SunDevil7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How Do I Know If It's Lower Back SORENESS or PAIN?

Hey everybody,

I started a new workout program this past week after a 5 month hiatus. On leg day (today) I didn't want to start too heavy, so I started with 135 lbs. for Romanian Deadlifts.
    My form was pretty spot on, although I believe I didn't push my hips in as much as I should have. Otherwise, my back was very straight. Soon after I was finished stretching, I felt my lower back start to feel tight and had mild shooting pains.

I get home later, after getting off the couch and bending over to pick something up, my lower back felt extremely tight (couldn't turn around much or bend over with tightness and pain) in the center of my lower back. I've read threads of people saying it can be soreness, but don't really explain the difference of soreness and pain.

Can any of you shed some light on what may be going on? This isn't the first time I've felt this from DL or Squats - it only happens when I do those two exercises though. I don't want to drop them from my routine, but I may have to if this is continuous.

Thanks.

alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do you feel sharp pain or is it more like stiffness like after a srs bench workout? could be a pinched nerve too.

Originally Posted by alphaZ85 View Post
    Do you feel sharp pain or is it more like stiffness like after a srs bench workout? could be a pinched nerve too.
    It's pretty much uncomfortable and somewhat painful to sit on soft furniture. Like right above my coccyx to under my mid back.

alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alphaZ85 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SunDevil7 View Post
    It's pretty much uncomfortable and somewhat painful to sit on soft furniture. Like right above my coccyx to under my mid back.
    hmm honestly you might have to wait a see a few days and if it is still there, then its possible you pulled something just keep pressure on it like a back support thats what I do. as for why it happens, maybe infrequency how many times a week do you do it? strengthen you core that will help too.

retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Man, I'd be concerned if you made a point of going light yet still felt shooting pain and felt uncomfortable in a seated position afterwards. Take it slow and see how your body feels.

Originally Posted by retiredrunner View Post
    Man, I'd be concerned if you made a point of going light yet still felt shooting pain and felt uncomfortable in a seated position afterwards. Take it slow and see how your body feels.
    Yeah, I mean I warmed up with just the BB before putting weight on. I debated starting at 95 lbs, but maybe starting at 135 lbs was too soon... I ended my sets at 155 lbs. because of the pain. Again, it's been a while and my body was rusty... maybe I pushed myself too hard.

hmm honestly you might have to wait a see a few days and if it is still there, then its possible you pulled something just keep pressure on it like a back support thats what I do. as for why it happens, maybe infrequency how many times a week do you do it? strengthen you core that will help too.
    Yeah that's what my best guess is... it's been 5 months away from the gym and this is my first week/first Leg day. I'm real pissed because I debated not starting as heavy after such a long break. I took Ibuprofin to control the pain, but it still lingers. If it continuous, I'll just make an appointment with my doctor. I have Chest and Triceps tomorrow... think I should still go for it?

Originally Posted by SunDevil7 View Post
    Yeah that's what my best guess is... it's been 5 months away from the gym and this is my first week/first Leg day. I'm real pissed because I debated not starting as heavy after such a long break. I took Ibuprofin to control the pain, but it still lingers. If it continuous, I'll just make an appointment with my doctor. I have Chest and Triceps tomorrow... think I should still go for it?
    It all depends on how your back feels. You don't want to snap your back up. If it were me and it didnt hurt too much, id wear a lifting belt to keep my back tight and straight and just stick to the machine with about 60-70% of your normal heavy lifting weight till you feel better to do compound movements without snapping something.

It all depends on how your back feels. You don't want to snap your back up. If it were me and it didnt hurt too much, id wear a lifting belt to keep my back tight and straight and just stick to the machine with about 60-70% of your normal heavy lifting weight till you feel better to do compound movements without snapping something.
    Thanks man, 'preciate the feedback! I'll use the machines this week with a belt... play it safe.