Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)

So, Steel plates or bumper plates if price is comparable?

I have an opportunity to buy either Ivanko standard steel plates or "generic label" Kraiburg bumper plates for about the same price per pound, for a total of about 500 pounds. I'm primarily a power lifter, but I do like the idea of bumpers for deadiifts on heavy singles. For everything else, I could care less. My question is this. Which would you choose, and why? All rational opinions are appreciated.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Paulie_G View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy either Ivanko standard steel plates or "generic label" Kraiburg bumper plates for about the same price per pound, for a total of about 500 pounds. I'm primarily a power lifter, but I do like the idea of bumpers for deadiifts on heavy singles. For everything else, I could care less. My question is this. Which would you choose, and why? All rational opinions are appreciated.
    With most generic bumpers you can not get more than 4-450lbs on the bar as you run out of space on the sleeve. You could sandwich iron in there but I don't recommend it.

Bumpers also wear and tend to fail at the inserts. Iron stays pretty much the same as new if taken care of and holds its resale value well if purchased used.
    Last edited by GarageIron; 01-28-2013 at 08:37 AM.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As stated, kraiburg bumpers (or any "economy" bumpers) are only going to let you get ~455 on the bar. Yes, you can use some bumper, some iron, but.... that's probably defeating the whole point, because then you're not going to want to drop the bar, are you?

I've used Kraiburg bumpers before, and they are the EXACT definition of "economy" plates. Using them for Olympic lifting in a gym where ~10 people lift, they're going to last you ~2 years (in my experience). For deadlifting of course, there isn't any dropping involved, and if there is, it's from well below the waist as compared to shoulder level/overhead where and olympic lifter is dropping from. I would expect that if it's just you using the gym, you can get 5 years out of kraiburg plates if you treat them well. If you abuse them, less. Those ivankos are going to last you literally forever, barring freak accidents (or if you decide to try olympic lifting with them.) You will destroy your gym floor before you destroy those plates. So long as you build yourself a deadlift platform, you shouldn't have any trouble with drops from missed-deadlift height.

If they're similar price, I would go with the ivankos (for you, being a PL). If you were a WL, I would say save some money and get a better set of bumpers. The ivankos have longer lifetime, better potential for expansion, and they're damn sexy.

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    With most generic bumpers you can not get more than 4-450lbs on the bar as you run out of space on the sleeve. You could sandwich iron in there but I don't recommend it.
    That is a good point, but not my biggest concern, as I do have access to iron plates, if the time comes where I actually make it to 500. I'm kinda stuck at 425 right now, and my back has started getting to me a bit.

Originally Posted by jmmainvi View Post
    As stated, kraiburg bumpers (or any "economy" bumpers) are only going to let you get ~455 on the bar. Yes, you can use some bumper, some iron, but.... that's probably defeating the whole point, because then you're not going to want to drop the bar, are you?

I've used Kraiburg bumpers before, and they are the EXACT definition of "economy" plates. Using them for Olympic lifting in a gym where ~10 people lift, they're going to last you ~2 years (in my experience). For deadlifting of course, there isn't any dropping involved, and if there is, it's from well below the waist as compared to shoulder level/overhead where and olympic lifter is dropping from. I would expect that if it's just you using the gym, you can get 5 years out of kraiburg plates if you treat them well. If you abuse them, less. Those ivankos are going to last you literally forever, barring freak accidents (or if you decide to try olympic lifting with them.) You will destroy your gym floor before you destroy those plates. So long as you build yourself a deadlift platform, you shouldn't have any trouble with drops from missed-deadlift height.

If they're similar price, I would go with the ivankos (for you, being a PL). If you were a WL, I would say save some money and get a better set of bumpers. The ivankos have longer lifetime, better potential for expansion, and they're damn sexy.
    This has been my opinion for a long time. However, when I almost dropped a deadlift attempt last week, it got me thinking that I should reconsider bumpers, and when this deal came around, it was hard not to consider. However, I was thinking that maybe the Kraiburg economy plates were a bit better than average.
    Last edited by Paulie_G; 01-28-2013 at 08:50 AM.

thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jmmainvi View Post

/\ Well said. I agree. Go Ivanko if you're mainly doing power lifts. I can't see you ever regretting getting Ivankos. Also, are you lifting on stall mats or not?
    Equipment Crew #68, Ivanko Crew #47, Rogue Barbell Club #7, Mech6 Crew #30
    7'x18' Home Gym: http://goo.gl/CBphUy
    Best Lifts @ 153 bw: Sq 320, BP 245, DL 320, Press 155

ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    stick to the ivanko's, they'll outlast you. rubber mats/plywood and your floors should be fine for a drop from the waist. your grip will improve with your lift and you could use wraps, otherwise.

