Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    youngVet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

raw oats in protein shake?

I was wondering if it is ok to put quaker oats(uncooked) in my protein shakes. Will this ultimately be the same as if i cooked the oats ate them and had the protein shake separately (in the same meal).
    Will my body properly digest the oats uncooked like this??

SkullKrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: raw oats in protein shake?

Originally posted by youngVet
    I was wondering if it is ok to put quaker oats(uncooked) in my protein shakes. Will this ultimately be the same as if i cooked the oats ate them and had the protein shake separately (in the same meal).
    Will my body properly digest the oats uncooked like this??
    that's exactly what I do, raw oats, works great. Just may sure you don't put them in your post workout shake.
    "If God were suddenly condemned to live the life which he has inflicted on men, he would kill himself" - Alexander Dumas

BODYBUILDER / WARRIOR The Conqueror's Avatar
    The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    He took the words right out of my mouth!
    Before you achieve victory in the war without. . .you must first master the warrior within. . . (The Conqueror)

The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war (Asian Proverb)

SkullKrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by The Conqueror
    He took the words right out of my mouth!
    I hope it didn't hurt too bad
    "If God were suddenly condemned to live the life which he has inflicted on men, he would kill himself" - Alexander Dumas

Aspiring Polymath GhostfaceKillah's Avatar
    GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Sometimes the oats get caught in the agitator of my shaker. Aside from that pissing me off, it makes a fantastic combo.
    Creeping while you're sleeping.

"Like short sleeves, I bare arms." ~ Jay-Z

"Smile all up in your face then I break your chin." ~ P. (Mobb Deep)

youngVet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks,
    i will start doing this cause i hate dealing with cooking it to make oatmeal.
    for breakfast i am having

2 egg whites, 1 whole egg
    1 bowl of fiborous cereal
    1 banana
    1 scoop whey ( I Will add in 1/2 cup oats )

and prob have another half cup somewhere else in the day

1)What type of oats do u use? Woukld quaker be ok assuming it is not instant?

2)How much do you have in the day? How much do you typically add to your protein shake?

Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    1)What type of oats do u use? Woukld quaker be ok assuming it is not instant?
    Quaker old fashioned is ok but it’s over $2 a pound. I pay $0.49 a pound for the same thing at the heath food store.
    It's better to be cynical than naive.

j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i also use rolled oats in my shake...but i mill them first

nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000)
    try steel-cut oats.
    Nutrabolics Advanced Sports Innovations
    www.nutrabolics.com
    1-800-568-8781
    1-888-828-5665

microspawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Steel cut oats. A little hard to drink don't you think.

nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000) nutrabolics is just really nice. (+1000)
    It is...but ya do what ya have to do...i dont mind it...
    Nutrabolics Advanced Sports Innovations
    www.nutrabolics.com
    1-800-568-8781
    1-888-828-5665

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I saw my leanest gains ever while adding about 1 cup of raw oats into every protein shake I had.

No BS, I saw some amazing gains while doing this.
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

Judo Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judo Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judo Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judo Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judo Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judo Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i have only heard great things about doing this and it makes perfect sense but i have a question?

what is the taste/consistency like?

what flavors of protein powder work well with this?

thanks

Aspiring Polymath GhostfaceKillah's Avatar
    GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GhostfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I like it best with vanilla protein, although I like chocolate protein by itself better. I tend to make my shake thicker when I add oats and then eat it with a spoon. It is actually pretty good, but some people might rag on you for being weird. Just crush them.
    Creeping while you're sleeping.

"Like short sleeves, I bare arms." ~ Jay-Z

"Smile all up in your face then I break your chin." ~ P. (Mobb Deep)

radial has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do it the other way around, I do it for my cereal and use the protein shake as the milk in my oats and oat bran and it ****in ROCKS!

The ABSOLUTE KING of taste for this is

DYMATIZE Supreme Whey Protein Butter Toffee flavour.

It totally kicks ass in the flavour department and @ 31g of protein per scoop its a fair whack of protein if you do 2 scoops.

Do it with water rather than Skim Milk if you wanna get them cuts then shove it in the freezer with a metal spoon in the bowl for 5 minutes (sppon makes it cool down faster) and its the most perfect POST WO meal.

jopache1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jopache1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hhmmm... would it really hurt to use it postworkout... ive been using dextrose.. but its hella sweet and ruins the taste, today i tried it with just the creatine, protein, and water and it actually tastes allright..... would oatmeal be a decent alternative for me in my postworkout shake?

