MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Schools of thought on % of max training?

Im looking into doing Smolov jr mainly to increase my bench. Ive never done a program that says do 6x6 @ 70% or 10x3 @ 85%.
    Ive always done programs where i will put x weight on the bar and "fail" at 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 for example. The weight I use may be heavier at the start and as I fatigue it may get lower. Depending on how I feel it may even go the opposite way.
    The way I have trained is definitely all about what intensity I can bring to the workout. Ive never done a program that asks me to work below maximum intensity and I dont fully comprehend it. What do I get from going to the gym one or 2 sessions each week and not giving it my all?

I can see in smolov that its more about repetitions, form, under-training to overtrain, cant go balls to the wall 4 days a week, etc. and im not criticizing it im just considering it. Smolov actually makes sense to me.

But how about a cookie cutter 3x10 once a week that asks to use 70% of max. Based on calculators my 10rm may be 155 but I can rep that 20 times. why the hell would i bother doing 10 reps with my real 20 rep max? How could it be better than balls to the wall + deload + awareness of when to take an extra rest day?

If its true that I can make greater gains if I leave my intensity at home every second workout then I feel as though ive been sabotaged by my desire to get better every day.
    What are your thoughts? Link me to some articles. I understand that its a grey area and very personal (muscle fibre types, dedication, experience).

Registered User messnwitsquatch's Avatar
    messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) messnwitsquatch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're doing 10x3 @ 85% of your 1RM, you will be giving it your all by the end of the sets plus most programs will tell you to go all out until almost failure on your last set. You can't do 3 reps with 100% of your 1RM.

The calculator you're using usually aren't super accurate, especially going over about 5 reps. So if you need your 10 rep max, I'd take a training day and just try to figure out your 10RM.

cookie cutter programs are just what it sounds like. They are meant to fit a wide range of lifters and may not necessarily be what's best for any individual. You may be better off going balls to the wall on your workouts and then taking extra rest when needed, but I personally like having a set workout because it gives me set numbers that I need to hit that day. It gives me a "path" of progressive overload to follow, and I can add things to it to speed it up if I choose to. If I can do more after the set workout, then I may do a few extra reps or an extra set or some assistance work.

Sorry no articles, but I hope my thoughts help.
    Please check out my Youtube channel. Has a lot of my PRs as well as many Chinese national lifters training.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/yomon07
    My video thread:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151907313

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do what works for you. Personally I love submaximal training. I never go over 95% over a three week span and on my final set I do AMRAP(1-2) short of failure. Add 10 lbs to lower and 5 lbs to upper and begin the process all over again.

As long as you stay in the 85-95% window and add weight as needed, you'll make progress.

Also look at it this way.
    3*10 is 30 reps, say 1RM is 200
    10*3 is 30 reps, say 1RM is 200

On the 3*10 you're working at 70% intensity so 140 lbs for 30 reps(4,200 total tonnage moved)
    On the 10*3 you're working at 85% intensity so 170 lbs for 30 reps(5,200 total tonnage moved)
    OG

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by MassiveKent View Post
    What are your thoughts?
    There's nothing new under the sun. The same training that worked years ago still works today, for everybody.

No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What do I get from going to the gym one or 2 sessions each week and not giving it my all?
    Stronger. The guy doing low rep progressive overload workout that focuses on compound lifts performed multiple times per week will get stronger and stronger faster than the guy who goes in and does typical max effort body building workout. That seems to be a fairly universal rule.

WWGlide has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WWGlide has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WWGlide has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WWGlide has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WWGlide has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WWGlide has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WWGlide has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WWGlide has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WWGlide has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WWGlide has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WWGlide has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've been wondering about this topic myself as I have always trained to failure.

One thing i've noticed (as we all have) is that when training to failure the muscles experience extreme fatigue which will force you to lose reps/plates on the subsequent sets. This bothers me because even though I am getting a big lift on my first set (lets say i do 9 reps with X amount of weight) I don't feel like I am lifting optimally on the following sets when i can only get 4-6 reps with a weight I am capable of lifting for 9 reps. It seems logical in terms of progressive overload to NOT train to complete failure so that you can lift more efficiently by avoiding fatigue.

MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Nice replies guys.

Prilepins table is interesting.