817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ivanko all the way
    It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ivankos will last forever. Those of mine that I bought new in the mid 8 0 s are still going strong, and I add to then used ones from craigslist whenever I can. They'll fit the bar nicely without flopping sideways like so many economy plates.

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I haven't used either but Ivanko is pretty much the creme dela creme of iron.

You're much better getting the Ivanko...

If you need bumpers later on, safe up for another set...

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would go with the ivanko plates...they'll last longer and more appropriate for what you primarily do.

What kind of flooring do you have in your gym?

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    The only economy bumpers that last are hi-temps or so I've read on the internet. And they're so thick you can only fit 400 lb on bar.

You can get 200-300 lb of bumpers for dropping cleans, snatches, push presses etc. Doesn't make sense for dropping deadlifts.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    The only economy bumpers that last are hi-temps or so I've read on the internet. And they're so thick you can only fit 400 lb on bar.

You can get 200-300 lb of bumpers for drop cleans, snatches, push presses etc. Doesn't make sense for dropping deadlifts.

you can fit 565lbs including the bar if you use the the hi-temp gorilla plate (65lbs)

http://www.roguefitness.com/gorilla-bumpers.php

http://www.hitempweights.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=2

but it's going to cost a pretty penny, and you'll still need to get the smaller plates.

Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    I would go with the ivanko plates...they'll last longer and more appropriate for what you primarily do.

What kind of flooring do you have in your gym?
    I use stall mats, but I'm going to build a platform over the next couple of weeks. I think I'm going with the Ivankos. I can get a total of 600 lb. for $450, but I have to drive 2 1/2 hours away for them. The only other option is to just add to my current Troy Wide Flange plates. That's an entirely different question.

hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use stall mats, but I'm going to build a platform over the next couple of weeks. I think I'm going with the Ivankos. I can get a total of 600 lb. for $450, but I have to drive 2 1/2 hours away for them. The only other option is to just add to my current Troy Wide Flange plates. That's an entirely different question.
    Ivanko for ur next question too... 75c/lb is a decent price without factoring the travel costs. Go for them if they dont come up frequently in ur area.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #24 ()---()

BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with Hulked. Being on the East Tenn area it's pretty dry when it comes to high quality plates. Go get those ivankos

Wheyum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheyum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheyum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheyum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheyum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheyum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheyum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheyum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheyum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheyum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheyum is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i used to workout with my buddy whom had bumpers and loved it. When i get my gym put together bumpers are really a must. Nothing like going really heavy on DL or Cleans and then just tossing the weight to the ground. The ivankos are nice and all but at the end of the day its just more steel plate weight... bumpers will be a new element to your workout equipment. just my 2cents.

james1618 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) james1618 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) james1618 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) james1618 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) james1618 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Would recommend steel. My gym's been using them for years and they're extremely durable.
    “If you don’t follow a good nutritional plan, you’re bodybuilding with one arm behind your back." – Shawn Ray

Lovin' the dumbbells: www.bowflexdumbbellsreview.com

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Which would you choose, and why? All rational opinions are appreciated.
    I would choose both.

Why? Well, why not?

You can never have too many plates.

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd get the Ivankos and then slowly add some Pendlay Elite bumpers.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everyon'es got valid points.. I'll add one: Accurracy.
    I'm willing to bet (though not through first hand knowledge) that economy bumpers are not going to be very accurrate in their weights.. Ivankos will be.

Also, I fully agree with Daniel. Buy the Ivankos then sell off your other plates to fund the purchase of some bumpers.
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Equipment Crew #57 [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

[]──[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #26 []──[]

❍--❍ York Barbell Club #34 ❍--❍

☆☆☆ That On3 Cr3w That Has Too Much Pow3r Cr3w ☆☆☆

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Best of both worlds?

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jackbravo View Post
    Best of both worlds?
    Drops with that are just as bad as steel. Plus the rubber can crack. But some people drop steel and god knows what happens to the equipment. This guy http://www.youtube.com/user/elliotts...feature=g-hist drops his pink rubber revolvers from every height and doesn't care. He must have the flooring to take it. What happens to his bars is unknown, all his dumbbells are bent from drops though.

Anyway, OP only has the option of deep dish metal Ivankos?
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you drop a deadlift with steel plates onto a plywood platform with some mats your plates aren't likely to crack, more likely for your bar to bend I feel like. Beyond that bumpers are nice but as everyone else said Ivanko or similar steel plates last forever and let you get more weight on the bar.

Just as an unrelated comment your signature says (if I am interpreting this correctly) that your goals are to bench press 315 and deadlift 1000 lbs by april since 1 ton is 2000 lbs? Did you mean 1/4 of a ton? cause that would be 500 lbs and would make sense with your above posts.

I just recently (maybe a year ago) realized 1 ton = 2000 lbs, for a long time thought it was a thousand