CPizzle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CPizzle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CPizzle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CPizzle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CPizzle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CPizzle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CPizzle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CPizzle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CPizzle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CPizzle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CPizzle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by GhostfaceKillah
    I like it best with vanilla protein, although I like chocolate protein by itself better. I tend to make my shake thicker when I add oats and then eat it with a spoon. It is actually pretty good, but some people might rag on you for being weird. Just crush them.
    LOL, i do the same thing! When people look at me funny, I just flex
    CPizzle

SIMES has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by jopache1
    hhmmm... would it really hurt to use it postworkout... ive been using dextrose.. but its hella sweet and ruins the taste, today i tried it with just the creatine, protein, and water and it actually tastes allright..... would oatmeal be a decent alternative for me in my postworkout shake?
    Hi

No is the short answer. Oatmeal , based on all the real world studies on postworkout nutrition would be a poor carb source to achieve what a postworkout shake is there to achieve. It has a very low GI rating, and post workout is the only time your not looking for a low Gi rated carb source.

The best solution if you can afford it is probably something like Biotest Surge, it consists of , in the correct ratios a very high GI like dextrose and a reasonably hi GI rated maltodextrin combination. Also adding low molecular weight ,fast actiing proteins to the mix, BCAA, and Glutamine.

However, I think it's grossly overpriced so I personally choose to use Dorian Yates pro recover which is a similar product albeit not quite as well formulated but less than half the cost.

As far as home made post workout nutrition goes , you can buy malto and dextrose for cents per lb, throw in some glutamine , some creatine and the right amount of isolate for your bodyweight and you have a great post workout shake.

Adding oatmeal which has a very low GI rating as your primary carb source would defeat the object of a post workout shake and certainly not benefit you to the same degree.

Now taken 1 hour after your immediate post workout shake, well that's a different matter and could be highly beneficial but as your primary carb source, for the immediate post workout nutrition IMO, oatmeal is a one of the worst choices.

Although not as bad as some weird suggestions I've read on this board which include vegetables and peanut butter in the post workout shakes.

Hope that helps

SIMES
    www.**********.com

Edit by RU: Sorry SIMES, but this is against the rules.
    Last edited by RippedUp; 07-30-2003 at 03:32 AM.
    www.brinkzone.com
    Articles, Q&A, etc

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink.htm

Will Brink Mini-site @ Bodybuilding.com

Originally posted by SIMES
    Hi

No is the short answer. Oatmeal , based on all the real world studies on postworkout nutrition would be a poor carb source to achieve what a postworkout shake is there to achieve. It has a very low GI rating, and post workout is the only time your not looking for a low Gi rated carb source.

The best solution if you can afford it is probably something like Biotest Surge, it consists of , in the correct ratios a very high GI like dextrose and a reasonably hi GI rated maltodextrin combination. Also adding low molecular weight ,fast actiing proteins to the mix, BCAA, and Glutamine.

However, I think it's grossly overpriced so I personally choose to use Dorian Yates pro recover which is a similar product albeit not quite as well formulated but less than half the cost.

As far as home made post workout nutrition goes , you can buy malto and dextrose for cents per lb, throw in some glutamine , some creatine and the right amount of isolate for your bodyweight and you have a great post workout shake.

Adding oatmeal which has a very low GI rating as your primary carb source would defeat the object of a post workout shake and certainly not benefit you to the same degree.

Now taken 1 hour after your immediate post workout shake, well that's a different matter and could be highly beneficial but as your primary carb source, for the immediate post workout nutrition IMO, oatmeal is a one of the worst choices.

Although not as bad as some weird suggestions I've read on this board which include vegetables and peanut butter in the post workout shakes.

Hope that helps

SIMES
    www.**********.com

Edit by RU: Sorry SIMES, but this is against the rules.
    Ok, Thanks, no problem at all. My bad. I will make sure no more URL's in posts.

Are you allowed to link to anything? Articles etc? Is it just limited to commercial sites? I checked the FAQ but there's doesn't seem to be anything specific in there relating to the issue?

I moderate a forum so understand your concerns, we have similar rules but only blank out when the post is clearly an attempt to hawk a supplement etc.
    Last edited by SIMES; 07-30-2003 at 03:39 AM.
    www.brinkzone.com
    Articles, Q&A, etc

RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    SIMES,

This link is an advert for a bbing program, with prices and all.

It is not very ethical to use this free website in order to make profit out of that program whoever owns.

If it were a link for nutrition/supplement/training article, then that would have been fine.

And please, edit your signature.

Thanks for understanding.
    "Strive for perfection,
    Nothing less"

Jed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by SIMES
    [B]Hi

"No is the short answer. Oatmeal , based on all the real world studies on postworkout nutrition would be a poor carb source to achieve what a postworkout shake is there to achieve. It has a very low GI rating, and post workout is the only time your not looking for a low Gi rated carb source."

Simes, try switching from dextrose to Raw oatmeal using the same amount of carbs for just 2 weeks Post workout, and I think you will be suprised on how little differance there is from the high / low gi . I know its been beat into everyone's head that it is so important for it to be high GI, but just give a try.

Originally posted by RippedUp
    SIMES,

This link is an advert for a bbing program, with prices and all.

It is not very ethical to use this free website in order to make profit out of that program whoever owns.

If it were a link for nutrition/supplement/training article, then that would have been fine.

And please, edit your signature.

Thanks for understanding.
    Ok, I have edited my sig, but I really don't think this is an issue of ethics, I seem to see numerous sig files for people linking to sites that sell products, links to supplement sites, etc, but at the end of the day it's your forum so abide by the rules, I shall.

I've changed the sig link to a plain information page.

Regards

SIMES
    Last edited by SIMES; 07-30-2003 at 06:25 AM.
    www.brinkzone.com
    Articles, Q&A, etc

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jed
    [B]
    Originally posted by SIMES
    Hi

"No is the short answer. Oatmeal , based on all the real world studies on postworkout nutrition would be a poor carb source to achieve what a postworkout shake is there to achieve. It has a very low GI rating, and post workout is the only time your not looking for a low Gi rated carb source."

Simes, try switching from dextrose to Raw oatmeal using the same amount of carbs for just 2 weeks Post workout, and I think you will be suprised on how little differance there is from the high / low gi . I know its been beat into everyone's head that it is so important for it to be high GI, but just give a try.
    Thanks Jed

I personally seem to respond better to an immediate high GI based shake, I switched to that from medium GI concoction about 2 yrs ago and never looked back.

I do howeve advocate around 1 hour after training then supplementing with a low - medium carb sources such as MRP with added oatmeal which I think is beneficial, but immediately post workout it's sugar all the way for me.

SIMES
    www.brinkzone.com
    Articles, Q&A, etc

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally posted by Judo Tom
    i have only heard great things about doing this and it makes perfect sense but i have a question?

thanks
    Mix it with one of the thin proteins like Optimum or EAS.

I mix/blend it with chocolate flavor Optimum... I mean it doesn't taste GREAT, but I just chase it with water. 1 Cup per shake might be overkill... I dunno... but the results were worth it.
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

Mudlark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Quick oats are the same as old-fashioned oats, just cut smaller. You could use those in shakes, they would probably mix better.

[Instant oatmeal is different, usually flavored. Quick oats are the 2-min cooking variety (as opposed to 5-min for old fashioned) and are still 100% oats.]

BTW, thanks for the tip on getting oats at a health food store for a lot less than in cannisters at the grocery store, whichever one of you that was....
    Mud.

"This is this". --DeNiro.

jopache1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jopache1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well.. i use dextrose and its hard for me to down the shake. its hella sweet and it makes it nasty.. like i said.. yesterday was the first time i didnt use dextrose... and it was the first time the shake actually tasted allright to me...so.. im thinking of takin in my creatine first in some koolaid/dextrose... and then my protein shake seperately... it would fill me up hella fast but that way they both might actually taste allright.. thats why i was asking about oatmeal.... because there wouldnt be as much of a flavor difference as with dextrose

Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by Judo Tom

thanks
    Grind two servings of oats in a coffee grinder, add 2 scoops of Optimum Pro Blend 55 (Chocolate), add two tablespoons flax, add 24 ounces milk, shake well.

That is a ton of quality calories (if cutting, switch the milk with water). I drink at least one a day. I absolutely love the taste. I swear if they sold it at Dairy Queen people would drink it because it tastes so good (and not even realize they are getting 80 grams of protein, quite a bit of fiber and 24 grams of EFAs.
    A winner is someone who recognizes his God given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals. - Larry Bird

Jed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like to mix a cup of quaker rolled oats in myoplex low carb , they are thick and keep the oats suspended , it taste awesome too. If you blend it up in just like plain whey it seems to sink to the bottom.

ThemoLife Alter Ego SupaNatural's Avatar
    SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by jopache1
    No, it wouldn't hurt. Whey has been shown to potentiate a significant insulin response, and when combined with carbs should initiate a sufficient insulin response without overshooting as can happen with dextrose, since not all muscle glycogen in depleted after a weight workout. That is, unless you do six hour marathon sessions.

I along with a few others that are on or were once members of this board have done just this and have seen the leanest gains ever. Dio, RippedUp, JWeave and John Benz come to mind as a few examples.

ok... but i remember reading somewhere that dextrose is awesome for restoring muscle glycogen as compared to fructose which would restore liver glycogen... what about oatmeal.... which does it really help in restoring?? also... i know it would slow down absorption of the protein and of the creatine.... but would it do it to a significant amount???? maybe ill just use a little of both in each shake from now on.. i am talking post workout btw.