TK21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Basketball Player Needs help

Hello, I'm new here.
    I'm 17 years old basketball player currently at 11th grade.
    5'9, around 180 lbs and 17-18% BF.
    I'm during the season right now, we're ranked in 2nd place in hope to take the lead in our league.
    I really need some help to plan my off-season, first i want to lose some fat (I'm currently do HIIT to lose that fat).
    In next september i'll be 18 so i need to be ready for the senior leagues.
    Basically i don't have very much experience in weight room (6 months, 3 months in summer 2011 and more 3 months in summer 2012. but without results because lack of knowledge, experience, nutrition etc.).

I planning to train 5-6 days a week, 3 days/week of Strength Work and 2-3 days/week of speed/conditioning, something like this:
    Sunday - Basketball Skills+Strength Work
    Monday - Basketball Skills+Speed/Conditioning Work
    Tuesday - Basketball Skills+Strength Work
    Wednesday - Basketball Skills+Speed/Conditioning Work
    Thursday - Basketball Skills+Strength Work
    Friday - maybe some light shooting/swimming, not something too difficult
    Saturday - COMPLETELY OFF

My goals are first, cutting that fat until off-season start (Around April-May).
    Then at the off-season I want to hit the weight room to become WAY MORE stronger, faster, more quicker and of course, jump higher. currently i can touch the rim easily. i want to get stronger but not too much big, i dont want to get a bodybuilder body.

My basketball workouts will last around 1.5-2 hours.
    Conditioning/Speed will be different every time: some 30-45 minute runs, HIIT workouts, Swimming, Sprints, bicycle work, jump rope, sometimes basketball specific conditioning like suicides etc. also on these days i'll do some plyometrics and agility drills. Do you think it will be fine?

I need help for design my strength training program. I don't understand, because if people ask for what is good for basketball, people say to do squats, deadlifts for explosive power. But how much? Heavy with lower reps or light with higher reps? what is the range for reps/sets and rest periods between sets that will be basketball specific? how do i know that my workouts are specific for my goals?

what do you think about my routine? do you think it will be good?

Thanks you very much.

Swoosh639 is just really nice. (+1000) Swoosh639 is just really nice. (+1000) Swoosh639 is just really nice. (+1000) Swoosh639 is just really nice. (+1000) Swoosh639 is just really nice. (+1000) Swoosh639 is just really nice. (+1000) Swoosh639 is just really nice. (+1000) Swoosh639 is just really nice. (+1000) Swoosh639 is just really nice. (+1000) Swoosh639 is just really nice. (+1000) Swoosh639 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I also play basketball and need a serious transformation for going senior next season. I am 6'4", around 194lbs, BF like 16%. It's definitely too much for me but in my opinion I don't have enough LBM to cut. My season ends at beginning of march so I think I'm in better situation. How much can I bulk from now to have enough time to cut for summer?

anyone help???

Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks solid. Conditioning is more important than strength for basketball in my opinion because too much strength training can throw off your shot.

Originally Posted by Tulegitimate View Post
    Looks solid. Conditioning is more important than strength for basketball in my opinion because too much strength training can throw off your shot.
    Thanks man, more help please? i need help with planning my strength program...

TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There are some interesting articles here: stack . com/2012/10/01/basketball-exercises/
    Losing fat is a good goal to aim for.

I never specifically work out for basketball but I think any strength gains will help you. Your plan looks good, just go for it.

Originally Posted by TallJJ View Post
    There are some interesting articles here: stack . com/2012/10/01/basketball-exercises/
    Losing fat is a good goal to aim for.

I never specifically work out for basketball but I think any strength gains will help you. Your plan looks good, just go for it.
    thanks man appreciate it.. more help please about strength training? anyone?

RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    either go on SS first, or ws4sb3. if u go on ss first, youll eventualyl switch over to ws4sb3

emart24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First off, saying that strength training for basketball hurts your jumpshot is a MYTH. Not practicing your shot is what hurts it the most, strength training will only help your shot. Look at LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, both of them train strength and they have some of the best technique in the world.

If you're around 15% bodyfat in the offseason, I would look to gain size and muscle but stay at that bodyfat. If you practice and condition in the offseason with more weight on your body- you will become stronger and more explosive, especially if you start to cut bodyfat once the season begins. Use the offseason to improve your techniques and gain strength to become more a more physical presence on the court. You can always use the month before the season start to cut bodyfat and improve your conditioning.

Your plan looks fine, but I would cut out any low-intensity cardio and substitute it with HIIT like you're currently doing, emphasize sprinting and plyometrics. Since you're new to lifting I would keep it simple and stick to the basic compound lifts suchs as: Squats, Deadlifts, Benchpress, Powerclean, Pull-ups. Also focus on improving your core strength with planking, ab workouts, and other core-focused workouts.

Most impotantly, emphasize your form and technique with everything. whether its lifting or basketball skills, you need to strive for perfect form. If you practicr incorrectly, your in-game performance will reflect that. Challenge yourself to do everything with completely perfect form and technique.

