Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sets/Reps

Metriccar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Sets/Reps

I have a few questions.

When I go to the gym, I have a handful of workouts I want to do. I have lowered my rep count and set count, to like 3 sets of 12 or so, using heavier weights. By the time I am done with the 3rd set, I can hardly lift it, so I go on to the next machine. But if I go back to the same machine say 25-30 minutes later, I could do another 3 sets or so. Is this right? Am I supposed to do it that way or should I only be doing the original 3 sets? How long do you guys spend each time you do weight training? I'm at about 1 hour, 3-5 times a week. I read some people only go 3 times a week. I'm trying to do this as quickly as possible (lose fat, build muscle).

EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What are you trying to do exactly? Are you trying to build strength and muscle, or lose weight and get in shape. How long have you trained for?
    For strength building I would recommend doing 3 fullbody workouts per week if you are relatively new to lifting. Doing a 5x5 program that involves all the basic compound movements Squats/Deadlifts/Benchpress/Bentover rows/Military press Will build the most muscle in the shortest time frame.
    Lifting an amount of weight that you can do five sets of five reps and be very close to failure will build strength, but you must continue to increase the weight lifted each week or so.
    Eric

PR's
    squat 335x1
    benchpress 245x1
    DB Benchpress 100'sx6
    Bent over rows 245x8
    deadlifts 445x1
    Military press 130x6
    Chin-ups BW+100x2
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144259741 My workout journal

azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do 4 days a week for about an hour a time. I do what's called undulating periodization meaning each work out I change variables.

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Metriccar View Post
    I have a few questions.

When I go to the gym, I have a handful of workouts I want to do. I have lowered my rep count and set count, to like 3 sets of 12 or so, using heavier weights. By the time I am done with the 3rd set, I can hardly lift it, so I go on to the next machine. But if I go back to the same machine say 25-30 minutes later, I could do another 3 sets or so. Is this right? Am I supposed to do it that way or should I only be doing the original 3 sets? How long do you guys spend each time you do weight training? I'm at about 1 hour, 3-5 times a week. I read some people only go 3 times a week. I'm trying to do this as quickly as possible (lose fat, build muscle).
    Once I do an exercise I do my sets then move on. I do not go back to the same exercise again during the same training session. I would say to add another set of that exercise or add another one to two more exercises for that muscle group.

Originally Posted by azstrengthcoach View Post
    I do 4 days a week for about an hour a time. I do what's called undulating periodization meaning each work out I change variables.
    WTF does that even mean? Variables of what.... weight, reps or exercises? 4 days a week of the same exercises? Great advice!
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    go to 4-5 sets and maybe try drop sets

azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    Once I do an exercise I do my sets then move on. I do not go back to the same exercise again during the same training session. I would say to add another set of that exercise or add another one to two more exercises for that muscle group.

WTF does that even mean? Variables of what.... weight, reps or exercises? 4 days a week of the same exercises? Great advice!
    Look up undulating periodization, it's how elite athletes and power lifters and even some elit powerlifters train, it's called modern training

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Look up undulating periodization, it's how elite athletes and power lifters and even some elit powerlifters train, it's called modern training
    So you are trying to tell a beginner to train like an elite lifter. Still doesn't help the OP out. You are brilliant!
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

So you are trying to tell a beginner to train like an elite lifter. You are brilliant!
    If you know anything about proper training you would agree with me, what a tool. Let me guess your suggestion is 1 body part a day?

bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just read that link, My questions are pretty simple. It seems a lot like a hybrd program using some of a lot of programs if I am reading it right? Two is it mentioned nothing of muscle growth so outside strenth training is it safe to assume not so great for muscle gains/recomps/bbing? lets be real there is some studie or some new program every 6 months claiming to have a scientific research approval (wont even get into sups and diet)

While I respect the science of it lets face the facts when it comes to bbing/pling/ hell just getting in shape nothing works for everyone.
    AZ I gotta say that program is extreamly complicated for a begginer and the doms from it would be enough for any beginer to stop lifting, and if you do it with significant intensity I dont see enough time to recover, not to mention a beginner isnt gonna have nutrition in line to handle that kind of demand. I am thinking you might have missed with this one man.
    Excuses are like A-holes everyone's got 1...............

Have you ever done Wendlers 5/3/1? That's periodization training. There's nothing complicated about it. Super heavy training works..... For a while, heavy volume training works.... For a while, hypertrophy only training works.... For a while. By doing each of them weekly you get better results than doing only 1 type of training. For example Monday do 12-15 reps, Wednesday do 8-10, Friday do 3-5. Pretty simple it works because it maximizes training effect while minimizing the risk of over training. It actually reduces doms

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Have you ever done Wendlers 5/3/1? That's periodization training. There's nothing complicated about it. Super heavy training works..... For a while, heavy volume training works.... For a while, hypertrophy only training works.... For a while. By doing each of them weekly you get better results than doing only 1 type of training. For example Monday do 12-15 reps, Wednesday do 8-10, Friday do 3-5. Pretty simple it works because it maximizes training effect while minimizing the risk of over training. It actually reduces doms
    Is this what you do?

this is a nice idea on paper but switching the reps like that irl does not work well from my experience. How do you adjust the weights to match up with the previous higher or lowers reps and still make sure you are making progress? Seems more like a way of not knowing if you are making progress or just changing the workload back and forth.

