BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking First day as a PT tomorrow!

Hey guys,

About a month ago I posted a thread about my desire to be a PT. Long story short, I wanted to be a PT back in high school, but I chose to listen to the wrong people when I was a freshmen in college and ended up going into accounting hoping to make lots of money. Found out it really sucked and that I couldn't do something I wasn't passionate about for the rest of my life, so I quit my accounting job and realized that I should have gone with my true passion. Oh well, you live and learn.

Anyway, I have my NASM exam scheduled for February 12th (I've been studying for 6-8 hours a day) and last week I got hired at a Xperience Fitness as a PT. Needless to say I'm really excited to finally start doing what I love to do. And no, this is not a please give me some advice on how to be successful kind of thread, there are plenty of those already. Just wanted to share with the rest of you that tomorrow I'll finally start working as a PT. I know I have a long road ahead of me of continuous learning in order to become a great PT, but I'm up for the challenge, and I must say, it feels damn good to have successfully dropped a career I hated to do what I had always wanted to do.

dbh332 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dbh332 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dbh332 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dbh332 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dbh332 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dbh332 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dbh332 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dbh332 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dbh332 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dbh332 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dbh332 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nice to see this op, Hope you have fun!
    git 'er done

ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man, I'm a fellow Milwaukee trainer! Which Xperiance you work at? I actually just got a job in the Anytime Fitness right by you in New Berlin. Corner of National and Moorland. Maybe we'll bump into each other sometime.

BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ProxyViaProxy View Post
    Hey man, I'm a fellow Milwaukee trainer! Which Xperiance you work at? I actually just got a job in the Anytime Fitness right by you in New Berlin. Corner of National and Moorland. Maybe we'll bump into each other sometime.
    The Xperience in Hales Corners. Glad to see other people from the Milwaukee area here, it's a great city. Good luck at Anytime.

Originally Posted by dbh332 View Post
    Nice to see this op, Hope you have fun!
    Thank you, looking forward to it.

tinapt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinapt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinapt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinapt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinapt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinapt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinapt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinapt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Congratulations! Lol I also went into accounting hoping it would make money but I too have realised I can't do it for the rest of my life. Leaving once I go on maternity leave then will stick with PT full time.

JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    goodluck. its a learning process
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

Online coaching avilable
    ******** Great Physique Fitness https://www.********.com/Great-Physique-Fitness-575323199169735/?ref=hl
    Twitter SmetonFitness https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/great_physique_fitness/?hl=en

ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BadgerDave View Post
    The Xperience in Hales Corners. Glad to see other people from the Milwaukee area here, it's a great city. Good luck at Anytime.
    I'm actually a member there, I'm keeping it for the pool. I hope you have alot of success too!

kandufitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) kandufitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) kandufitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) kandufitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) kandufitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) kandufitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) kandufitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) kandufitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) kandufitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) kandufitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) kandufitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So how was it? I remember my first "real" session (getting paid it was someone who I didn't know at all unlike before). I was a little nervous in the beginning, but by the 10 min mark, it was in my comfort zone and the session went well.

I hope it was the same for you.
    Kandu of KanduFitness
    "You kanduFitness, let me show you how"

YouTube: www.youtube.com/kandufitness
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/kandufitness
    ******** Fan Pg: www.********.com/kandufitness

Originally Posted by kandufitness View Post
    So how was it? I remember my first "real" session (getting paid it was someone who I didn't know at all unlike before). I was a little nervous in the beginning, but by the 10 min mark, it was in my comfort zone and the session went well.

I hope it was the same for you.
    The first day was kind of lame, but understandably so with training, paperwork and what not. Had my first client yesterday and she was a very nice lady who seems very motivated herself so it definitely made it easier. But being the first session we just talked about her goals, went through the PAR-Q, got measurements and a basic fitness test. I'm really excited to design her workout and get her going.

