prweaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trap/Hex bar dead lifts..

Just getting started with dead lifts... I like the hex bar much better than traditional dead lift bar... Is there a big downside to doing them this way?

More importantly... Can I use a controlled motion going back down, or should it be a quick (almost dropping) motion? I've seen both in videos trying to find an answer. I'd like an opinion from a couple people that have been lifting for a long time.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There is a shift of emphasis from the posterior chain to the anterior chain, mainly increased quadricep involvement. This makes the movement into a quasi-squat, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

amgben is on a distinguished road. (+10) amgben is on a distinguished road. (+10) amgben is on a distinguished road. (+10) amgben is on a distinguished road. (+10) amgben is on a distinguished road. (+10) amgben is on a distinguished road. (+10) amgben is on a distinguished road. (+10) amgben is on a distinguished road. (+10) amgben is on a distinguished road. (+10) amgben is on a distinguished road. (+10) amgben is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    To answer your second question, you can use both. I would suggest a controlled descent on your lighter working sets and dropping at the top when attempting max lifts.

Registered User akmusclehamster's Avatar
    akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by prweaver View Post
    Is there a big downside to doing them this way?
    Nope, just shifting the focus off of your spinal erector muscles and onto your legs
    Compound Weights, Bodyweight Exercises and Sprinting

Responses

Thanks for the responses everyone. Hex bar deadlifts are probably my new favorite exercise...very glad to hear that it is comparable in benefit to the traditional lift.

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Hex bar deadlifts are probably my new favorite exercise...very glad to hear that it is comparable in benefit to the traditional lift.
    not sure how you got that conclusion considering that they are essential different exercises. If you are doing the motion for legs, specially the quads, then you are in the money, it will also recruit a large amount of muscles in the posterior chain but not even remotely to the extent of the conventional deadlift, so if the goal is back hyperthrophy it would be very silly to do this movement.
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They are more of a squat exercise than a deadlift, in my opinion.
    I remove my shirt to poop crew
    Hookey Pookey crew

Captain Funpants' Poop Log of Excellence:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146431903

Yarby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yarby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yarby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yarby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yarby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yarby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yarby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yarby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yarby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yarby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yarby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by adamdavidson47 View Post
    They are more of a squat exercise than a deadlift, in my opinion.
    That's the same opinion as a lot of the big guys too. I can't remember who it was, but it was a powerlifter (Louie Simmons, Rippetoe, Matt Wenning, or one of those guys) said that the hex bar squat is the closest thing you can do to a "free weight leg-press".

adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Yarby View Post
    That's the same opinion as a lot of the big guys too. I can't remember who it was, but it was a powerlifter (Louie Simmons, Rippetoe, Matt Wenning, or one of those guys) said that the hex bar squat is the closest thing you can do to a "free weight leg-press".
    It's a great exercise to work the quads/legs. It's not anything like a traditional deadlift, though. Maybe it's the same because it starts from the floor, but that's about it.
    I remove my shirt to poop crew
    Hookey Pookey crew

Captain Funpants' Poop Log of Excellence:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146431903

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    ...very glad to hear that it is comparable in benefit to the traditional lift.
    They're two entirely different lifts, not comparable at all.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The hex bar is actually highly recommended for people just starting to do DLs, because it teaches you proper form and core engagement. Once you master it you'll need to move on to straight bar DLs, because like everyone said already, it's a different exercise.

However, since it hits completely different leg muscles and hits my core at a different angle, I alternate. I don't currently have any leg press equipment and my hex bar does a damn good job on the legs...
    7 foot tall crew checking in

JmanTheJuiceman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JmanTheJuiceman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JmanTheJuiceman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JmanTheJuiceman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JmanTheJuiceman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JmanTheJuiceman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JmanTheJuiceman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JmanTheJuiceman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JmanTheJuiceman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JmanTheJuiceman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JmanTheJuiceman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Please, for the love of god OP,

Don't be that douche in the weight room that can't properly lower the weight after you've pulled it up. The negative portion of the lift is also important, and should be treated as such.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Xuaxace View Post
    not sure how you got that conclusion considering that they are essential different exercises. If you are doing the motion for legs, specially the quads, then you are in the money, it will also recruit a large amount of muscles in the posterior chain but not even remotely to the extent of the conventional deadlift, so if the goal is back hyperthrophy it would be very silly to do this movement.
    Thanks for clearing this up, like I said I'm just starting out.

Originally Posted by JmanTheJuiceman View Post
    Please, for the love of god OP,

Don't be that douche in the weight room that can't properly lower the weight after you've pulled it up. The negative portion of the lift is also important, and should be treated as such.
    lol, this is why I asked. I didn't want to be "that guy" but didn't know why so many people did it. Injury avoidance, etc. Thanks man.

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    I started a thread today, on the same topic. Didn't see this one first. I know some have said that it is more like a squat exercise than a deadlift, and I agree to an extent. However, I have noticed that there is almost a linear progression between my trap bar deads and Sumo deads, but not so much on squats. Hmm. Anyways, I have to say that Sumo and trap bar deads are my current favorite exercise. Followed closely by weighted dips.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They are a favorite of mine also, but I do them with my leg workout, not back .
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel