MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs down Cybex vs Body Solid Squat Press Machine

I'd like to pick up a squat press machine for the home gym. I've used the older version of the Cybex and really liked how it felt.

The Body Solid LVLP is less expensive and seems to offer more features like plate storage and seat adjustment. Only thing is I've never used the Body Solid and doesn't have quite the name Cybex does.

Anyone have experience with both?

Thanks

Sorry, can't post links yet... Just remove the space after the http and the www for the link.

The Cybex
    http ://www .cybexintl.com/plate-loaded-squat-press.aspx#
    The Body Solid
    http ://www .bodysolid.com/Commercial/LVLP/Leverage_Horizontal_Leg_Press

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The body solid is more of a horizontal leg press and the weight horns look shorter which could really be a problem because you'd need to use more weight with it having a much more horizontal design. The weight storage on the body solid looks pretty minimal to me, and it also looks like it has a larger footprint.

I've never used the body solid machine but I do own a cybex squat press and love it. I got it for $900 in really good shape on craigslist. If you're ok with a used one I'm guessing it'd be easier to find, but IMO even without trying out the body solid I'd still pay the extra grand for the cybex if I was buying one brand new.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #30 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #7 []---[]

Home gym pics:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1192814061&viewfull=1#post1192814061
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1198875921&viewfull=1#post1198875921
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1202033661&viewfull=1#post1202033661

MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MEDPILOT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Darkfact: thanks for the input. I agree, the weight horns on the BS do look minimal. I can press 1000lbs on a standard 45° leg press, so I'm wondering if I'd be maxing the BS out. I've emailed BS the same question and I'm waiting for a response.

Even though the BS is more horizontal over the Cybex, to me the mechanics look to be the same in that the weight is being lifted vertical. I'm assuming that will make the resistance between the two machines somewhat equal given the same amount of is being used. I could be wrong.

Still, I'm leaning towards the Cybex because I know I'll like it. I'm just waiting for someone to chime in with something positive to say about the BS. It's surprising how little info I can find on the Body Solid with a google search.

Incase anyone's interested.

I got a response back from Body Solid. Their press supports up to 1000lbs and the weight horns are 11" long. Seems like you'd need some really thin weights in order to get 500lbs per horn.

I just placed an order for the Cybex.. should get to my house next Friday. I won't see it until March when I get back to the States from my deployment

Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by darkfact View Post
    The body solid is more of a horizontal leg press and the weight horns look shorter which could really be a problem because you'd need to use more weight with it having a much more horizontal design. The weight storage on the body solid looks pretty minimal to me, and it also looks like it has a larger footprint.

I've never used the body solid machine but I do own a cybex squat press and love it. I got it for $900 in really good shape on craigslist. If you're ok with a used one I'm guessing it'd be easier to find, but IMO even without trying out the body solid I'd still pay the extra grand for the cybex if I was buying one brand new.
    Darkfact,

I picked up a Cybex Squat Press for $650 and like you I am a big fan. It is my wife's favorite machine. She particularly likes the pivot action as it puts less stress on her lower back than most leg presses.

Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MEDPILOT View Post
    Incase anyone's interested.

I got a response back from Body Solid. Their press supports up to 1000lbs and the weight horns are 11" long. Seems like you'd need some really thin weights in order to get 500lbs per horn.

I just placed an order for the Cybex.. should get to my house next Friday. I won't see it until March when I get back to the States from my deployment
    Nice pickup. Can't really go wrong on that piece. Appears you are coming along with your gym.

Originally Posted by Skyaura View Post
    Darkfact,

I picked up a Cybex Squat Press for $650 and like you I am a big fan. It is my wife's favorite machine. She particularly likes the pivot action as it puts less stress on her lower back than most leg presses.
    LOL, it kills me to read what kind of deals you guys are getting. I practically live on craigslist and the deals are very few and far between here in Phoenix. It also doesn't help that I'm super picky.

LOL, it kills me to read what kind of deals you guys are getting. I practically live on craigslist and the deals are very few and far between here in Phoenix. It also doesn't help that I'm super picky.
    I went through 26 Fitness to get mine (company that refurbishes gym equipment). Did you go through Cybex to get your Squat Press?

I went through 26 Fitness to get mine (company that refurbishes gym equipment). Did you go through Cybex to get your Squat Press?
    Got mine at buyandsellfitness . com

I guess it was an unused floor model. $2500 shipped. I don't mind paying a few extra $$$ for unused.

rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hands down the Cybex will be much better than the bodysolid unit. I always loved the Cybex unit at my former gym. I know there are other units that are superior, but it's a solid choice.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #4 []---[]
    []---[] Rogue Barbell Club #9 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #76 []---[]

Originally Posted by rpark View Post
    Hands down the Cybex will be much better than the bodysolid unit. I always loved the Cybex unit at my former gym. I know there are other units that are superior, but it's a solid choice.
    Thanks for the input

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I live in MN but actually bought mine from a dude in phoenix oddly enough. I talked to him a bunch and made him take several new pictures of the unit just to be a little more sure that I'm not getting scammed, although it's obviously a risk to buy something without seeing it first I used my best judgement call and it worked out. I used that uship site for shipping and had someone pick it up and deliver it to me for about $200-300 if I remember right. It worked out really well.

The only drawback of the pivot press is that I find it's really uncomfortable and basically unusable to me for calf work. I enjoy doing calf raises with regular linear rail leg presses so I was kinda bummed about that, but for a leg press it's awesome and totally worth the money in the end.

Home gym pics:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1192814061&viewfull=1#post1192814061
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1198875921&viewfull=1#post1198875921
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1202033661&viewfull=1#post1202033661

I live in MN but actually bought mine from a dude in phoenix oddly enough. I talked to him a bunch and made him take several new pictures of the unit just to be a little more sure that I'm not getting scammed, although it's obviously a risk to buy something without seeing it first I used my best judgement call and it worked out. I used that uship site for shipping and had someone pick it up and deliver it to me for about $200-300 if I remember right. It worked out really well.

The only drawback of the pivot press is that I find it's really uncomfortable and basically unusable to me for calf work. I enjoy doing calf raises with regular linear rail leg presses so I was kinda bummed about that, but for a leg press it's awesome and totally worth the money in the end.
    I know what ur saying about doing calf work on this machine. It just doesn't work. My favorite machine for calf work is still a 45° leg press. That's why I'm still looking for one. I'm leaning towards the Cybex 45° leg press, but I'm not married to it. The whole reason I'm getting the squat press is because of the one time that I used it at my local gym, I was sore in places I haven't been in a while. It just feels different than a standard 45° linear press.

I've never heard of Uship, I'll have to look that up.

I know what ur saying about doing calf work on this machine. It just doesn't work. My favorite machine for calf work is still a 45° leg press. That's why I'm still looking for one. I'm leaning towards the Cybex 45° leg press, but I'm not married to it. The whole reason I'm getting the squat press is because of the one time that I used it at my local gym, I was sore in places I haven't been in a while. It just feels different than a standard 45° linear press.

I've never heard of Uship, I'll have to look that up.
    I prefer the hammer strength leg press over the cybex when it comes to the larger more popular commercial brands anyways.

I've still never used one but I've been dreaming of owning a nebula leg press for years. I found one a couple years ago locally but the house I owned then only had a 29" opening to get stuff into the gym room.

Home gym pics:

I prefer the hammer strength leg press over the cybex when it comes to the larger more popular commercial brands anyways.

I've still never used one but I've been dreaming of owning a nebula leg press for years. I found one a couple years ago locally but the house I owned then only had a 29" opening to get stuff into the gym room.
    I always forget to think about how wide my front door is when looking for equipment lol. I've only used the older version of the Cybex, but from what I remember It felt ok. Although the Hammer Strength and Nebula have some of the best reps in the industry I had to take them off my list. The HS looks like doing calf work would be restrictive. There looks to be a guide rod in the center just under the foot plate. If we're thinking of the same model, the Nebula has a 35º angle. Never understood why manufactures would make a 35º press. This decreases the resistance from 70% of the loaded weight to 57%. I'm already loading up 600-800lbs on a 45º press to get a workout in.

I always forget to think about how wide my front door is when looking for equipment lol. I've only used the older version of the Cybex, but from what I remember It felt ok. Although the Hammer Strength and Nebula have some of the best reps in the industry I had to take them off my list. The HS looks like doing calf work would be restrictive. There looks to be a guide rod in the center just under the foot plate. If we're thinking of the same model, the Nebula has a 35º angle. Never understood why manufactures would make a 35º press. This decreases the resistance from 70% of the loaded weight to 57%. I'm already loading up 600-800lbs on a 45º press to get a workout in.
    Nebula makes a 35 degree and a 40 or 45, can't remember which, it's still my favorite whatever it is, too bad I've never used it though lol.

This is the hammer strength linear leg press I like http://www.lifefitness.com/commercia...rlegpress.html

It does have a safety stop adjustment handle in the middle but it's skinny and in no way restricts calf work for me, I have one at the gym I'm using right now and I use it every week for calves and really like it. Unless you like to put your feet right next to eachother you wouldn't have an issue.

Home gym pics:

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The only drawback of the pivot press is that I find it's really uncomfortable and basically unusable to me for calf work.
    I know what ur saying about doing calf work on this machine. It just doesn't work.
    Ugh! I was very tempted by the Cybex or something like it until I heard this. I have a 45 degree now, but a linear bearing died, and I didn't much like it anyway, so I'm thinking of replacing it instead of repairing it, maybe even getting something custom-built.

I'm not sure if there's any way to describe this, but in what way does it not work and feel uncomfortable? Does it just not move properly? You just don't feel it in your calves like you should? Something else gets sore first? Something else is in an awkward position? Or is "it just sucks; don't even think about it" the whole of it? If that's true of this whole style of machine, and not just the Cybex, I'll probably want to stay away.

