Registered User HeavyMetalRhino's Avatar
    HeavyMetalRhino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need to improve my running form. Any suggestions?

I've never been a strong runner, but lately I've been hitting the cardio pretty hard. I don't feel my form is very good and would love some pointers on how to improve or run in proper form. Any and all suggestions would be extremely helpful.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    If you are serious about running go to a running store and get shoes made for how you run. They will video tape you running on a treadmill and will sell you shoes that keep your ankles from pronating (sp). Be ready to spend 100 bucks.
    Experience, not just theory

Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    If you are serious about running go to a running store and get shoes made for how you run. They will video tape you running on a treadmill and will sell you shoes that keep your ankles from pronating (sp). Be ready to spend 100 bucks.
    I had already planned on checking that option out. I was just curious as to what other people had to say or if it was just something that could be adjusted by manipulating my form as opposed to spending another 100 bucks on a new pair of shoes.

Thanks for the input though my friend! Much appreciated!

MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Very few people actually need a special pair of shoes designed for them. It's real nice and everything but usually unnecessary. The only reason to look into that would be if you were getting injuries due to your shoes not fitting the form of your foot correctly.
    As far as your form, it's hard to say without seeing you run. Make sure, assuming your jogging for distance not sprinting, that you're rolling your foot from the ball of your heel to your toe when you step. You also want to keep you body upright and your arms in a relaxed 90 degree angle. Don't over stride or allow your head to bobble when you run.

Is there anything specific that concerns you?
    Mike Esparza
    Esparza Fitness
    Personal Training & Fitness Classes
    www.esparzafitness.com
    www.********.com/esparzafitness

BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000)
    Humans are designed to run on the balls of our feet yet modern shoes tend to encourage to heel strike. Look into POSE or Chi method. There are plenty of videos on YouTube. Your knees will thank you.

I switched to a forefoot strike several years ago and ran a half marathon that way (and I have really crappy mechanics due to a childhood ankle sprain that left me with very poor dorsiflexion).

I used to wear supportive shoes designed to correct overpronation but always had knee pain. After switching, I also went to a more minimal shoe (I use Nike Free 3.0 although I sometimes run in my Vibrams if it's warm and dry - which it isn't very often in England) since they are lighter and more comfortable. The more supportive the shoe, the more likely you are to heel strike and the more likely you are to get injured. A lighter, more minimal shoe will interfere less with your natural running style.

One word of warning - if you start running with a forefoot strike your calves will take a beating. Ease into it slowly and do a lot of calf stretching (I also release mine with a hockey ball as they get very tight even when I don't run) and ankle mobility work.

Good luck.
    Current log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149169243

Now cutting!

I will definitely look in to all of those options. I was really trying to not buy a brand new running specific shoe. I recently purchased a new pair of the Nike Free 3.0 and love them. Extremely light and seem to have good ankle support. I have bad ankles and I'm pretty pigeon toed. I have been focusing on rolling the foot from heal to toe. As I get tired, like anything else, the form starts to break down. I suppose it's just a focus thing at this point.

As far as things that concern me, I'm primarily just trying to train the proper way. I've been out of a gym or sport for almost 5 years now and I'm not the machine I used to be. I just want to work on my mechanics and make sure everything I'm doing is going to help me along, not injure me. Just a mild concern.

Thank you all for the input! I appreciate you guys! As a newbie to the site, so far so good!
    -Rhino

johndouglas78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by HeavyMetalRhino View Post
    I've never been a strong runner, but lately I've been hitting the cardio pretty hard. I don't feel my form is very good and would love some pointers on how to improve or run in proper form. Any and all suggestions would be extremely helpful.
    1) Set new challenges for yourself. Run faster, longer, and in different settings.

2) Maintain a healthy diet. Eat food with carbohydrates and protein for energy and to build your muscles. Also, calcium will help strengthen your bones, which can receive a lot of stress from running.