Spads42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I need help getting in shape for WOMEN'S tackle football...?

Okay, well let me just start off that I played on my high school's [American] football team (yes, with the boys) my senior year. Because I was a senior I automatically made the varsity team. I'd say I was decent considering it was my first time doing a team sport since I was a little kid, and I went in not knowing anything really about football. I was a DB, practiced with the safeties but when the coaches put me in the games they played me as a corner (have no idea why).
    Anyway, it was one of the best experiences I had in high school. I was really bummed when the season was over because I thought I'd never get the chance to play football. BUT then I found the IWFL, and I was super excited. I missed the try outs for the 2013 season but now at least I have more time to get back into shape (try outs for 2014 will be in November I think).
    So, my problem is, I haven't really lifted weights since football season (like January-September-ish) of 2011, so I have no clue where to begin. I actually work at a gym so I have a free membership there, so I have access to weights and that cardio equipment. I live close to the high school I went to so I have access to a track and a field. I'm just not sure where to begin so I think what I need help with is figuring out a work-out plan, but it needs to be really specific and detailed because I've only ever worked out with a team, and had coaches telling me what to do. I work nights so I've been going to the gym around 10am and doing some light running on the treadmills and some light squat and bench because I figured it would be best to start myself back on square one because it's been so long since I've lifted.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is hard to read. I'm not really sure what to say to get my point across.
    Oh and also, if I do try out it will probably be for a DB since I already have an idea of what they do.
    Thanks again everyone.

Edit: Not sure if it matters but I'm about 5'5" and like, 150lbs. I'm not really like, chubby or anything. I threw for my track team sophomore-senior year (so I did track after football season) and we did a lot of core, squats (like 200 a day without weight) and push ups. So I'm guessing some of that 150 has to be muscle.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    You beat me to it!

My only advice is add in conditioning more and more when season gets closer. Start a log as someone who plans on making another attempt at football i would be interested how it goes for you.
    AverageToSavagePL ---> Logging Avatar Nutrition and Juggernaut Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170942461&p=1433119761#post1433119761

Originally Posted by JohnMariettePT View Post
    You beat me to it!

My only advice is add in conditioning more and more when season gets closer. Start a log as someone who plans on making another attempt at football i would be interested how it goes for you.
    Thanks guys. I actually found a work out plan that seems like something I would be able to do.
    What kind of log do you mean?
    And I wasn't planning on visiting this site often but I'll definitely try to keep this thread posted on how everything goes
    Last edited by Spads42; 01-29-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Pineappletrain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

not regular training

Not sure if i can contribute much since ive never played football myself, but its a contact sports and DB seems to be the guard so im asuming you will be tackling ppl.
    Well the obvious you need to be in a good over all shape, but sport spesifics would probably be eplosiveness, your not doing any long distance runs its most likley sprints to catch some dude with the ball. So Im not sure what type of program your following now but be sure to really emphazise on your explosivnes, but probably most importantly footwork, since you cant have them juke you and run past.
    Hope i helped somewhat, oh and here is some sort of football program here on bodybuilding, im not aloved to post links but its called the NFL combine trainer, they should have some sport spesific tips there im sure

Thanks for the tip

I guess maybe I should post what kind of work out I decided to do. And maybe you guys could help me change it or anything if it needs it?

Monday- off (because Mondays suck)

Tuesday- off (because I work a 7 hour shift that night instead of my usual 4 and a half)

Wednesday- Legs, 3 sets of each thing, reps would be 10-8-6. The main exercises I'd do would be squats, leg press, and leg curls. Then I'd also do a set of 15-25 lunges. Then some stretching. I also added 10-15 minutes of cardio before I lift.

Thursday- Upper Body, 5 sets, reps would be 10-10-8-6-6. I'd do bench, power clean + press, bent over barbell row/seated row. Then stretches and I also added 5-10 minutes of cardio before I lift.