This makes zero sense for anyone who wants to become a powerlifter or bodybuilder.
    Broscience at it's best for the average everyday recreational lifter maybe.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

Originally Posted by tmonkey View Post
    Is this what you do?

this is a nice idea on paper but switching the reps like that irl does not work well from my experience. How do you adjust the weights to match up with the previous higher or lowers reps and still make sure you are making progress? Seems more like a way of not knowing if you are making progress or just changing the workload back and forth.
    Yes it what I do. It's not that hard after a workout or two. You know generally what you can do for each lift for 3 reps, 8 reps, 15 reps etc. give it a try if I can do it anyone can

This makes zero sense for anyone who wants to become a powerlifter or bodybuilder.
    Broscience at it's best for the average everyday recreational lifter maybe.
    That's funny because that's how a lot of world class powerlifters train. They do a speed day and a strength day. Do you think powerlifters just do 1 rep mazes every day? What do you think west side barbell congujate training is?

Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Metriccar View Post
    I have a few questions.

Hmm, 3 sets of 12 using heavier weights doesn't sound right. Personally, I would consider anything using that many reps to be lighter weight myself. Heavier would fall in to the 1-5 rep range.

When I'm working out in the higher rep range, I typically bang out my workouts with little rest between sets, probably around a minute or two at most and my lifting normally takes 45 minutes to an hour. Tonight's workout at the gym was exactly like that.

Tomorrow happens to be my bench day and I'll rest over 5 minutes between sets once I start getting into my heavier sets. I start off at a fairly normal pace with my warm up and incline sets, then switch to flat bench and that when the rest period increases between sets. Then I move on to my accessory exercises (CGBP, Dips, DB Presses, etc) and just blast through those for the most part. It's the same idea on my squats and deadlifts, I was just using BP as an example. These workouts typically run between 90 and 120 minutes.

Your goal is lose fat and build muscle, that happens to be mine as well except I'm interested in strength gains as well. There's no need to go with some complicated program, the key is consistency. You should start a workout journal if you haven't already. Dropping body fat is more about your diet than your lifting.

Anyway, good luck man.

I'm a big fan of the 5/3/1 program mentioned earlier in this thread and have made good gains using it. Here's a handy link to it: http://www.strstd.com/ It's more a strength program though.
    Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=388841&page=90

xccellence.com, theironden.com

That's funny because that's how a lot of world class powerlifters train. They do a speed day and a strength day. Do you think powerlifters just do 1 rep mazes every day? What do you think west side barbell congujate training is?
    Based on your previous post... you said that a person should change training styles weekly. So west side peeps train with a bodybuilding split for a week every three weeks? "Overtraining" is a myth.... It's only poor training split and or bad nutrition that creates a so called overtraining bs. Also... the fact of reducing doms due to changing things up is more BS! That is Broscience!
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

Based on your previous post... you said that a person should change training styles weekly. So west side peeps train with a bodybuilding split for a week every three weeks? "Overtraining" is a myth.... It's only poor training split and or bad nutrition that creates a so called overtraining bs. Also... the fact of reducing doms due to changing things up is more BS! That is Broscience!
    Over training isn't a myth. The split I listed is one example. Most powerlifters do what's called congujate training. They do heavy lifting 1 day then speed lifting with 50-55% of their max load on a separate day. It's not broscience do some actual research. The fact you say this will do nothing for powerlifting shows you nothing about how they train. You also didn't read my post. You change what type of routine you do each workout within a week.

Over training isn't a myth. The split I listed is one example. Most powerlifters do what's called congujate training. They do heavy lifting 1 day then speed lifting with 50-55% of their max load on a separate day. It's not bioscience do some actual research. The fact you say this will do nothing for powerlifting shows you nothing about how they train. You also didn't read my post. You change what type of routine you do each workout within a week.
    LOL that's not what I said. I did not debate that. Yer reading skills suck!

Edit: yes, I did say that about overtraining. I stand by my words on that!
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keats2.htm

This article talks about how Louie Simmons of west side barbell uses periodization training

LOL that's not what I said. I did not debate that. Yer reading skills suck!

Edit: yes, I did say that about overtraining. I stand by my words on that!
    Sounds to me like you said periodization doesn't make sense for powerlifters. Before you spout off nonsense do your research.

Sounds to me like you said periodization doesn't make sense for powerlifters. Before you spout off nonsense do your research.
    Funny how you forgot this....

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    someone go get Wiggy. Now back to the OP he is looking to basically recomp his body, at least that is what I got from his question. AZ I think you just like to read your own typing man, you are WAY overcomplicating things for a begginer. Newbie gains? (or is that bro science too)

OP its really not rocket science or overly complicated, I used Yates Heavy Duty and Max-OT to do a recompe as well as Girundahs(sp) 8x8 programs all with good results but the biggest thing to get what yor looking for is INTENSITY, learn to lift with intensity push yourself out of a comfort level, get your diet (nutrition) in check and gains will come. As for time in the gym on the 8x8 and Max-OT programs I was done in as little as 30 minutes for a full workout on 1 body part.
    Excuses are like A-holes everyone's got 1...............

Funny how you forgot this....

You clearly have terrible reading comprehension skills. Go read the post again, it was change variables within a week and yes powerlifters do hypertrophy training, again stop talking about things you clearly know nothing about.

Originally Posted by bigvin73 View Post
    someone go get Wiggy. Now back to the OP he is looking to basically recomp his body, at least that is what I got from his question. AZ I think you just like to read your own typing man, you are WAY overcomplicating things for a begginer. Newbie gains? (or is that bro science too)

OP its really not rocket science or overly complicated, I used Yates Heavy Duty and Max-OT to do a recompe as well as Girundahs(sp) 8x8 programs all with good results but the biggest thing to get what yor looking for is INTENSITY, learn to lift with intensity push yourself out of a comfort level, get your diet (nutrition) in check and gains will come. As for time in the gym on the 8x8 and Max-OT programs I was done in as little as 30 minutes for a full workout on 1 body part.
    For newbies the best type of training is linear periodization. Newbie gains are true