asymmetrical has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Lifting Hooks & Missing Digits

I'm missing three digits on one hand, and the hand also has an atypical bone structure, which makes using the two remaining fingers next-to-impossible when it comes to gripping a bar. What the hand can do is "wrap" around the bar, effectively using the palm + wrist to grip/trap the bar or handle and permit pulling for rows & overhead pulling. At heavier weight, this becomes increasingly difficult until it's impossible.

My intent is to use a lifting hook to simulate finger grip. Problem is, most hooks I've come across are not intended to replace grip, merely supplement it. So they slip off the bar, or they rip in 2 weeks, or whatever (Harbinger is particularly shoddy). The hook acts as the SOLE grip on my right hand, so it's understandable that most hooks on the market don't work for me.

However, one day at the gym I came across what appeared to be an older model of Altus lifting hooks, which had an oversized, firm hook that did not move in place and worked great for me. The Altus Athletic Standard Lifting Hooks on Amazon aren't the model I used: the hooks are smaller and not as "hooked" (the curvature is not as sharp), plus the color is different.

Anyway, I'm having a difficult time finding lifting hooks online that approximate the Altus hook I saw at the gym. Does anyone have any recommendations for my particular situation? Remember that it's important for the hook to be large so not as to slip out of place, and for the hook to be stable, as it is effectively acting as my hand for these lifts.

Thanks.

Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by asymmetrical View Post
    I'm missing three digits on one hand, and the hand also has an atypical bone structure, which makes using the two remaining fingers next-to-impossible when it comes to gripping a bar. What the hand can do is "wrap" around the bar, effectively using the palm + wrist to grip/trap the bar or handle and permit pulling for rows & overhead pulling. At heavier weight, this becomes increasingly difficult until it's impossible.

My intent is to use a lifting hook to simulate finger grip. Problem is, most hooks I've come across are not intended to replace grip, merely supplement it. So they slip off the bar, or they rip in 2 weeks, or whatever (Harbinger is particularly shoddy). The hook acts as the SOLE grip on my right hand, so it's understandable that most hooks on the market don't work for me.

However, one day at the gym I came across what appeared to be an older model of Altus lifting hooks, which had an oversized, firm hook that did not move in place and worked great for me. The Altus Athletic Standard Lifting Hooks on Amazon aren't the model I used: the hooks are smaller and not as "hooked" (the curvature is not as sharp), plus the color is different.

Anyway, I'm having a difficult time finding lifting hooks online that approximate the Altus hook I saw at the gym. Does anyone have any recommendations for my particular situation? Remember that it's important for the hook to be large so not as to slip out of place, and for the hook to be stable, as it is effectively acting as my hand for these lifts.

Thanks.
    I feel your pain..well sorta. Accident left me with nerve damage in my right arm. Its a lot weaker then my left. My wrist was fused and although I can move my fingers(tendons tied together so they all move as one), I only have grip strength in my pinky and ring finger. Its almost like permanent carpal tunnel,but a lot worse. I've been using lifting straps for what I can. And I recently bought these just to try

edit..tried to link, but not enough posts. they're the Altus Athletic Power Lifting Hooks on amazon

I havent really given them a good workout though.So far though I find they put a lot of pressure on your wrist with any real amount of weight.

Hope you find something that works for ya

Originally Posted by Scottsbaker View Post
    edit..tried to link, but not enough posts. they're the Altus Athletic Power Lifting Hooks on amazon
    Thanks, Scott. I actually placed an order on these a few days ago, and should receive them later this week. They look to emulate fingers, and I'm hoping they distribute and stabilize weight better. The wrist strap looks flimsy, though, so I'm not sure how it'll work.

Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I wrap my hand and wrist anyways with just a regular wrap to just give it some protection when lifting. I found the straps heavy and seemed to dig in a lot.

edit..I just wanna say its almost sort of encouraging to find someone else that has almost a similar lifting issue as me lol. That understand how frustrating it can be to want to lift, but be limited in doing so.

Any additional suggestions?

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Take a look at the Isolator. Here's one of their promotional videos...

OSUDimond discusses the Isolator in his studio gym thread beginning here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post849706993

When I asked him about it, he described the circumstances for needing it and said that it's very effective. I recommend reading from that point in his thread. It's a shame, however, that many of his photos are gone.
    Last edited by KBKB; 01-29-2013 at 07:56 PM.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Have you checked out haulin hooks ? I think a few folks around here use them
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

_OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have 1-Ton Power Hooks which I use to do completely hands-free pulldowns and rows. I tried the Isolator but it was too fidgety for me and I couldn't get full ROM on all exercises.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
    I have 1-Ton Power Hooks which I use to do completely hands-free pulldowns and rows.
    I hadn't heard of these before, but I think I found it after a quick search....

http://www.1tonhooks.com/
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14