Looking at the design, it seems like the problem would be that there's too much downward motion of the plate compared to forward motion when you have your legs out for calf raises. It seems like the best path of motion for leg presses (similar to the arc of your upper leg), but maybe not so good for calf raises.

So even more off topic, have you used any pendulum-style leg presses? How are they for calf raises? It seems like they wouldn't have the downward motion problem, and would be more like a linear leg press for calf raises. Oh, and I suppose I should at least ask if you liked that style of leg press, if you've done them, since that's the primary purpose of the machine.

I let an amazing-looking custom-built pendulum-style leg press on Craigslist come and go, thinking I'd find better and/or cheaper, and now I'm kind of kicking myself, though even now I'm not SURE it would have been what I wanted.

Originally Posted by Maluket View Post
    Ugh! I was very tempted by the Cybex or something like it until I heard this. I have a 45 degree now, but a linear bearing died, and I didn't much like it anyway, so I'm thinking of replacing it instead of repairing it, maybe even getting something custom-built.

I'm not sure if there's any way to describe this, but in what way does it not work and feel uncomfortable? Does it just not move properly? You just don't feel it in your calves like you should? Something else gets sore first? Something else is in an awkward position? Or is "it just sucks; don't even think about it" the whole of it? If that's true of this whole style of machine, and not just the Cybex, I'll probably want to stay away.

Looking at the design, it seems like the problem would be that there's too much downward motion of the plate compared to forward motion when you have your legs out for calf raises. It seems like the best path of motion for leg presses (similar to the arc of your upper leg), but maybe not so good for calf raises.

So even more off topic, have you used any pendulum-style leg presses? How are they for calf raises? It seems like they wouldn't have the downward motion problem, and would be more like a linear leg press for calf raises. Oh, and I suppose I should at least ask if you liked that style of leg press, if you've done them, since that's the primary purpose of the machine.

I let an amazing-looking custom-built pendulum-style leg press on Craigslist come and go, thinking I'd find better and/or cheaper, and now I'm kind of kicking myself, though even now I'm not SURE it would have been what I wanted.
    Maluket,

It is the design of the machine and pivot movement pattern that does not lend itself to calf raises. It can be done, but it is awkward and not nearly as effective as with a linear press.

Maluket,

It is the design of the machine and pivot movement pattern that does not lend itself to calf raises. It can be done, but it is awkward and not nearly as effective as with a linear press.
    Yep this is true. It's basically that there's no where for your feet to hang off the bottom without hitting the 'arm' of the machine, unless you put your feet like on the very outside on each side of the foot plate but that sucks and is awkward and a weird position for your knees too probably. It really just doesn't work at all for calf work for me at least.

Home gym pics:

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Maluket, It is the design of the machine and pivot movement pattern that does not lend itself to calf raises. It can be done, but it is awkward and not nearly as effective as with a linear press.
    Yep this is true. It's basically that there's no where for your feet to hang off the bottom without hitting the 'arm' of the machine, unless you put your feet like on the very outside on each side of the foot plate but that sucks and is awkward and a weird position for your knees too probably. It really just doesn't work at all for calf work for me at least.
    Ah, gotcha. Thank you so much for explaining. I can totally see what you're saying now that I'm paying attention while watching videos. The piece below the foot plate looks like it comes up to just beneath the foot plate. Well, within a few inches, but not enough clearance to do calf raises.

Looks like it might work on the Body Solid, which just has a thin arm in the middle near the foot plate, but there IS another bit that looks like it could come up pretty high. The Atlantis Pivot Press seems to have the same sort of problem. The Nautilus XPload, on the other hand, looks like it has plenty of clearance due to a somewhat different mechanism. But I don't remember reading any reviews of that one. Looks good to me, but how it looks and how it feels are two different things. It also doesn't look like the weight is progressive, but it's hard to know.

Hmmm.

Nebula makes a 35 degree and a 40 or 45, can't remember which, it's still my favorite whatever it is, too bad I've never used it though lol.

This is the hammer strength linear leg press I like http://www.lifefitness.com/commercia...rlegpress.html

It does have a safety stop adjustment handle in the middle but it's skinny and in no way restricts calf work for me, I have one at the gym I'm using right now and I use it every week for calves and really like it. Unless you like to put your feet right next to eachother you wouldn't have an issue.
    Hmm, I couldn't find the 45° leg press on the Nebula website. Oh, that's a safety stop on the HS. I kinda wondered what that was for. Since we're taking leg presses.... Pro fitness makes a decent looking 45° leg press. Its on the top of my list for leg presses right now. The thing I like most about it is the small footprint (my home gym is only 16'x22'). It's only 40" wide because you load the weights on top, not on the sides. And it's only $2000 (new) compared to a $4000 Cybex. Not sure what they charge for shipping though.
    Here's the link. http://www.pro-fitness.com/angled_leg_press_center.htm

Maluket,

Skyaura, you beat me to it. But yeah, what he said ^^^.