View Poll Results: Is my form any good ?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 40.00%
  • No

3 60.00%
    TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000)

Deadlifts: Rate my form please (Calling upon all deadlifters)

Hi guys,

I've been deadlifting for a little over a month now and have been trying to focus on form>weight.

My last session I upped the weight to 200 pounds for 5 reps (doing the 5 set ramping up method).

I had a friend film it so that I could monitor my form.

I call upon you all to rate my form and tell me how it improve it if anything is wrong.

So far I am unsure whether I need my hips higher or lower, whether I am properly pushing through my heels rather than using my back to raise the weight.

I have had no trouble with any lower back pain since I started which I think is a good indicator but I need the opinion of you experienced wizards to truly give me some insight into where I'm doing it right.

Will rep all helpful contributors.

Last edited by TheDarkseid; 01-29-2013 at 01:28 AM.
    -Team Manlet-
    -5'5 master race-

Father to a future manlet
    Cuckold to a cheating sloot

*Sniff hard as fuk when next to a girl on public transport to smell her hair crew*

It isn't until a mosquito lands on our testicles that we learn to solve a problem without the use of violence.

TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bump
    -Team Manlet-
    -5'5 master race-

*Sniff hard as fuk when next to a girl on public transport to smell her hair crew*

It isn't until a mosquito lands on our testicles that we learn to solve a problem without the use of violence.

alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bodybuilding.com just released a new article on how to deadlift:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/you-...-exercise.html

The points made in this article are mostly correct, but I don't agree with scapular retraction and depression. Try and assess all the different points yourself.

By the way, you have 0 rep power. No one cares if you rep or neg them lol

Originally Posted by alexanderberg View Post
    Bodybuilding.com just released a new article on how to deadlift:

The points made in this article are mostly correct, but I don't agree with scapular retraction and depression. Try and assess all the different points yourself.

By the way, you have 0 rep power. No one cares if you rep or neg them lol
    Thanks for the link, and haha sorry idk how the rep system works entirely but I'm learning :P.
    -Team Manlet-
    -5'5 master race-

alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TheDarkseid View Post
    Thanks for the link, and haha sorry idk how the rep system works entirely but I'm learning :P.
    It's all good.

Need some critiques please
    -Team Manlet-
    -5'5 master race-

AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Need some critiques please
    The bar should never leave the vertical plane of motion. Imagine that the only way the bar can move is up and down. OK, so there might be a liiiiiiittle deviation from that at the knee point.

Start - Feet should be shoulder width apart, and hands on the bar the same. Positioning should be that like a squat, almost sitting down (like a squat - durr). Then through your heals lift and stand up, head facing forwards and up focusing, ass in, shoulders back then bend knees. On the way up ass should be out, lower back tucked in and shoulders back, and squeeze the scapulars together at the top. (as if you're a queer and you're sticking you're ass out. The only thing stopping you from being gay is not looking over you're left shoulder and flicking your heal up lol)

Middle - Ok, so now your shoulders should be nice and tight pinged back... (enough that you can see how vascular your neck is - if you're lifting heavy [we all know the feeling lads!]) and the bar is resting against your penis (if it's small like mine).

Finish - on the way down it should be reverse Starting... so lower your legs keeping back straight, little bump over the knees, back into the squatting position.

Everyone else feel free to flame/neg/rip/take the piss. In my head it's perfect form but when I describe it.. it comes out all jumbled.

Hope that helps Darks... keep lifting!!

AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AC1987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by AC1987 View Post
    The bar should never leave the vertical plane of motion. Imagine that the only way the bar can move is up and down. OK, so there might be a liiiiiiittle deviation from that at the knee point.

Start - Feet should be shoulder width apart, and hands on the bar the same. Positioning should be that like a squat, almost sitting down (like a squat - durr). Then through your heals lift and stand up, head facing forwards and up focusing, ass in, shoulders back then bend knees. On the way up ass should be out, lower back tucked in and shoulders back, and squeeze the scapulars together at the top. (as if you're a queer and you're sticking you're ass out. The only thing stopping you from being gay is not looking over you're left shoulder and flicking your heal up lol)

Middle - Ok, so now your shoulders should be nice and tight pinged back... (enough that you can see how vascular your neck is - if you're lifting heavy [we all know the feeling lads!]) and the bar is resting against your penis (if it's small like mine).

Finish - on the way down it should be reverse Starting... so lower your legs keeping back straight, little bump over the knees, back into the squatting position.

Everyone else feel free to flame/neg/rip/take the piss. In my head it's perfect form but when I describe it.. it comes out all jumbled.

Hope that helps Darks... keep lifting!!
    Kind of... That seems like i'm putting more emphasis on the legs.... there's lower back motion as well. When I get enough reps and posts I'll post a video of my dead lift.