Originally Posted by RearDeltoids View Post
    either go on SS first, or ws4sb3. if u go on ss first, youll eventualyl switch over to ws4sb3
    I know these programs, do you think they will be fine for basketball? gaining strength and muscle, but not too much muscle to look like a bodybuilder?

Originally Posted by emart24 View Post
    First off, saying that strength training for basketball hurts your jumpshot is a MYTH. Not practicing your shot is what hurts it the most, strength training will only help your shot. Look at LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, both of them train strength and they have some of the best technique in the world.

If you're around 15% bodyfat in the offseason, I would look to gain size and muscle but stay at that bodyfat. If you practice and condition in the offseason with more weight on your body- you will become stronger and more explosive, especially if you start to cut bodyfat once the season begins. Use the offseason to improve your techniques and gain strength to become more a more physical presence on the court. You can always use the month before the season start to cut bodyfat and improve your conditioning.

Your plan looks fine, but I would cut out any low-intensity cardio and substitute it with HIIT like you're currently doing, emphasize sprinting and plyometrics. Since you're new to lifting I would keep it simple and stick to the basic compound lifts suchs as: Squats, Deadlifts, Benchpress, Powerclean, Pull-ups. Also focus on improving your core strength with planking, ab workouts, and other core-focused workouts.

Most impotantly, emphasize your form and technique with everything. whether its lifting or basketball skills, you need to strive for perfect form. If you practicr incorrectly, your in-game performance will reflect that. Challenge yourself to do everything with completely perfect form and technique.
    Thanks for help man very appreciate it!

ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tulegitimate View Post
    Thats a load of croc. Keep shooting pratice in at least twice a week (btw 300-600shots total) while you are lifting and you will develop a BETTER shot.
    Estimated 1Rep Max at ~204lbs

Squat 370lb (1.71xBW)
    Deadlift 470lb (2.30xBW)
    Bench 265lb (1.30xBW)

-bk

Originally Posted by ByronKelly View Post
    Thats a load of croc. Keep shooting pratice in at least twice a week (btw 300-600shots total) while you are lifting and you will develop a BETTER shot.
    Thanks man, basically I don't worry about my shooting.. if I'll put in the work and work on my shot every day it won't hurt due to lifting.

BUMP!
    Please i need help to plan my strength training.. thanks in advace

ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here is what i did over the off-season last summer. Feel free to follow this and/or modify it to suit your needs

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=143271423

Squat 370lb (1.71xBW)
    Deadlift 470lb (2.30xBW)
    Bench 265lb (1.30xBW)

-bk

Here is what i did over the off-season last summer. Feel free to follow this and/or modify it to suit your needs
    looks great, man. basically what the reps/sets range you did? and how much rest between sets?
    also, did that plan help you as a basketball player? athleticism? not becoming too bulky like bodybuilder?

Did you actually look through the whole thing? I wrote EXACTLY what i did each day, AND there was a link in there to a forum i posted about my goals, plans etc

Yes it helped with basketball. I increased my strength, quickness, agility, vertical, and most importantly Ball Handling and Shooting (from skills training wile lifting).
    Reps depend on your goals. Want to add a lot of strength and some size? 8-12 reps. Strength and not size? 4 reps. Maximal Strength? 1-2 reps. etc etc

Read more

Squat 370lb (1.71xBW)
    Deadlift 470lb (2.30xBW)
    Bench 265lb (1.30xBW)

-bk

xmattcoolx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TK21 View Post
    Hello, I'm new here.
    I'm 17 years old basketball player currently at 11th grade.
    5'9, around 180 lbs and 17-18% BF.
    I'm during the season right now, we're ranked in 2nd place in hope to take the lead in our league.
    I really need some help to plan my off-season, first i want to lose some fat (I'm currently do HIIT to lose that fat).
    In next september i'll be 18 so i need to be ready for the senior leagues.
    Basically i don't have very much experience in weight room (6 months, 3 months in summer 2011 and more 3 months in summer 2012. but without results because lack of knowledge, experience, nutrition etc.).

I planning to train 5-6 days a week, 3 days/week of Strength Work and 2-3 days/week of speed/conditioning, something like this:
    Sunday - Basketball Skills+Strength Work
    Monday - Basketball Skills+Speed/Conditioning Work
    Tuesday - Basketball Skills+Strength Work
    Wednesday - Basketball Skills+Speed/Conditioning Work
    Thursday - Basketball Skills+Strength Work
    Friday - maybe some light shooting/swimming, not something too difficult
    Saturday - COMPLETELY OFF

My goals are first, cutting that fat until off-season start (Around April-May).
    Then at the off-season I want to hit the weight room to become WAY MORE stronger, faster, more quicker and of course, jump higher. currently i can touch the rim easily. i want to get stronger but not too much big, i dont want to get a bodybuilder body.