Friday- 30-90 minutes (most likely will be 30 minutes because my schedule is weird Friday) of HIIT cardio. But for a week or two (so two fridays) I'm going to do a long, slower paced run because I think I need to get in better cardiovascular shape before I do more intense running

Saturday- Technique Day. I'd start off with stretching, then do position specific drills (I'd need to find some). Then stretch

Sunday- Misc day I guess. Stretch, improvised agility course, box jumps, and push ups

I actually found this work out somewhere on this site. It was a second best answer but I liked it because it told me what exercises to do, and how many sets/reps to do. But I modified it (took some stuff out and moved the days around) to fit my schedule and what I feel comfortable doing. I told it to my boyfriend who was on the football team with me during high school and he said it sounded good, but he was half asleep sooo... lol
    does that sound good? I'm going to start it tomorrow if it does

JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Spads42 View Post
    Thanks for the tip

I guess maybe I should post what kind of work out I decided to do. And maybe you guys could help me change it or anything if it needs it?

Monday- off (because Mondays suck)

Tuesday- off (because I work a 7 hour shift that night instead of my usual 4 and a half)

Wednesday- Legs, 3 sets of each thing, reps would be 10-8-6. The main exercises I'd do would be squats, leg press, and leg curls. Then I'd also do a set of 15-25 lunges. Then some stretching. I also added 10-15 minutes of cardio before I lift.

Thursday- Upper Body, 5 sets, reps would be 10-10-8-6-6. I'd do bench, power clean + press, bent over barbell row/seated row. Then stretches and I also added 5-10 minutes of cardio before I lift.

Friday- 30-90 minutes (most likely will be 30 minutes because my schedule is weird Friday) of HIIT cardio. But for a week or two (so two fridays) I'm going to do a long, slower paced run because I think I need to get in better cardiovascular shape before I do more intense running

Saturday- Technique Day. I'd start off with stretching, then do position specific drills (I'd need to find some). Then stretch

Sunday- Misc day I guess. Stretch, improvised agility course, box jumps, and push ups

I actually found this work out somewhere on this site. It was a second best answer but I liked it because it told me what exercises to do, and how many sets/reps to do. But I modified it (took some stuff out and moved the days around) to fit my schedule and what I feel comfortable doing. I told it to my boyfriend who was on the football team with me during high school and he said it sounded good, but he was half asleep sooo... lol
    does that sound good? I'm going to start it tomorrow if it does
    I would really look into, Joe DeFranco.

Also was your boyfriend a db/wr? He could really help you out then, simple hip turn techniques will help tons.
    AverageToSavagePL ---> Logging Avatar Nutrition and Juggernaut Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170942461&p=1433119761#post1433119761

I would really look into, Joe DeFranco.

Also was your boyfriend a db/wr? He could really help you out then, simple hip turn techniques will help tons.
    Ok I'll try to get around to looking into it.
    And no, he wasn't. He was a lineman. The 3 friends I had on the team (including my bf) were all linemen. I knew them before I joined the team. And they all moved away for college so they couldn't help me anyway. :0

Start a log as someone who plans on making another attempt at football i would be interested how it goes for you.
    I made a side blog on tumblr (since I spend a lot of time on there :'p) to write down my lifting and stuff.
    Pineappletrain said he wasn't allowed to post links so I don't know if that means I can't either. But if you want to look at that I put it as my personal website on my profile thing. I just made it today so there's not a lot on there.

So there's been a change of plans (not sure if anyone checks this but I'm trying to be better about updating things).
    The plan was originally to move up to Reno with my boyfriend and try out for their team in November or whenever the tryouts this year were. But unfortunately we're no longer together so I will not be trying out yet. On the plus side this gives me more time to get into better shape (my family is planning to move to Washington, eventually, and I'm pretty sure Seattle has a team). Anyway, I just want to thank everyone for posting and if you have any more suggestions or advice I'd be happy to read it.
    BTW, I've been struggling with bench and haven't gone up in months, anyone know anything about that?