justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000)

Treadmill vs outdoor running

I own a treadmill and my feet hurt tremendously when i try to run on it but when i run outside my feet feel perfectly fine....any of you guys know why this happens?

ckbe is just really nice. (+1000) ckbe is just really nice. (+1000) ckbe is just really nice. (+1000) ckbe is just really nice. (+1000) ckbe is just really nice. (+1000) ckbe is just really nice. (+1000) ckbe is just really nice. (+1000) ckbe is just really nice. (+1000) ckbe is just really nice. (+1000) ckbe is just really nice. (+1000) ckbe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by justinkel View Post
    I own a treadmill and my feet hurt tremendously when i try to run on it but when i run outside my feet feel perfectly fine....any of you guys know why this happens?
    I hate running but I've read that running on grass is a lot better for you because it is lower impact
    Admit it, I have jimmied your rustles, haven't I?

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your treadmill sucks. Your shoes might suck too.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

KALLISBROTHERS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KALLISBROTHERS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KALLISBROTHERS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KALLISBROTHERS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KALLISBROTHERS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KALLISBROTHERS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KALLISBROTHERS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KALLISBROTHERS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KALLISBROTHERS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KALLISBROTHERS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KALLISBROTHERS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Try running on a softer surface
    Just a pair of natural bodybuilders, Est. 1990 & 1992

hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Always used a treadmill without any issues... Never ran outside. Are u using proper running shoes? Also look at some newer model TMs with better shock absorption
    ()---() York Barbell Club #24 ()---()

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What kind of surface do you run on when you run outside?

I used to run a lot - mostly outside. I could feel the difference between asphalt and concrete. Asphalt was softer and I felt a lot less beat up afterwards. (I used to run eight to twelve miles every day.)

I didn't run on treadmills very often, but when I did, I had the impression that they were "softer" than most asphalt surfaces.

Shoes make a big difference too. A pair of running shoes would only me last three to four months. If you're using a worn out pair of shoes for your treadmill running, that could be the reason your feet hurt.

It's also possible that you're stride is different on the treadmill.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    *Edit: if your feet hurt tremendously, do not run again on that treadmill... Rest a few days until the pain goes away... Then get proper running shoes. There are many factors that can cause the pain (bad treadmill, laces too tight, bad fitting or bad shoe design, etc), but if it is usually only when using that treadmill then you need to stop using it. Please read on:

Treadmills are typically going to be softer than running outside. But some treadmills are just terrible quality/design or have busted up rollers/belts and can jack you up.

I started out using treadmills for about 6 months back in 2008, then gradually switched to outdoor exclusively. I really liked treadmills and being able to get in a quick 20 minute warm up run prior to lifting at the gym. But now I ONLY run outside. Sooooo much funner and more interesting than running in place, staring at a tv, out a window or looking at a wall. I began to actually enjoy running once i took it outside, and my distances began to get longer and my pace faster and faster. It's not so bad on a treadmill if you have eye candy like at a public gym, but still painfully boring.

Seriously recommend running outside vs treadmill. Go to a specialized running shoe store to get your running/step pattern and feet/arch analyzed (visit roadrunner sports website to see how they do this analysis to know what to expect). It is really worth it (in my opinion it is a necessity) and is usually a free service (fun and interesting too). They will tell you if you require a neutral or stabilized shoe, which insoles for your foot arch, etc. Having the right shoes makes a world of difference. FYI, I get a half size to a full size bigger shoe for running than my regular shoe size
    Last edited by ygohome; 01-26-2013 at 11:03 PM.

ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ckbe View Post
    I hate running but I've read that running on grass is a lot better for you because it is lower impact
    running on grass is definitely softer, but also has some risks. The biggest risk is uneven surface or hidden bumps/rocks, etc. you need a supportive stabilized shoe to prevent twisting an ankle. It could be more challenging and prone to injury while running on grass or trails than running on asphalt or cement or treadmill.

*there are alot of good trail shoes available and trail runs are probably my favorite runs. I like brooks cascade trail shoes, but there are many other brands/models to choose. FYI, trail shoes are going to have stiffer stronger soles to prevent thorns and sticks and rocks from injuring your feet/arches... So in the end, running on grass and trails in a trail shoe can be even more brutal than the street. Definitely more concentration and effort is required to cover same distances.
    Last edited by ygohome; 01-26-2013 at 11:16 PM.

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Treadmills generally have built in shock absorbtion.

I could easily run barefoot on a treadmill but outside I would have to use trainers for tarmac.

If it hurts then stop, run once a week for a minute, walk for a minute, run a minute to get used to the impact.

It will take a few month to get used to it to be honest.

Your weight is low for your height so the impact should be quite minimal to be honest.