Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Rossco90k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    Unless you're a powerlifter or weightlifter, it doesn't matter quite as much as people make out. It's true that you get more posterior chain stimulation from the low-bar squat, but most people are doing specific posterior chain work, anyway.

Conversely, you work with more depth and mobility with the high bar squat.

I've wavered on this over the years, but nowadays, I'm leaning more toward the high bar.

Edit: I realise that, paradoxically, I often recommend Starting Strength, which advocates low bar squatting. That is because it is a very convenient source of instruction.
    So if i am looking to increase speed would you recommend high bar or low bar.

I am doing deadlifts and power cleans also and sprints when training for rugby.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Rossco90k View Post

Neither. It's not that important. The benefits from one to the other just don't stack up well enough either way to change unless you're a powerlifter.

Choose the method which is most suitable for your physiology. I'm finding more and more that's the high bar for most people, once they can keep their body upright and get to depth.

Rossco90k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the help bro

oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need help plz :)

OK so here's my problem :

I play rugby for a divisional Munster rugby team and I hope to get on to the youths team in the next year or so.
    But I get sick at nearly all the training sessions and matches and that so i think I'm starting to lose my chance. I've tried a lot of different ways regards when I'm eating before the training but to no avail.
    Its whenever we do something high intensity like yesterday we were doing passing drills and then went straight into 20 push ups, 20burpees , 20 push ups and 20tuck jumps. My body doesn't seem to be able to stand the intensity but I've been doing all the extra conditioning work that the gym coaches have given us so i could do with any bit of advice on how to get past these high intensity bursts without getting sick?

Any help is appreciated , thanks

richardbblake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been playing for seven years and just graduated from my university in May. Captained and played flanker/ eight for many years but bulked enough in order to play prop my final year. Competed in the Varsity Cup and D1-AA Tournaments. Recently started playing for a not so competitive men's team and its hurting my soul.

Olympic lifting is a good way to increase strength and endurance. Any compound movement is going to be especially beneficial on the rugby field. New players who are trying to improve should focus on implementing cleans, deadlifts, and squats into their workouts if they're not already present.

For conditioning, HIIT will be the best way to get a player into 15's or 7's condition. Sprinting followed by running at a slower speed followed by a small rest period is a great way to build quicker speed, short distance endurance, and endurance over time. A favorite of mine is to run 200 meters in 40 seconds and rest for 20 seconds then run 100 meters in 20 seconds and rest for 40 seconds. Repeat 10 times to get a crippling workout in 20 minutes. 1k shuttles are also a great exercise. Shuttle to the 25, 50, 75, 100, and repeat. Your time should be under 4 minutes.

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    I'm about to finally ditch Comcast and switch to Dish or DirecTV and I need to determine which package to order. Which channels/networks are showing the Super Rugby, 6N, TriNations, etc matches?
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by lhprop1 View Post
    I'm about to finally ditch Comcast and switch to Dish or DirecTV and I need to determine which package to order. Which channels/networks are showing the Super Rugby, 6N, TriNations, etc matches?
    DirectTV has a few dedicated rugby channels from what i've seen (folks have it). But it's not included in the package they have so I dint know exactly what it's carried. British Broadcasting Co America used to have 6N matches but haven't seen them in the last two years.
    #sunyourballs
    Unvaxed sperm is the next Bitcoin
    ⒻⓊⒸⓀ ⒷⒾⒹⒺⓃ

Jealousy you have to earn tino124's Avatar
    tino124 is a name known to all. (+5000) tino124 is a name known to all. (+5000) tino124 is a name known to all. (+5000) tino124 is a name known to all. (+5000) tino124 is a name known to all. (+5000) tino124 is a name known to all. (+5000) tino124 is a name known to all. (+5000) tino124 is a name known to all. (+5000) tino124 is a name known to all. (+5000) tino124 is a name known to all. (+5000) tino124 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Damn, is this the only rugby thread?

