LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LanaDelRey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Smile Total newb here. Intro & question on stretching.

Hello all, though I am very new to this sport I have been working out, but it's been completely wrong. I was isolating, overtraining body parts, and not getting enough macros to even benefit from that.

Now, I eat a good amount of food and am on a push- pull split that seems to be working out quite well for me. I do the excersizes in a different order so as to not overtrain. (I've been thinking about alternating this split with the starting strength routine, maybe that'd be better!?)

Another big help was getting my aerobic capacity up. I think all hardgainers would benefit from this. I highly suggest reading Sock-Doc's article(s) about it.

Now, Sock-Doc is a long distance runner. He believes its not in anyone's best interest to stretch, even after training. I was skeptical, but after reading his article on that, it made more sense. If you want to see what I'm talking about, go here: [ope looks like I can't add links! It's the one titled "stop stretching!]

Is there some truth to this? Should I stop stretching after working out, or do some gentle stretches after? I don't want to weaken the muscles either way! I don't want to do all this hard work for nothing!

Thanks so much and sorry for the long post!

Registered User messnwitsquatch's Avatar
    messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    some people think stretching is unnecessary because you only need the range of motion you workout in. That's all fine and dandy until you get pushed out of that range of motion by something or other.
    Stretching is a good idea to prevent muscle stiffness and ROM loss. You won't lose strength by stretching properly(within reason, you'd have to be gaining some pretty crazy ROM to have any real effect on strength).
    Also, especially because you're a newb I'd probably try to stick to more tried and true programs/advice until you have a solid base to work off of and have somethign to base your own opinions on.
    As far as the programming, I have no idea what sort of push/pull split you're doing or where you got it so I can't really say much about that. I can say that Starting strength is a great place to start for someone like yourself. make sure to SQUAT!!!
    Please check out my Youtube channel. Has a lot of my PRs as well as many Chinese national lifters training.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/yomon07
    My video thread:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151907313

repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Standard advice on stretching has been evolving over the past few years.

Where once it was recommended to do static stretches stretches during your warmup, and developmental and maintenance stretches at the end, the warmup stretches are now more controversial.

The purpose of the warmup stretches is really just join mobilization, and to warm your muscles, but many now argue they're not necessary. Instead of static stretches, for big multi-joint moves, I go through the full range of motion with low weights, or with the bar only for a set to make sure it all feels good, before adding weight.

If you're into running, then I'd recommend dynamic stretching during your warmup, before HIIT or speed work. It's important to get your muscles warm, check for injury, and get the synovial fluid lubricating your joints before you subject your body to that kind of punishment. And static maintenance stretches at the end for the muscles that get tight from running - usually your calves and hamstrings.

Stretching does weaken your muscles, but only very temporarily.
    Change what you do and you'll change who you are.