Thread: Paleo

surfbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Paleo

Is it a good idea to clean bulk on a paleo diet?

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The "paleo" diet is just an arbitrary restriction of foods.

The outcome of your diet will be determined by daily energy balance and micro/macronutrient sufficiency.

surfbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    The "paleo" diet is just an arbitrary restriction of foods.

The outcome of your diet will be determined by daily energy balance and micro/macronutrient sufficiency.
    Will it keep me at or around my bf while bulking even though I'm at a surplus due to the fewer carbs or will it be like any bulking diet and I will gain some bf as I go along?

Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You could if you wanted to, but there's no good reason to follow a paleo diet unless it's a preference and I can't imagine anyone really doesn't like any of the things restricted by paleo. Restricting food choices when trying to bulk doesn't seem logical anyway, although obviously you could still easily hit a surplus.

Do it if you want to do it.

Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by surfbrah View Post
    Will it keep me at or around my bf while bulking even though I'm at a surplus due to the fewer carbs or will it be like any bulking diet and I will gain some bf as I go along?
    You'll gain fat. Caloric surplus makes you gain fat, not carbs, so if you don't want to gain fat then eat at a smaller surplus.

Registered User Evanisthecoasty's Avatar
    Evanisthecoasty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The question you should ask yourself is why do you want to try paleo, it is an unnecessary restriction of foods. It will work just the same as any other diet assuming you hit your macros for the day.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Your weight and body composition is determined by sustained energy balance and micro/macronutrient sufficiency, not the name of the diet you follow.

usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Is it a good idea to clean bulk on a paleo diet?
    No.
    My path to contest prep:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160935491&page=1

kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Evanisthecoasty View Post
    The question you should ask yourself is why do you want to try paleo, it is an unnecessary restriction of foods. It will work just the same as any other diet assuming you hit your macros for the day.
    Maybe for overall health? Paleo/Primal is a good diet if you stick to it. It isn't really a "body builder" diet but, its a good clean healthy diet. There are a lot of reasons to cut out the crap that paleo followers cut out.

I've been a fat burner for almost a year now and my OVERALL health has been cray. My lifting progress has slowed, but I do still progress. I've recently started adding more "primal" carbs such as white rice and milk into my diet and it has helped my progression.

The good thing is I never really have to cut because I am always within 3-5 pounds of my target rate.

Originally Posted by kingofturtles View Post
    Maybe for overall health? Paleo/Primal is a good diet if you stick to it. It isn't really a "body builder" diet but, its a good clean healthy diet. There are a lot of reasons to cut out the crap that paleo followers cut out.

I've been a fat burner for almost a year now and my OVERALL health has been cray. My lifting progress has slowed, but I do still progress. I've recently started adding more "primal" carbs such as white rice and milk into my diet and it has helped my progression.

The good thing is I never really have to cut because I am always within 3-5 pounds of my target rate.
    Well that is just fantastic for you, if you feel like the diet works for you then keep at it, but it is by no means a magical way of eating that you cant accomplish by just hitting macros and micros with a well balanced diet.

It isn't really a "body builder" diet but, its a good clean healthy diet. There are a lot of reasons to cut out the crap that paleo followers cut out.
    One of the leading advocates of a "paleo" diet sells processed fast food labeled as "paleo protein powder".

And paleolithic era folks would most certainly not be eating clean foods, as they would consume whatever was available without modern concepts of safe food preparation.

kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One of the leading advocates of a "paleo" diet sells processed fast food labeled as "paleo protein powder".

And paleolithic era folks would most certainly not be eating clean foods, as they would consume whatever was available without modern concepts of safe food preparation.
    I think too many people take the "eat what cavemen ate" thing too seriously. Obviously theres going to be differences. If you look at the lifestyle at its basic level, its eating clean whole foods like meat, nuts, vegetables and some fruit and dairy while cutting out wheat/grain ect... who cares what cavemen ate, I am over that.

Well that is just fantastic for you, if you feel like the diet works for you then keep at it, but it is by no means a magical way of eating that you cant accomplish by just hitting macros and micros with a well balanced diet.
    Its an option. I've re-read my post several times; cant find where I said it was the only option.

I think too many people take the "eat what cavemen ate" thing too seriously. Obviously theres going to be differences. If you look at the lifestyle at its basic level, its eating clean whole foods like meat, nuts, vegetables and some fruit and dairy while cutting out wheat/grain ect... who cares what cavemen ate, I am over that.
    Those evil wheat plants.

Those evil wheat plants.
    You have good posts. Very knowledgeable and helpful. You clearly know what your talking about. Repped.

You have good posts. Very knowledgeable and helpful. You clearly know what your talking about. Repped.
    Hey thanks man, I wish you well on your clean healthy foods and goals of 2013. And I just realized you are not the OP I originally posited my question to in the first place.

If you look at the lifestyle at its basic level, its eating clean whole foods like meat, nuts, vegetables and some fruit and dairy while cutting out wheat/grain ect...
    But those foods are not clean naturally, as they need to be washed in order to get the dirt off them. Anyway, what's the big deal about washing food? Really? And then any food will be clean.

motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Watch OP, it'll sum up + provide more info than this thread will provide

CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    But those foods are not clean naturally, as they need to be washed in order to get the dirt off them. Anyway, what's the big deal about washing food? Really? And then any food will be clean.
    Isn't there another diet program out there that advocates eating some dirt every day?

You cant use city water to "clean" them either. Its polluted. Spring water is needed.

CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    From what I've gathered, the founders of the Paleo movement were guys with celiac disease. These people made some big generalizations ie.. One kind of grain is killing me, therefore all grains are bad and wheat is bad for me so it must be bad for everyone.