After a couple surgeries I'm back at it for 7's.

Playing for Charlotte. Over our first 3 tournaments we won every game/tournament, total score of 380-24.

Drove up to NJ for the Monmouth county 7's, and ran into Old Blue and NYAC. Lost 20-0 and 15-0 (or something close). Very unfortunate, but they're two of the top 5 teams in the country, and we ****ing killed ourselves. It was definitely a needed wakeup call though. Gotta keep grinding.

Played all but maybe 3 minutes of five ****ing games this weekend. I can barely walk. Easily the most physical tournament I've been a part of.
    Director/TranceBrah @ Electric For Life and Garuda

( ' ' ' ) MISC. RUGBY CREW ( ' ' ' )

NYG Eli Manning Crew Member -- "You gotta unleash the Manning!"

Horse Head Crew Checking in

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There are many rugby threads. Most revolve around training. For the biggest one, search for year-round training for rugby.

brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Any one have a good recommendation on a molded firm ground cleat that will hold up to rugby?

I don't mind paying for quality, I have bought cleats ranging from $40-$180, and they all fall apart within a year. At this point I pretty much just by the cheapest black cleat I can find and use it until it falls apart. My only requirement is that they be fairly dark/not flashy. I am open to any suggestions either sources for cheap plain looking cleats that I can destroy without breaking the bank, or quality cleats that will last a few seasons.

Originally Posted by brownj12 View Post
    Any one have a good recommendation on a molded firm ground cleat that will hold up to rugby?

I don't mind paying for quality, I have bought cleats ranging from $40-$180, and they all fall apart within a year. At this point I pretty much just by the cheapest black cleat I can find and use it until it falls apart. My only requirement is that they be fairly dark/not flashy. I am open to any suggestions either sources for cheap plain looking cleats that I can destroy without breaking the bank, or quality cleats that will last a few seasons.
    It depends on where you play. Most of the backs and loose forwards I know are partial to Asics Tigreror or Lethal for their firm ground boots. If you're a tight five, player, consider ditching the moulded studs altogether and pick up some screw-in Gilbert, Canterbury Club, or Adidas Kakari boots.

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Pac Cup Rugby streaming for free on ESPN: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/
    #sunyourballs
    ⒻⓊⒸⓀ ⒷⒾⒹⒺⓃ

Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rossco90k View Post

If you're going to do one of the other I'd say high bar, but you may also benefit from more unilateral work like splits squats.
    B. Kinesiology
    CSEP-CEP
    CSCS
    MSc (c)

Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anyone been watching the Rugby Championship? Don't want to make a dedicated thread to it as the RWC is fast approaching.

Hooper had a great defensive game against the Boks but I am a massive fan of Pocock. I dont think starting the 2 of them would be great as there would be a complete imbalance in the backrow. Although their lineout is terrible, losing Fardy would make it even worse as they'd have 1 less "go-to" jumper. I think he calls a lot of the lineouts anyway.

The ABs were very iffy against Argentina. Hopefully they bomb out and choke.

Anyone have any decent opinions? Half drunk atm
    6ft 5 crew
    Rugby crew
    Physics crew
    Injury prone crew
    225lbs crew

Originally Posted by Openside4Life View Post
    Although their lineout is terrible, losing Fardy would make it even worse as they'd have 1 less "go-to" jumper. I think he calls a lot of the lineouts anyway.

I think you've accidentally invoked Cunningham's Law.

I think you're underestimating how drunk you are. Wallabies have close to the best lineout in the world. It's called by Rob Simmons and usually Horwill when he's not available. Fardy is important to the lineout. Simmons called to him most of the time on the weekend. Simmons was covered by Matfield. Yes, having Pocock, Hooper and Skelton dramatically reduces lineout options.

All Blacks looked pretty damn good for the first match of the season. If you think they looked more iffy than either us or the Boks, I think you're horribly mistaken. If SA don't dramatically improve this week, I'm afraid they will be on the end of a flogging.

Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I think you're underestimating how drunk you are. Wallabies have close to the best lineout in the world. It's called by Rob Simmons and usually Horwill when he's not available. Fardy is important to the lineout. Simmons called to him most of the time on the weekend. Simmons was covered by Matfield. Yes, having Pocock, Hooper and Skelton dramatically reduces lineout options.

All Blacks looked pretty damn good for the first match of the season. If you think they looked more iffy than either us or the Boks, I think you're horribly mistaken. If SA don't dramatically improve this week, I'm afraid they will be on the end of a flogging.
    The ABs switched off at times during the game but weren't 100% on the ball. I just really want them to slip up so of course at that time of the post, my opinion was (and probably still is) very bias.

Although I despise the Boks' policy on foreign based players, I still love the majority of their team. I really hope they put it up to the ABs.
    6ft 5 crew
    Rugby crew
    Physics crew
    Injury prone crew
    225lbs crew

Question for tight 5ers or forwards coaches. Have any of your locks bound on to the props' outside hip vs the inside leg?
    #sunyourballs
    ⒻⓊⒸⓀ ⒷⒾⒹⒺⓃ

Originally Posted by jamalfudge View Post
    Question for tight 5ers or forwards coaches. Have any of your locks bound on to the props' outside hip vs the inside leg?
    If it didn't give away the intent, I'd have my locks bind on the outside hip for every 8 man shove. You get a lot tighter bind that way. Crotch binding makes it easier to work in two pods, which is more common nowadays. Even the Argentine scrum uses crotch binding now.

Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Daemonium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If it didn't give away the intent, I'd have my locks bind on the outside hip for every 8 man shove. You get a lot tighter bind that way. Crotch binding makes it easier to work in two pods, which is more common nowadays. Even the Argentine scrum uses crotch binding now.
    We've always done inside leg, but we also have a smaller/more mobile team, and tend to take advantage of working in pods. That makes sense though ^
    B. Kinesiology
    CSEP-CEP
    CSCS
    MSc (c)

Originally Posted by Daemonium View Post
    We've always done inside leg, but we also have a smaller/more mobile team, and tend to take advantage of working in pods. That makes sense though ^
    I hope so. It took me weeks to get through Topo Rodriguez' book. Drove me batty.

rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Openside4Life View Post
    Anyone been watching the Rugby Championship? Don't want to make a dedicated thread to it as the RWC is fast approaching.

Hooper had a great defensive game against the Boks but I am a massive fan of Pocock. I dont think starting the 2 of them would be great as there would be a complete imbalance in the backrow. Although their lineout is terrible, losing Fardy would make it even worse as they'd have 1 less "go-to" jumper. I think he calls a lot of the lineouts anyway.

Damn the ABs played a great game against SA. SA's forwards dominated the game, but that was such a magnificent performance by the ABs to keep it close then steal it at the death. Very excited to see Lima Sopoaga have a good game too.
    Get rich or die trying
    Get laid or die crying
    Get aesthetic or die mirin'

Originally Posted by rb1413 View Post
    Damn the ABs played a great game against SA. SA's forwards dominated the game, but that was such a magnificent performance by the ABs to keep it close then steal it at the death. Very excited to see Lima Sopoaga have a good game too.
    The All Blacks are never out of a game. And they can always manufacture a win at the death. McCaw's try from the lineout is a perfect example of the many ways they can manage that.

rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rb1413 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The All Blacks are never out of a game. And they can always manufacture a win at the death. McCaw's try from the lineout is a perfect example of the many ways they can manage that.
    They mentally dominate opponents. The game against Ireland in 2013 is proof of that.

If things go awry (ie the ABs don't run away with the game early) the strategy is to hold on and keep the game within 10 points. with 20 minutes to go, trust your training and fitness and mental strength, and the other team will discombobulate.

They remind me of the old Tiger Woods: guys would just psych themselves out of a win when he was chasing them on the last day.