I think the biggest challenge for me is going to be becoming a good salesman for PT. I don't think it'll be that tough to get good at it, just a learning process of trial and error seeing what works in getting people excited enough to realize that a PT could really help them achieve their fitness goals. What's great about selling PT sessions though is that you know you're selling them a service that will really improve their quality of life and overall health, so it's not like selling a car that they don't need.

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The first day was kind of lame, but understandably so with training, paperwork and what not. Had my first client yesterday and she was a very nice lady who seems very motivated herself so it definitely made it easier. But being the first session we just talked about her goals, went through the PAR-Q, got measurements and a basic fitness test. I'm really excited to design her workout and get her going.

I think the biggest challenge for me is going to be becoming a good salesman for PT. I don't think it'll be that tough to get good at it, just a learning process of trial and error seeing what works in getting people excited enough to realize that a PT could really help them achieve their fitness goals. What's great about selling PT sessions though is that you know you're selling them a service that will really improve their quality of life and overall health, so it's not like selling a car that they don't need.
    If you keep this mentality, you'll be fine.
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey guys,

About a month ago I posted a thread about my desire to be a PT. Long story short, I wanted to be a PT back in high school, but I chose to listen to the wrong people when I was a freshmen in college and ended up going into accounting hoping to make lots of money. Found out it really sucked and that I couldn't do something I wasn't passionate about for the rest of my life, so I quit my accounting job and realized that I should have gone with my true passion. Oh well, you live and learn.

Anyway, I have my NASM exam scheduled for February 12th (I've been studying for 6-8 hours a day) and last week I got hired at a Xperience Fitness as a PT. Needless to say I'm really excited to finally start doing what I love to do. And no, this is not a please give me some advice on how to be successful kind of thread, there are plenty of those already. Just wanted to share with the rest of you that tomorrow I'll finally start working as a PT. I know I have a long road ahead of me of continuous learning in order to become a great PT, but I'm up for the challenge, and I must say, it feels damn good to have successfully dropped a career I hated to do what I had always wanted to do.
    Awesome work with completing your qualifications and now it's time for the next challenge in your journey!

Sales and Marketing + Business SKILLS.

Developing your business acumen is crucial to the success of any self-employed personal trainer, especially if you're renting from a gym with rent to pay.

You'll want to start leveraging online marketing, ********, youtube, viral blogging system, and even direct marketing through referrals and word of mouth.... But let's be honest...

the most powerful way for you to get new clients is through going VIRAL.

People talk about you direct to their friends, share your posts and articles on ********, twitter, pinterest etc

Just as a quick example.

I actually teach how to do all of this using a simple 3 step system but that's for another day.

All the best with it man!
    Nick Ritchie
    NLP, Hypnotist, Online Fitness Coach

Join My 12 Week Transformation Program:

http://nickritchielive.com/transformation-program

Really starting to like this now. Closed my first sale of PT yesterday and my first floor pick-up of a very interested prospective client. Plus I found a couple more prospective clients out on the floor, I'm really starting to like working the floor.

And thanks for the advice about viral marketing Nick. Definitely something I've kept in mind and will start to develop soon...the one part in this profession where my business degree should come in handy.

nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Really starting to like this now. Closed my first sale of PT yesterday and my first floor pick-up of a very interested prospective client. Plus I found a couple more prospective clients out on the floor, I'm really starting to like working the floor.

And thanks for the advice about viral marketing Nick. Definitely something I've kept in mind and will start to develop soon...the one part in this profession where my business degree should come in handy.
    Nice work on closing your first client!

Viral Marketing is the bomb.. comes in many forms.. but the most successful pt's I've seen are the ones that fire up their marketing funnel... so don't wait to get cracking into that!
    Nick Ritchie
    NLP, Hypnotist, Online Fitness Coach

Join My 12 Week Transformation Program:

http://nickritchielive.com/transformation-program

areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great jobDave! Similar story with me... Luckily for me I realized my sophomore year that accounting was not for me! I took off the next semester and studied for my cert. it's a long hard challenging road, extremely frustrating at times, but your attitude will set you apart from the thousands of other trainers who are in it thinking its easy money and a way to meet "friends with benefits."best of luck!!

kayser13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are you still working there as of now?

