bench, heavy set
    Do a heavy set or two of shoulder presses in the 5-10 range
    hit some dips 5x10-20
    abs
    neck

friday deadlift variation
    stiff legged deads 3x8-12
    heavy rowing
    abs

and eat...a lot

ESP365 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Blongo804,

My business partner has trained some of the top MMA fighters in the world; Ed Herman(UFC), Chris Leben(UFC), Dave Jansen(Bellator), Ryan Shultz(IFL), Brian Olson(4x Judo Olympian), etc you can check out his program at esp365.com......they are the same exercises that he takes these guys through.....

Bababouie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bababouie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bababouie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bababouie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bababouie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bababouie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bababouie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bababouie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bababouie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bababouie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bababouie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by wanaBsedated View Post
    ALSO remember you're not a bodybuilder... if you're tired as **** all the time cus your bodyfat gets too low its not good. Not that i think that will become an issue... just be healthy
    I did this, biggest mistake dont do it

Registered User risingphoenix73's Avatar
    risingphoenix73 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) risingphoenix73 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) risingphoenix73 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) risingphoenix73 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) risingphoenix73 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) risingphoenix73 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) risingphoenix73 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) risingphoenix73 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) risingphoenix73 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) risingphoenix73 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) risingphoenix73 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    deadlifts (double overhand, no straps for grip strength), clean and jerks, barbell snatches, weighted abdominal work, and do neck harness work 2x a week. sprint and burpees 3x a week. that's what worked best for me. Oly lifts are great for building endurance tbh. But then, as with anything else, it depends on YOUR fighting style and YOUR individual needs/strengths/weakness, so it's not as simple as a one size fits all solution. I've recently moved back to a bodybuilding split and only train in judo with no real focus on competition.

EDIT: as was said, focus mostly on your training in your classes and less on s+c. that's strictly supplemental. I trained with my one friend for a year, and he fought welterweight and didn't cut. natural walking weight of 164, the other kid cut to 170 and was huge in comparison. we rolled 3x a week for 2 hours until someone was subbed then paused 10 minutes then picked back up and sparred 1 hour the other 3 days, doing 3x5:00 rounds, taking 5 minute rests btwn sets. He didn't lift at all. He lost over 80 lbs. since he had started. his opponent was huge, and look where it got him...moral of this story, DONT TRAIN liKE A BODYBUILDER (dillon was the one i trained with):

http://www.czmma.com/videoViewer.asp...ked chole hold

EDIT EDIT: easy on the hate, was his first fight. also on a side note i was censored out of the video because i was screaming and swearing the whole time from the corner. sorry to jack your thread. carry on =D
    Last edited by risingphoenix73; 02-04-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Man you guys are still coming through with the help. I'm taking all this in and am now checking out esp365.com as well.

Thanks again everyone!
    - Brian