KeepSquatting is not very well liked. (-100) KeepSquatting is not very well liked. (-100) KeepSquatting is not very well liked. (-100) KeepSquatting is not very well liked. (-100) KeepSquatting is not very well liked. (-100) KeepSquatting is not very well liked. (-100) KeepSquatting is not very well liked. (-100) KeepSquatting is not very well liked. (-100) KeepSquatting is not very well liked. (-100) KeepSquatting is not very well liked. (-100) KeepSquatting is not very well liked. (-100)

Biceps gain size but not strength

No matter what I can't seem to ever increase the weight on bicep exercises at least not while maintaining proper form. Like I've been stuck on using the 22.5kg dumbbells for hammers for a long time now but as soon as i try to increase to even 25kg i can't do the movement for more than 1 rep without swinging. Same with preacher curls, I'll use 10kg for a warm up and by the first working set I can't get more than a few reps. My biceps have actually increased in mass and size, and I have made good progress in terms of adding mass by doing a separate arm day instead of doing biceps after back, but still it doesn't increase in terms of strength and my biceps still get too fatigued after just a couple of sets

All other body parts I increase weight on them all the time and my strength goes up, but biceps I still have to keep using small weights because they are too tired all the time to ever increase

The only bicep exercise I can do more than a couple sets on without getting fatigued straight away is seated curls

I don't use a spotter for biceps, could this be the problem?

Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    the bicep is actually a pretty damn small muscle in comparison to the rest of the body, the muscle itself just isn't meant to handle loads as heavy as other muscles, like the back. I personally don't worry to much about not being able to increase weight on curling movements, the main exercises I look for progress in related to my biceps are back compounds, like rows/pullups.

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    how long have they stalled in strength? weeks-wise? it doesn't really sound like an issue, like the above poster said-biceps are a very small muscle group, strength gains are going to be much slower than say your bench press and squats. in my 3 months of recent bulking, i don't think i've increased my barbell curls by more than 10 lbs with strict form, though number of reps definitely have.

another thing to take into consideration is WHEN you work your biceps. most of us do them following back work. well if your back exercises are going up in weight, then your biceps can't be expected to be setting PRs as well...it MAY happen to a small degree, but if not then who cares? all back work requires the arms to work so if they're fried by the time you get to them from doing heavier weight, then you should be happy to even get your usual amount of weight up on bis.

as long as they're getting bigger, and so are you compounds, you're good to go.

moral of the story: worry about you and ONLY you until someone talks to you. not the other way around.
    Last edited by sharpieblet; 01-27-2013 at 07:30 AM.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you are only able to do 1 rep at 25 kg it sounds like even 22.5 kg might be too heavy for you. How many reps are you doing of 22.5? When in your workout is this?
    College Football Training Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152135513

Maxs:
    Barbell Bench Press - 295 lbs
    Squat - 455 lbs
    Deadlift - 425 lbs
    Hang Clean - 270 lbs

29a is not very well liked. (-100) 29a is not very well liked. (-100) 29a is not very well liked. (-100) 29a is not very well liked. (-100) 29a is not very well liked. (-100) 29a is not very well liked. (-100) 29a is not very well liked. (-100) 29a is not very well liked. (-100) 29a is not very well liked. (-100) 29a is not very well liked. (-100) 29a is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by LuckSide View Post
    If you are only able to do 1 rep at 25 kg it sounds like even 22.5 kg might be too heavy for you. How many reps are you doing of 22.5? When in your workout is this?
    I only use 12 k lol y are u complaining 22kilo dumbbell curls are strong lol

LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 29a View Post
    I only use 12 k lol y are u complaining 22kilo dumbbell curls are strong lol
    We all start somewhere. I started at 25 lb hammer curls and now am up to 70 lb ones. But if your body isn't ready to jump up to the next weight, it'll let you know. So if he is only able to do 1 rep at the next weight up, chances are he is probably only able to do between 4 to 6 with good form of the previous weight, in which case he shouldn't be moving up yet.
    College Football Training Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152135513

Maxs:
    Barbell Bench Press - 295 lbs
    Squat - 455 lbs
    Deadlift - 425 lbs
    Hang Clean - 270 lbs

HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How are you doing on your big lifts like squat and deadlift?