DougieJBell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Leg building help to overcome years of injuries

Hi All

Looking for a little advice, after years of neglect and injuries (Hip dislocation, 1 broken ankle, 1 knee pop, torn ligaments in both ankles and left knee, severe sprains in both ankles.) my legs are weak and small.

I would like to to rectify this and start building some strength into my legs. Biggest problem I have at the momemt because of the ankle injuries I just cannot squat ATG even bodyweight only, it seems my ankles are the limiting factor here as if I hold onto a post then I can squat ATG with leaning back slightly, obviously trying this with weight and without support I would be on my backside.

What are the best leg exercises to begin with and what variations will help through time to increase the flexibility and strength in my ankles and to start building strength in my legs.

Cheers

Dj

Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Start with single leg stuff. You'd be surprised what you can get out of walking lunges, lunges, Bulgarian squats and so on. I've had hip replacement and knee surgery but have had good results from theses exercises done diligently. Too many of us with injuries throw in the towel on leg exercise too soon. probably the most important body part as we age IMO.

jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Josann View Post
    Start with single leg stuff. You'd be surprised what you can get out of walking lunges, lunges, Bulgarian squats and so on. I've had hip replacement and knee surgery but have had good results from theses exercises done diligently. Too many of us with injuries throw in the towel on leg exercise too soon. probably the most important body part as we age IMO.
    This, as well as lots of lower body mobility work.