smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question How do I tell my prep coach...

So a little background: I have never competed before, but my first will be OCB Green Mtn Thaw March 10th. I have been working with a prep coach since July and he has helped me go from 33% bf to 12%! Almost all of his clients compete in natural shows and he is a judge and avid support of the natural divisions. Any time I ask about the NPC he doesn't really have anything nice to say, like its full of politics and steroids. I understand that there is a dark side, but what sport doesn't have this! I mean look at baseball and cycling! I'm planning to compete in bikini so I don't think the latter issue will affect me much...

So please help me out with this one:

I went to an NPC seminar at Bev Francis Powerhouse in NYC yesterday. It was really informative and made me really think about what direction I want to take my competitions this spring. I am conflicted because I have always wondered/wanted to end up competing in the NPC, but took my coaches advice and planned to compete in the OCB. I am still going to do at least the first show (OCB Green MT Thaw), but I am thinking about changing my plan after that. The reason why I am conflicted is because he is a judge and strong supporter of the natural organizations, so he really pushed me that direction and doesn't speak favorably of the NPC. I want to come to my own conclusion about the NPC after competing in it, not just take one person's opinion as truth. But I really don't want to go against what he thinks I should do before I even went through my first show...

So after the seminar yesterday, I decided that I would be upset at myself if I didn't at least try and NPC show this season. In the beginning of my prep I didn't think I would do well in the NPC because it was a "high caliber" type show and my physique wouldn't be ready. But now I have more confidence in myself, and even if I won't do as well because there are more girls, I still want that experience. In the end, its really about my goals and making myself happy, not my coach.

So I need to figure out a way to tell my coach I want to compete in NPC shows after the OCB (March 10th, already signed up), but i'm honestly a little nervous that he won't approve, or won't help me as much because I am not competing in the organizations he supports. Let me just make this one point clear: I have nothing against the natural organizations. I am just drawn more towards the NPC bikini girls physique (little more muscular and lean) I am also looking to get a little more exposure in the long run because I would ultimately like to make this a career (dream big!), and the NPC or WBFF seem to be the two best divisions for that. Don't worry, I'm a full time engineer, so I won't quit my day job just yet

But my coach has done such a good job figuring out what works for me, he is helpful and for the most part supportive (idk about going to the NPC tho!), so I don't want to tarnish the relationship! Especially so close to the spring shows! What should I do!??

sindibee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sindibee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sindibee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sindibee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sindibee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sindibee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sindibee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sindibee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sindibee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sindibee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sindibee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You're paying this man for his time, right? I'm not sure if I'd want somebody to coach me if they'd "not put as much effort into me" if I decided to pursue my dreams. He should be professional and understanding. Maybe show him this post so he can see how this is your goal and you value him as your trainer but are nervous to approach him.
    Good luck
    * dont even have a crew *
    |||---------you can find me at the bar---------|||

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by smiskell View Post
    So a little background: I have never competed before, but my first will be OCB Green Mtn Thaw March 10th. I have been working with a prep coach since July and he has helped me go from 33% bf to 12%! Almost all of his clients compete in natural shows and he is a judge and avid support of the natural divisions. Any time I ask about the NPC he doesn't really have anything nice to say, like its full of politics and steroids. I understand that there is a dark side, but what sport doesn't have this! I mean look at baseball and cycling! I'm planning to compete in bikini so I don't think the latter issue will affect me much...

So please help me out with this one:

I went to an NPC seminar at Bev Francis Powerhouse in NYC yesterday. It was really informative and made me really think about what direction I want to take my competitions this spring. I am conflicted because I have always wondered/wanted to end up competing in the NPC, but took my coaches advice and planned to compete in the OCB. I am still going to do at least the first show (OCB Green MT Thaw), but I am thinking about changing my plan after that. The reason why I am conflicted is because he is a judge and strong supporter of the natural organizations, so he really pushed me that direction and doesn't speak favorably of the NPC. I want to come to my own conclusion about the NPC after competing in it, not just take one person's opinion as truth. But I really don't want to go against what he thinks I should do before I even went through my first show...