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Smile

Hey guys,

Good luck OP!
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500)
    Wow, you left accounting for personal training?! I'd trade careers with you in an instant.

Have fun selling and working from sunrise to sunset for the rest of your life.

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by UnemployedCSCS View Post
    Wow, you left accounting for personal training?! I'd trade careers with you in an instant.

Have fun selling and working from sunrise to sunset for the rest of your life.
    Who said anything about sunrise to sunset? If you're working super long hours as a PT, you're doing it wrong and one hasn't set up their availabilities correctly or managed their clients in certain ways.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500) UnemployedCSCS is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Simmo0508 View Post
    Who said anything about sunrise to sunset? If you're working super long hours as a PT, you're doing it wrong and one hasn't set up their availabilities correctly or managed their clients in certain ways.
    Its really hard to find people available in the middle of the day. Usually when you're a trainer you have to work a split shift which sucks balls.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by UnemployedCSCS View Post
    Its really hard to find people available in the middle of the day. Usually when you're a trainer you have to work a split shift which sucks balls.
    To make a sustainable living as a PT, you're looking at roughly 20-30 hours worth of sessions per week, depending on how much you charge and what your expenses are. Let's assume you charge $100/hr (obviously the viability of this will depend largely on your location and the subsequent socioeconomic status of your clients), and half of that income becomes tax, gym fees and other business expenses. That leaves you with $50/hr to take home. With 20 hours worth of sessions, you'll get $1,000. Not the incredible take-home pay that a lot of gyms will sell you on, but a reasonable living. Now, 20 hours works out to be 5x4hr shifts. You could do that as pure morning shifts 5 days a week, or as pure evening shifts 5 days a week, or as morning/evening/morning/evening/morning three days straight followed by a four day weekend. If you like a 9-5 lifestyle (which, frankly, is rather appealing, considering that all your family and friends probably operate around the same lifestyle, so 9-5 is socially functional), then none of these options are ideal, however each of these options is quite workable. If, however, you've got 1 client at 6am, 1 at 9am, 1 at 12:30pm, 1 at 5:30pm, and 1 at 8pm, yeah, life's going to suck.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    To make a sustainable living as a PT, you're looking at roughly 20-30 hours worth of sessions per week, depending on how much you charge and what your expenses are. Let's assume you charge $100/hr (obviously the viability of this will depend largely on your location and the subsequent socioeconomic status of your clients), and half of that income becomes tax, gym fees and other business expenses. That leaves you with $50/hr to take home. With 20 hours worth of sessions, you'll get $1,000. Not the incredible take-home pay that a lot of gyms will sell you on, but a reasonable living. Now, 20 hours works out to be 5x4hr shifts. You could do that as pure morning shifts 5 days a week, or as pure evening shifts 5 days a week, or as morning/evening/morning/evening/morning three days straight followed by a four day weekend. If you like a 9-5 lifestyle (which, frankly, is rather appealing, considering that all your family and friends probably operate around the same lifestyle, so 9-5 is socially functional), then none of these options are ideal, however each of these options is quite workable. If, however, you've got 1 client at 6am, 1 at 9am, 1 at 12:30pm, 1 at 5:30pm, and 1 at 8pm, yeah, life's going to suck.
    lol Exactly. It's what you make of it. What you create and how you want to set it up.

If you want to work day times, you have to target a different demographic whom have free time during that part of the day. Mothers, nearby workers with time in their lunch breaks, seniors etc. And to be honest, there's actually a huge demand for "day time" trainers because most of us do indeed do the morning/night split shift routine which neglects that demographic's availability.

- set your hours and your availabilities in when you WANT to work
    - what demographic is available at those times generally?
    - group the sessions back to back to increase productivity and reduce "down time" sitting around in between sessions
    Last edited by Simmo0508; 10-10-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted