Requiescat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Requiescat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Requiescat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Home Gym - Bench with Catchers?

Hi,
    I'm currently on the lookout for a bench, with a rack for a barbell, plus spotter catchers. Nothing too fancy, and with an emphasis on low weight. I have found three which interest me, but each have certain drawbacks.

Firstly I came across the Bodymax CF450. This is exactly the type of equipment I am looking for, but, as of yet, I cannot find info on how heavy it is. That may be an issue as I have to locate my equipment in my room upstairs.

Next I found a thread on another forum discussing the Rogue R3 Power Rack. An excellent choice in terms of saving space, but again, I think this is probably going to be too heavy.

Lastly, the Powertec Half Rack. I believe this weighs something in the region of 65kg. Would this be too much for an upstairs bedroom? It certainly looks very interesting.

That's what I have so far. I'm not finding much with the spotters, and a lot of the equipment I am finding is on the heavy side, which is understandable. Is there anything else out there that would be more appropriate? Or is any of the above, in your opinion, okay to have in my room? I'm very paranoid about coming through the ceiling, lol. Also, I don't want to be doing anything like dead-lifts or squats if that helps.

Regards

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Based on the fact that you are discussing things in kg rather than lbs I'm assuming you are not in the US. However, if we assume construction in your country is similar to the US, a 2nd floor should be able to accommodate a 2000lb water bed. Your bench or rack will probably weigh much less, but will have fewer points of contact with the floor and therefore produce a larger load per square inch. You can lessen the load per square inch by putting the bench or rack on a piece of plywood to spread the load over a larger area (similar to the waterbed).
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

qwan456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) qwan456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) qwan456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) qwan456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) qwan456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) qwan456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) qwan456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) qwan456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) qwan456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) qwan456 will become famous soon enough. (+50) qwan456 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Assuming that you aren't going to be drilling holes onto your floors, you would need to bolt the Rogue R3 down to a platform - which will allow the weight to be more distributed across the floors. Quite honestly, if you are worry about the weight of the equipment going through your ceiling, I would be more worry about squating / deadlifting. Because you are very well putting up to 400lb+ of weight at the spot where you are standing, and even then I wouldn't worry.

Other options you could look at which is also weighs less than the R3, check out the Rogue S2 with spotter arms.

Edit: check this thread out: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post746733523
    That's all on a newly build 2-story garage, where the equipments is on the second floor.
    Last edited by qwan456; 01-26-2013 at 07:07 PM.

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Requiescat View Post
    Hi,
    I'm currently on the lookout for a bench, with a rack for a barbell, plus spotter catchers. Nothing too fancy, and with an emphasis on low weight. I have found three which interest me, but each have certain drawbacks.

Firstly I came across the Bodymax CF450. This is exactly the type of equipment I am looking for, but, as of yet, I cannot find info on how heavy it is. That may be an issue as I have to locate my equipment in my room upstairs.

Next I found a thread on another forum discussing the Rogue R3 Power Rack. An excellent choice in terms of saving space, but again, I think this is probably going to be too heavy.

Lastly, the Powertec Half Rack. I believe this weighs something in the region of 65kg. Would this be too much for an upstairs bedroom? It certainly looks very interesting.

That's what I have so far. I'm not finding much with the spotters, and a lot of the equipment I am finding is on the heavy side, which is understandable. Is there anything else out there that would be more appropriate? Or is any of the above, in your opinion, okay to have in my room? I'm very paranoid about coming through the ceiling, lol. Also, I don't want to be doing anything like dead-lifts or squats if that helps.

Regards
    For an upstairs room I would go with the powertec half rack. If it was a garage if would be rogue.

I have a powertec full rack in the garage. I wouldn't even dream of putting that in my upstairs bedroom.

The floor could more than likely take the weight.
    English floors are made to take approximately 150kg per metre square.

The most I would have in an upstairs room would be a bench and half rack and some dumbells.

Each to their own though. Just trying to help.

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by iportal View Post
    English floors are made to take approximately 150kg per metre square.

Are you sure about this? I would think 4 people my size (95kgs x 4 = 380kgs) could stand in a square meter and that would be more than the floor was designed to withstand?

186lbs in Avatar

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    Are you sure about this? I would think 4 people my size (95kgs x 4 = 380kgs) could stand in a square meter and that would be more than the floor was designed to withstand?
    That's the info I found when I was researching it for home.

That's averaged out across the house, so you could put say 400kg in one corner of the room, but averaged out that's what they're designed to carry.

It's unlikely to have 40people standing upstairs in a room that's 7 x 7 feet.

I'm not a Structural Engineer, but that's the info I have found.

This is where I found the info ... http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=233956

That's design load for static loading I imagine? That weight would not take into account safety factor which I imagine would be 2.0 to take into account dynamic loading...

I've just had a look on the net and apparently the American regs state that they're designed to take 40 pounds per square foot in living rooms and 30 pounds per square foot in bedrooms.

Anyway I would feel better about having 500kg of weight or so on a first floor concrete floor, opposed to a bedroom.

That's the info I found when I was researching it for home.

