Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sets/Reps

azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...dization_bible

Don't take my word for it listen to Dave Tate or do you not think he knows what he's doing?

bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by azstrengthcoach View Post
    For newbies the best type of training is linear periodization. Newbie gains are true
    Then why the hell didn't you just simplify it for him and explaine it if you wanted to help him? You went all haywire and deep into stuff instead of just helping the guy out man. Srs

I'm not sure you realize it but you like to pontificate and over complicate things. I'm not sure if you just like to flex your intellectual muscle or if its something else. Buddy we get it your a smart guy with a lot of experience and you do a ****ton of reading and research, but honestly take it from someone who's good at being an *******, you come of pompous and preachy
    Excuses are like A-holes everyone's got 1...............

azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by bigvin73 View Post
    Then why the hell didn't you just simplify it for him and explaine it if you wanted to help him? You went all haywire and deep into stuff instead of just helping the guy out man. Srs

I'm not sure you realize it but you like to pontificate and over complicate things. I'm not sure if you just like to flex your intellectual muscle or if its something else. Buddy we get it your a smart guy with a lot of experience and you do a ****ton of reading and research, but honestly take it from someone who's good at being an *******, you come of pompous and preachy
    He asked what others were doing, I told him what I do.

Originally Posted by bigvin73 View Post

Originally Posted by Metriccar View Post
    How long do you guys spend each time you do weight training? I'm at about 1 hour, 3-5 times a week).
    He asked what I do so I stated what I do. Other people asked questions about periodization so I provided articles explaining it. The only one pompous is Carl who actually thinks he knows better than leaders in the industry like Dave Tate and Louie Simmons. When I then explained it was pretty simple. Train 3 days a week do 15 reps Monday, 8 reps Wednesday, 3 reps friday that's pretty simple. You and Carl just don't seem to like when I point out the flaws in bro science

Originally Posted by tmonkey View Post
    Is this what you do?

this is a nice idea on paper but switching the reps like that irl does not work well from my experience. How do you adjust the weights to match up with the previous higher or lowers reps and still make sure you are making progress? Seems more like a way of not knowing if you are making progress or just changing the workload back and forth.
    It's pretty easy to measure results. Each week try for the heaviest weight you can at each rep range. If the weight your pushing goes up you're making progress, this isn't rocket science

Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have a few questions.

When I go to the gym, I have a handful of workouts I want to do. I have lowered my rep count and set count, to like 3 sets of 12 or so, using heavier weights. By the time I am done with the 3rd set, I can hardly lift it, so I go on to the next machine. But if I go back to the same machine say 25-30 minutes later, I could do another 3 sets or so. Is this right? Am I supposed to do it that way or should I only be doing the original 3 sets? How long do you guys spend each time you do weight training? I'm at about 1 hour, 3-5 times a week. I read some people only go 3 times a week. I'm trying to do this as quickly as possible (lose fat, build muscle).
    I've always tried to hit the muscle from several different angles(different machines, lifts) 4-5 really. Usually by the time I've done them all 1.5 hours has gone by, time to go. So to answer your question about going back to the same machine, nope...not me. Four sets per station starting at 15 reps, then 12, 10, 8, increasing the weight each time so that I can barely do the last rep. I consider the first set a warm-up set to get my muscles used to the form. I'm doing two muscle groups per day so that's Chest/Tri's one day for a total of 10 sets. At ten mins per machine including rest between that's just over an hour and a half. I'd shoot for at least five days a week with one day being minor muscle groups or random stuff...whatever I feel like that I haven't done, perhaps just cardio and abs.

KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    [QUOTE=azstrengthcoach;1016411433 Super heavy training works..... For a while, heavy volume training works.... For a while, hypertrophy only training works.... For a while.[/QUOTE]

When I read this my first thought was, if all of these only work for a while then if you do all of them every single week won't you plateau faster than mixing it up and doing one for a 12 or 18 week plan?
    The Unexamined Life is not worth living

Originally Posted by KenJenkinsII View Post
    When I read this my first thought was, if all of these only work for a while then if you do all of them every single week won't you plateau faster than mixing it up and doing one for a 12 or 18 week plan?
    Not according to all the data. The reason why we plateau is CNS fatigue or adaptation. This type of training prevents that. Again if dave Tate, Louie Simmons, Charles Poliquin, and pro strength coaches everywhere use it to train elite level athletes, powerlifters, and bodybuilders it probably works. Look on the forums about Layne Nortons PHAT program. Hundreds of threads about how great it is. That's a daily periodization program.

Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Daily Undulalting Periodization is the optimal way to train. Watch this video by Dr. Mike Zourdos who explains what it is that he does and answers a lot of the concerns brought up in this thread.

Last edited by Vanguard1965; 01-27-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    "We all have great inner power. The power is self-faith. There's really an attitude to winning. You have to see yourself winning before you win. And you have to be hungry. You have to conquer."
    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not according to all the data. The reason why we plateau is CNS fatigue or adaptation. This type of training prevents that. Again if dave Tate, Louie Simmons, Charles Poliquin, and pro strength coaches everywhere use it to train elite level athletes, powerlifters, and bodybuilders it probably works. Look on the forums about Layne Nortons PHAT program. Hundreds of threads about how great it is. That's a daily periodization program.
    I have been looking into phat actually but I only lift four days a week so it isn't for me
    Last edited by KenJenkinsII; 01-27-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    The Unexamined Life is not worth living

Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have been looking into phat farm actually but I only lift four days a week so it isn't for me
    You can modify PHAT to meet your needs.

Monday - Upper Power
    Tuesday - Lower Power
    Wednesday - Off
    Thursday -Upper Hypertrophy
    Friday - Lower Hypertrophy
    "We all have great inner power. The power is self-faith. There's really an attitude to winning. You have to see yourself winning before you win. And you have to be hungry. You have to conquer."
    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Wink

AZCoach,

Lol. You crack me up. You know your stuff no doubt. You have the credentials and all. But cmon, man, part of being a good coach is being able to put ourselves in the shoes of those we want to help, and never the other way around.

If I 'talk' to my athletes the way you 'talk' they'd lose interest and take up hopscotch instead.

Dont get me wrong. You know your stuff, and Im sure you're a great coach in real life. But the KISS principle works wonders, especially on the net.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

Originally Posted by Vanguard1965 View Post
    Daily Undulalting Periodization is the optimal way to train. Watch this video by Dr. Mike Zourdos who explains what it is that he does and answers a lot of the concerns brought up in this thread.

Great video

Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    AZCoach,

Lol. You crack me up. You know your stuff no doubt. You have the credentials and all. But cmon, man, part of being a good coach is being able to put ourselves in the shoes of those we want to help, and never the other way around.

If I 'talk' to my athletes the way you 'talk' they'd lose interest and take up hopscotch instead.

Dont get me wrong. You know your stuff, and Im sure you're a great coach in real life. But the KISS principle works wonders, especially on the net.

I did Keep it simple. Do 15 reps Monday, 8 Wednesday and 3 Friday

I have been looking into phat actually but I only lift four days a week so it isn't for me
    PHAT is a 4 day program

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by EB68 View Post
    What are you trying to do exactly? Are you trying to build strength and muscle, or lose weight and get in shape. How long have you trained for?
    For strength building I would recommend doing 3 fullbody workouts per week if you are relatively new to lifting. Doing a 5x5 program that involves all the basic compound movements Squats/Deadlifts/Benchpress/Bentover rows/Military press Will build the most muscle in the shortest time frame.
    Lifting an amount of weight that you can do five sets of five reps and be very close to failure will build strength, but you must continue to increase the weight lifted each week or so.
    BAM! I can't believe I missed this response. OP this ^ is a great advice.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    BAM! I can't believe I missed this response. OP this ^ is a great advice.
    I've used 5x5 and gotten good results.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by EB68 View Post
    What are you trying to do exactly? Are you trying to build strength and muscle, or lose weight and get in shape. How long have you trained for?
    For strength building I would recommend doing 3 fullbody workouts per week if you are relatively new to lifting. Doing a 5x5 program that involves all the basic compound movements Squats/Deadlifts/Benchpress/Bentover rows/Military press Will build the most muscle in the shortest time frame.
    Lifting an amount of weight that you can do five sets of five reps and be very close to failure will build strength, but you must continue to increase the weight lifted each week or so.

Thread should have ended right here.

Look up undulating periodization, it's how elite athletes and power lifters and even some elit powerlifters train, it's called modern training
    LMAO. You're posting to a beginner.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Thread should have ended right here.

LMAO. You're posting to a beginner.
    Actually no that was directed at Carl but thanks for playing

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    And who was post #3 intended for?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

The 3rd post in the forum?

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    The 3rd post in the forum?
    Ummmm... 3rd post is your post. and that was directed straight to the OP. So how was it directed to Carl?

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

Don't you have a bridge to live under?

It was directed at the OP, again look at the post, I simply stated what I do when I train, no where in the post does it say what he should do. I didn't advise he follow my workout he asked what others do at the gym and I said what I do

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Don't you have a bridge to live under?
    Do you have quota of how many peeps you want to pizz off in a thread?

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    It was directed at the OP, again look at the post, I simply stated what I do when I train, no where in the post does it say what he should do. I didn't advise he follow my workout he asked what others do at the gym and I said what I do

Huh?!
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    Go look through the thread, he's done nothing but troll. I've provided articles explained the science. Which one of us him or me is trying to actually contribute something to the thread?

Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    Huh?!
    Nice clever editing troll
    He's talking about 2 separate posts 1 directed at you 1 at the op. I haven't seen 1 post yet where you've actually contributed anything positive to a thread all you do is troll

Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    Careful, bruhs. Ya'lls gonna get yer periods undulized.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 01-27-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm trying to do this as quickly as possible (lose fat, build muscle).
    Get this out of your mind, because there is nothing quick about it.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)