So after the seminar yesterday, I decided that I would be upset at myself if I didn't at least try and NPC show this season. In the beginning of my prep I didn't think I would do well in the NPC because it was a "high caliber" type show and my physique wouldn't be ready. But now I have more confidence in myself, and even if I won't do as well because there are more girls, I still want that experience. In the end, its really about my goals and making myself happy, not my coach.

So I need to figure out a way to tell my coach I want to compete in NPC shows after the OCB (March 10th, already signed up), but i'm honestly a little nervous that he won't approve, or won't help me as much because I am not competing in the organizations he supports. Let me just make this one point clear: I have nothing against the natural organizations. I am just drawn more towards the NPC bikini girls physique (little more muscular and lean) I am also looking to get a little more exposure in the long run because I would ultimately like to make this a career (dream big!), and the NPC or WBFF seem to be the two best divisions for that. Don't worry, I'm a full time engineer, so I won't quit my day job just yet

But my coach has done such a good job figuring out what works for me, he is helpful and for the most part supportive (idk about going to the NPC tho!), so I don't want to tarnish the relationship! Especially so close to the spring shows! What should I do!??
    Since when does a coach pick their clients shows? Pick the shows you want to do period.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10) smiskell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Since when does a coach pick their clients shows? Pick the shows you want to do period.
    I had no idea what shows were good for "my first show". So I relied on his opinion. But over the past weeks/months I've become more educated and understand more about each type of organization. So i've decided on this new direction, but I agree with you. Thanks!

Originally Posted by sindibee View Post
    You're paying this man for his time, right? I'm not sure if I'd want somebody to coach me if they'd "not put as much effort into me" if I decided to pursue my dreams. He should be professional and understanding. Maybe show him this post so he can see how this is your goal and you value him as your trainer but are nervous to approach him.
    Good luck
    Yes I agree with you. I guess I am worried that if I cannot change his mind or he is unprofessional, I will be coach-less right before my shows! I am hoping he understands and is professional, but if he is not, I am not going to deal with it because I do pay him a pretty penny!

Thanks for your help!

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by smiskell View Post
    I had no idea what shows were good for "my first show". So I relied on his opinion. But over the past weeks/months I've become more educated and understand more about each type of organization. So i've decided on this new direction, but I agree with you. Thanks!
    That makes sense, so I get it. OCB is a great natty org. They run some great shows and you'll find most of the competitors very friendly and helpful. I'm not going to agree that NPC girls look better compared to OBC girls. I've seen plenty of OCB competitors that would blow NPC girls out of the water. It all depends on the area and the show...you never know who's going to show up on that day. As a competitor, it makes complete sense to compete in different orgs to figure out which one suits you best.
    Last edited by kimm4; 01-27-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Registered User transformerchad's Avatar
    transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000)
    completely off topic , how does one get a coach ? ... i agree with what people say above ... This is about u , not your coach . tell him what u want

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    That makes sense, so I get it. OCB is a great natty org. They run some great shows and you'll find most of the competitors very friendly and helpful. I'm not going to agree that NPC girls look better compared to OBC girls. I've seen plenty of OCB competitors that would blow NPC girls out of the water. It all depends on the area and the show...you never know who's going to show up on that day. As a competitor, it makes complete sense to compete in different orgs to figure out which one suits you best.
    That's exactly why I'm still planning to do my first show with the OCB. I didn't mean to imply that I think NPC girls look better! I just like the more muscular look. I was having a hard time determining if I would want to compete as bikini or figure in the OCB. I will probably learn a lot at my first show, so I did not mean to offend!

Another question (posted this in my journal too) for anyone: If I was planning for shows in March/April, what is the consequence of pushing my show dates out until April/May. I'm afraid if i'm in this "pre contest" state for too long I can damage my metabolism or push it to un-healthy duration. But what does someone do if their show dates change or they diet down too fast?

Can i cut down on the cardio or incorporate a few more re-feeds? I'm at 12.5% now and I think im a few pounds away from my target for the March show. There is a large gap between my first and second show. March 10th and April 13th.....