That's averaged out across the house, so you could put say 400kg in one corner of the room, but averaged out that's what they're designed to carry.

It's unlikely to have 40people standing upstairs in a room that's 7 x 7 feet.

I'm not a Structural Engineer, but that's the info I have found.

This is where I found the info ... http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=233956

I just read something similar regarding US floors and they were using 40lbs per square foot which is very similar to what you quoted for English floors. As you stated it is an average, and according to the source I was reading it is a minimum average. Which if I understand correctly is not a true average but more of a calculation based on the weakest room in the house (generally the one with the longest joist spans). Even then it sounds like this average has a safety factor that may very well mean that the room could take twice the load stated.

186lbs in Avatar

I just read something similar regarding US floors and they were using 40lbs per square foot which is very similar to what you quoted for English floors. As you stated it is an average, and according to the source I was reading it is a minimum average. Which if I understand correctly is not a true average but more of a calculation based on the weakest room in the house (generally the one with the longest joist spans). Even then it sounds like this average has a safety factor that may very well mean that the room could take twice the load stated.
    I completely agree, It's a minimum specification I imagine.

I believe older properties used to have floors made from 8" x 2" floor joists and now they're 10" x 2" or 12" x 2"?

I've been into some top floor flats, 'apartments in America', and they seem to flex slightly with just body weight.

I would hate to be deadlifting up there.

A weight bench would be fine with an average person 60-80kg benching their bodyweight.

I guess I'm not as worried about the weight on a suspended floor since I had close to 5000lbs in one of the larger rooms in my last house. Granted, it wasn't all in one place and was strategically placed near the strongest areas.

I should also say that it was not a second floor room but a suspended first floor room with a walk in crawl space. The crawl space allowed me to see exactly what I was dealing with as far as unsupported spans. I was also able to monitor it for any sag.

I definitely would not recommend that someone put 5000lbs in an upstairs room.

186lbs in Avatar

I've been into some top floor flats, 'apartments in America', and they seem to flex slightly with just body weight.

I would hate to be deadlifting up there.
    I've been in some older US houses where the first floor was like that, and I agree totally.

I guess I've been lucky in that every house I've lived in since the age of 14 was new construction when I moved into it. So I've always dealt with some pretty solid floors.

186lbs in Avatar

I've been in some older US houses where the first floor was like that, and I agree totally.

I guess I've been lucky in that every house I've lived in since the age of 14 was new construction when I moved into it. So I've always dealt with some pretty solid floors.
    It was almost scary the amount of flex walking over the floor.

New builds are a lot better is some respects like flooring, insulation, cheap to run.

In the UK they're so tiny in comparison to older properties, and aren't built as well.

Most new builds in the UK are timber frame with block / brick construction outside.

Older properties were block / block/brick.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Powertec half rack spotter arms aren't very useful for squats. Bodymax looks very light but the steel looks so thin, it should break before your floor.

Rogue 2x3 half rack doesn't weigh much more than powertec. It's around 80kg. An extra 20 kg shouldn't make a difference. R-3 is 90kg.

What kind of floor is it? What is it supported by? How old is this house? Those are more important considerations than 60 or 100 kg rack. Older properties may not be built to 40 lb per square foot standard. There are 400 kg racks out there but they're obviously huge with 4x3 7 gauge steel.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    What kind of floor is it? What is it supported by? How old is this house?
    I agree, these are the more important questions!

186lbs in Avatar

Requiescat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Requiescat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Requiescat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    Powertec half rack spotter arms aren't very useful for squats. Bodymax looks very light but the steel looks so thin, it should break before your floor.

Rogue 2x3 half rack doesn't weigh much more than powertec. It's around 80kg. An extra 20 kg shouldn't make a difference. R-3 is 90kg.

What kind of floor is it? What is it supported by? How old is this house? Those are more important considerations than 60 or 100 kg rack. Older properties may not be built to 40 lb per square foot standard. There are 400 kg racks out there but they're obviously huge with 4x3 7 gauge steel.
    Well, the house was built in the late 70s; the flooring is wood. As far as I am aware, it's supported by wooden beams. Not very reassuring upon reflection.

Originally Posted by Requiescat View Post
    Well, the house was built in the late 70s; the flooring is wood. As far as I am aware, it's supported by wooden beams. Not very reassuring upon reflection.
    I would assume 25 pounds per square foot to be safe.

Say your work out room is 8 feet a 8 feet. You can assume that the MAXIMUM static loading you can have for the room is 1600 pounds.

That is if the gym kit is spread using 18mm Plywood with ideally horse stall mats on top.

If the Powertec half rack is around 150 pounds that leaves 1450 pounds, less you, (assumed 200 pounds) 1250 pounds.

Add a bar, weights, that leaves 800 pounds.

Bear in mind I would divide any static loading by 3 do have a rough dynamic capability (to allow for weights dropping very slightly, I'm not talking over head here, I'm talking a couple of inches controlled).

1600 pounds /3 = 530 pounds approximately.

That allows you to have a weight set, you and a half rack.

Having a larger work out area would allow more weight.

Like I said earlier, I'm not a structural Engineer so that's my opinion only...