Registered User LlamaWithARifle's Avatar
    LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000)
    Overall form is pretty good.

Take your stance a step closer.

Keep a more neutral head.

Lean back a bit more, your knees are too far forward over the bar, a little is okay. But too much makes it impossible to raise the bar up the shins without straightening your knees which raises the hips. You need fairly low hips so you can effectively lock out weight by forcing your hips forwards.
    Squat: 202.5kg | 446lbs
    Bench: 125kg | 275lbs
    Deadlift: 235kg | 518lbs

Thanks for the feedback, I think my issues are that I got to start off in a lower position and keep my knees further back like you guys said.. I will record myself next back workout and see the difference.

Will rep both when It allows me to.
    -Team Manlet-
    -5'5 master race-

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Low hips are not required for a deadlift at all.

OP, your lockout is three separate movements right now. You want your entire body to lockout at the same time (knees, hips, shoulders). When locked out, you look like most new people and lock out with your torso cocked slightly forward. Your body should be one rigid line (and will have a slight lean back, to counter the weight in front of you). No, I'm not saying you need to rock your torso backwards to hyper extend your back to lock out like a lot of people do. That is pointless.

Contrary to the squat down low while deadlifting crowd, I feel more people would do better by using a higher hip start position. You pretty much are from the get go. The first part of your deadlift is your hips raising. Just start with your hips at that point anyways and then do the lift. As the bar clears your knees, forcefully contract your glutes and shove your hips forward (try to f*ck the bar) as your shoulders pull back.

On the eccentric, just reverse the motion. Nowhere in your concentric did the bar ride up your thighs, so why does the bar ride down your thighs on the eccentric?
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Thanks for critique, believe me I have been incorporating the glute contractions into my deadlift (never did I know such a powerful force dwelled inside) and lean back a bit more so my knees don't block the bar rising.

Any more opinions ?
    -Team Manlet-
    -5'5 master race-

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Thanks for critique, believe me I have been incorporating the glute contractions into my deadlift (never did I know such a powerful force dwelled inside) and lean back a bit more so my knees don't block the bar rising.

Any more opinions ?
    You're rolling the bar towards you at the start of each rep, and that's causing your body mechanics to change on just about every pull.

The bar needs to remain stationary, and then you position your feet to accomodate the bar.

Do it like this, every time:

Once your setup is correct, your own body mechanics will take over and determine where your hips will be, etc.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks fine to me. I personally recommend a person adds volume first and then adds weight, so as long as you're doing that you should be fine - I find that practice helps me progress steadily and gives me better form.

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    You're rolling the bar towards you at the start of each rep, and that's causing your body mechanics to change on just about every pull.

The bar needs to remain stationary, and then you position your feet to accomodate the bar.

Do it like this, every time:

Once your setup is correct, your own body mechanics will take over and determine where your hips will be, etc.
    Appreciate the response and the video, I've been a lurker for around a year now prior to this account and I have always seen you posting helpful and informed advice so I am thrilled to have your insight on my thread .

Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post
    Looks fine to me. I personally recommend a person adds volume first and then adds weight, so as long as you're doing that you should be fine - I find that practice helps me progress steadily and gives me better form.
    Yeah I'll definitely nail my form before I think of increasing for now.. thanks for the response. Will rep when it lets me.
    -Team Manlet-
    -5'5 master race-

Also (for another rep ) when you lift up from the starting position, keep your head looking up. So kind of at a 45 degree angle upwards. You're facing the way you want the bar to go... up

Hope that helps. Once I have my 50 posts i will post my stiffleg dead lift on here and also my normal dead lift. Then we can compare if you'd like?

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Also (for another rep ) when you lift up from the starting position, keep your head looking up. So kind of at a 45 degree angle upwards. You're facing the way you want the bar to go... up
    No, Hyperextending the neck does nothing to help the lift and actually opens the door for a possible injury to the neck.

You can look up with your eyes if you want, but not with your head. You want your neck in a neutral position.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Hope that helps. Once I have my 50 posts i will post my stiffleg dead lift on here and also my normal dead lift. Then we can compare if you'd like?
    Hey, thanks for coming back. It won't let me rep you again for a while haha.. I've heard to keep a neutral head in most deadlifting videos/articles so that it doesn't round your back. Please do post your video but, you don't necessarily need 50 posts because you can embed without it. See the 'Form check thread do's and don'ts' its a sticky and will explain how to add the video.

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    No, Hyperextending the neck does nothing to help the lift and actually opens the door for a possible injury to the neck.

You can look up with your eyes if you want, but not with your head. You want your neck in a neutral position.
    Welcome back again, I'll post another video of my deadlifts this Saturday so I can track my progress in form.
    -Team Manlet-
    -5'5 master race-