That being said Australia did the same thing against South Africa, so the bledisloe 1 test is going to be awesome this year. Really love old school coaches like Michael Cheika
    Get rich or die trying
    Get laid or die crying

Originally Posted by rb1413 View Post
    They mentally dominate opponents. The game against Ireland in 2013 is proof of that.

If things go awry (ie the ABs don't run away with the game early) the strategy is to hold on and keep the game within 10 points. with 20 minutes to go, trust your training and fitness and mental strength, and the other team will discombobulate.

They remind me of the old Tiger Woods: guys would just psych themselves out of a win when he was chasing them on the last day.

That being said Australia did the same thing against South Africa, so the bledisloe 1 test is going to be awesome this year. Really love old school coaches like Michael Cheika
    The All-Black strategy of play under Graham Henry is the premise of these two articles:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/wal...alysis-part-1/
    http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/wal...alysis-part-2/

They are a great read and help explain how it happens. They explain why the Wallabies last year were doing everything arse-backwards to the ABs and SA. Now, I note that in the SA game, the Wallabies the same bench management ideas. The points started coming a few minutes late, but they came.

Fullbacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fullbacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fullbacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fullbacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fullbacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fullbacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fullbacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fullbacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello gents. This is going to be my fifth season playing rugby, 19 years old and mostly play fullback. I'm trying for a very good university team in the fall but I was just looking for some tips from the wiser and more experienced. I'm not the greatest athlete and a little undersized but I love the game and got a pretty good rugby iq (compared to my fellow American riggers) and a good boot. I am recovering from an ankle surgery right now. I'm 5'8 160 but have lost significant weight. I'm planning on taking a prohormone once I'm cleared to workout to kind of speed up me getting back to optimal shape and a boost. Any suggestions at all?? Also this is my first post here so sorry if I did anything horribly wrong

The All-Black strategy of play under Graham Henry is the premise of these two articles:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/wal...alysis-part-1/
    http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/wal...alysis-part-2/

They are a great read and help explain how it happens. They explain why the Wallabies last year were doing everything arse-backwards to the ABs and SA. Now, I note that in the SA game, the Wallabies the same bench management ideas. The points started coming a few minutes late, but they came.
    thanks for the aware, good articles and the site seems cool too.
    Get rich or die trying
    Get laid or die crying

Originally Posted by Fullbacker View Post
    Hello gents. This is going to be my fifth season playing rugby, 19 years old and mostly play fullback. I'm trying for a very good university team in the fall but I was just looking for some tips from the wiser and more experienced. I'm not the greatest athlete and a little undersized but I love the game and got a pretty good rugby iq (compared to my fellow American riggers) and a good boot. I am recovering from an ankle surgery right now. I'm 5'8 160 but have lost significant weight. I'm planning on taking a prohormone once I'm cleared to workout to kind of speed up me getting back to optimal shape and a boost. Any suggestions at all?? Also this is my first post here so sorry if I did anything horribly wrong
    Only thing you did wrong was mention that it was your first post

haha, welcome to the misc. If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about your situation. Just make sure you take care of the injury and don't rush back, at 19 you think you are invincible but if you don't take care of the injury it will bother you for the rest of your life.
    Get rich or die trying
    Get laid or die crying

Originally Posted by Fullbacker View Post
    Welcome.

First forget the prohormone. Prohormones can cause more trouble than they are worth for a lot of people. Whichever way you cut it most supplements are only effective for athletes who already have everything else sorted out really well.

They are also on the banned list. Probably not a good idea in general.

Nonetheless welcome back to the game. I hope you continue to love it.

lawd how about them wallabies, what a game. Looking forward to this weekend's rematch
    Get rich or die trying
    Get laid or die crying

Indeed! Cheika is dispensing with conventional wisdom for this one. And he needs to. The All-Blacks ARE conventional wisdom. We need to do something different.

That said, I think the Wallabies are still tinkering for the World Cup squad.