gbyolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Need to fix my pec imbalance

That's very frustrating to me, my right pec is bigger than my left. There is a difference in mass, and I can't get it to catch up.
    That's not posture related, I can assure you, and what's worst is that I can't figure out what the cause is.

During the workout I feel my right pec more sore than the left, even at the first set of the warm up. Since november (when I noticed the first defects in my left pec) I started using DBs instead of BBs trying to compensate the imbalance, but it was quite useless because as I've just stated my right pec comes "in action" earlier than the left and this causes it to work more and get bigger.

I thought that keep lifting could be the workaround, but I still can't even them out and this is getting very, very frustrating. Even now I'm typing at the keyboard I can feel the very upper side of my right pec contracting and causing me to think more and more about it.
    I cannot stand this anymore, I need to fix it.

Since the DBs didn't solve my problem, I'm thinking that the problem can be arm-related. I mean, my right deltoid and tricep are lagging behind the left ones, causing the right pec to come in action earlier than the left, so I thought that I first need to fix this arm-related imbalance and then start over with chest DBs workouts.

I can train my chest with flyes, which does not involve shoulders and triceps as well as presses, while working for compensating the arm imbalance, but I'm not sure.I don't know how to do it, so here I am asking for help. The arm imbalance is what I guess the problem is, maybe I'm completely wrong.

wkjeep will become famous soon enough. (+50) wkjeep will become famous soon enough. (+50) wkjeep will become famous soon enough. (+50) wkjeep will become famous soon enough. (+50) wkjeep will become famous soon enough. (+50) wkjeep will become famous soon enough. (+50) wkjeep will become famous soon enough. (+50) wkjeep will become famous soon enough. (+50) wkjeep will become famous soon enough. (+50) wkjeep will become famous soon enough. (+50) wkjeep will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gbyolo View Post
    That's very frustrating to me, my right pec is bigger than my left. There is a difference in mass, and I can't get it to catch up.
    That's not posture related, I can assure you, and what's worst is that I can't figure out what the cause is.

During the workout I feel my right pec more sore than the left, even at the first set of the warm up. Since november (when I noticed the first defects in my left pec) I started using DBs instead of BBs trying to compensate the imbalance, but it was quite useless because as I've just stated my right pec comes "in action" earlier than the left and this causes it to work more and get bigger.

I thought that keep lifting could be the workaround, but I still can't even them out and this is getting very, very frustrating. Even now I'm typing at the keyboard I can feel the very upper side of my right pec contracting and causing me to think more and more about it.

Since the DBs didn't solve my problem, I'm thinking that the problem can be arm-related. I mean, my right deltoid and tricep are lagging behind the left ones, causing the right pec to come in action earlier than the left, so I thought that I first need to fix this arm-related imbalance and then start over with chest DBs workouts.

I can train my chest with flyes, which does not involve shoulders and triceps as well as presses, while working for compensating the arm imbalance, but I'm not sure.I don't know how to do it, so here I am asking for help. The arm imbalance is what I guess the problem is, maybe I'm completely wrong.
    This is common. You feel it, but it is not visually noticeable. That pec is dominant, and always will be. Your best bet will be to really focus on the mind muscle contraction of the pecs. Dont worry, or over-think it.

Originally Posted by wkjeep View Post
    This is common. You feel it, but it is not visually noticeable. That pec is dominant, and always will be. Your best bet will be to really focus on the mind muscle contraction of the pecs. Dont worry, or over-think it.
    Thank you for your reply. I'll gonna try it

Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    As said, many people have this issue including myself. Are you left handed by any chance?

I'm right handed and have a bad habit of slouching. Thus, my right shoulder and pec are generally tighter than my left. This causes me to loos form on chest excersizes with my right side first and I can only assume is a cause to the imbalance. My advice is to focus on form and possibly stretch out your left pec. If you know a massage therapist, see if they can check out your upper body. Tight muscles will pull on other muscles and cause all sorts of funny things.

Remember it may not be your chest that's the issue. For example, my low back used to hurt quite a bit due to tight hamstrings.

Most important though, as said, keep lifting. It's probably not as bad as you think. I know for me, it's glaringly obvious when looking in the mirror. But others don't even see it.

Originally Posted by Rags85 View Post
    As said, many people have this issue including myself. Are you left handed by any chance?

I'm right handed and have a bad habit of slouching. Thus, my right shoulder and pec are generally tighter than my left. This causes me to loos form on chest excersizes with my right side first and I can only assume is a cause to the imbalance. My advice is to focus on form and possibly stretch out your left pec. If you know a massage therapist, see if they can check out your upper body. Tight muscles will pull on other muscles and cause all sorts of funny things.

Remember it may not be your chest that's the issue. For example, my low back used to hurt quite a bit due to tight hamstrings.

Most important though, as said, keep lifting. It's probably not as bad as you think. I know for me, it's glaringly obvious when looking in the mirror. But others don't even see it.
    Thank you for replying Rags85.

I'm right handed. However, when I look at the mirror I don't see any asymmetry while performing the reps, just the right pec coming into action earlier than the left, and this is also why it seems very strange to me.
    I agree with you when you say that others don't even see it: my girlfriend and my sister say that my chest has nothing strange, while (to me) this very little defect seems horrible.

I'll keep on lifting focusing more on mind-muscle contraction, continue with DBs, and try not to think about it. I think that this is the hardest part :S

SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by gbyolo View Post

Muscle imbalance for novice and some intermediates are pretty common, just keep lifting with the good form if you are using barbell make sure it isnt loading on one side just take it slow up and down till u get ur form perfect, same for dumbbells make sure both start together and end together if u cant then lower the weight
    MUST READ about back development : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151735043

MUST READ about shoulders development : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151861353