My basketball workouts will last around 1.5-2 hours.
    Conditioning/Speed will be different every time: some 30-45 minute runs, HIIT workouts, Swimming, Sprints, bicycle work, jump rope, sometimes basketball specific conditioning like suicides etc. also on these days i'll do some plyometrics and agility drills. Do you think it will be fine?

I need help for design my strength training program. I don't understand, because if people ask for what is good for basketball, people say to do squats, deadlifts for explosive power. But how much? Heavy with lower reps or light with higher reps? what is the range for reps/sets and rest periods between sets that will be basketball specific? how do i know that my workouts are specific for my goals?

what do you think about my routine? do you think it will be good?

Thanks you very much.
    From experience, I was 14 when I got first got looked at by Division 1 coaches (Yale, UCLA, and Baylor) I'm 5'9 165 and 15 years old. The best way to get better is to not only lift in the off season but during the season too. Most coaches will tell you powerlifting will mess up your shot, and that is true, it can, but working on your shot prevents that. I go to Martinsburg HS (WV) and we're one of the top teams in the Nation for basketball, and football. I got a Division 1 scholarship from Longwood Univ and Yale but due to some off court issues at my school I wasn't allowed to play Bball this year, just football. My workout (Bball) used to consist of 1000 shots a day on off days. 500 on days we had practice. Only 100 on game days (Not including warmups or shots in games) So I constantly practiced my shot. I did 45 minutes of dribbling a day no matter what day it was. The key is to just always work on your game. Post moves, jump shots, ball handling, everything. A 5'9-6'4 guy wont play any other position than a PG or SG in college. So if you're a PF in HS, you'll have to learn to be a guard now.

The best workout plan (Assuming you have practice 3-4 days a week and 1-2 games a week)

Sunday and Wednesday
    100 made shots- Each hand (Form shooting)
    15 made shots from mid range (Each Hand)
    Make 10 straight layups Each Hand
    Make 10 straight spin move layups each hand.
    50 high jumps
    3 sets of 20 push ups each.
    200 (weighted and elevated) calf raises.

Monday and Thursday
    200 made shots- Each Hand (Form Shooting)
    25 makes each hand (jumpshots)
    Make 15 straight layups each hand
    Bench 135 lbs (3 sets- 10 reps)
    Weighted Crunches (Comfortable weight- 5 sets- 25 reps)
    Tennis ball dribbling- (Dribble 2 tennis balls) 20 times (Up court down court= 1 time.)
    Tennis ball rebounding (Throw tennis ball off back board - highest point rebound)

Tuesday and Friday
    2 Minute Drills (Dribbling between each leg for 2 minutes then up and down court with each hand for 2 minutes)
    10 makes with each hand- Tips (Throw off back board and tip it in)
    Dribbling course (Use cones, switch up dribbles with a spin and a crossover, etc.)
    100 makes each hand- Form shooting.
    Squats (135 lbs, 3 sets- 10 reps)
    Tennis ball dribbling Advanced (One hand with a basketball, one with a tennis ball 20x up down court [Each hand])

Saturday
    1000 makes- Anywhere on court, just switch hands each make.

This isn't much of the lifting aspect, as much as the practice, other people can help with the lifting. This will help you become a D2 player at least if you follow through. Incorporate full body workouts whenever, just remember, basketball players should be lean and strong.

My person stats page from Summer 2011 (When I got my scholarships) I'm not allowed to post links yet so add the www to the beginning and .com after forsebasketball
    forsebasketball/Member/1183/Matthew_Cool

hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am training to become an elite basketball player. I used to play seriously about 12 years ago, stopped freshman year of high school. It all starts with tremendous strength training and explosiveness if you want to get far. That and how much skills you possess.

I used to play 4-6 hours a day from 10 years old to 15 years old. Went to all the camps and lived on the court. I then lost the dream and stopped playing for nearly 12 years. When i started playing again, i picked up my skills rather fast. The game has been in grained in me. So how much skill work u need to do depends on how much coordination and skills u already possess, and how much court prowess and experience you have. Some people naturally have that confidence on the court where they can incorporate the skills they have.

Did you actually look through the whole thing? I wrote EXACTLY what i did each day, AND there was a link in there to a forum i posted about my goals, plans etc

Yes it helped with basketball. I increased my strength, quickness, agility, vertical, and most importantly Ball Handling and Shooting (from skills training wile lifting).
    Reps depend on your goals. Want to add a lot of strength and some size? 8-12 reps. Strength and not size? 4 reps. Maximal Strength? 1-2 reps. etc etc

Read more
    I looked into your whole plan man, I just don't understand it because from time to time you were changed your reps/sets...

Originally Posted by xmattcoolx View Post
    From experience, I was 14 when I got first got looked at by Division 1 coaches (Yale, UCLA, and Baylor) I'm 5'9 165 and 15 years old. The best way to get better is to not only lift in the off season but during the season too. Most coaches will tell you powerlifting will mess up your shot, and that is true, it can, but working on your shot prevents that. I go to Martinsburg HS (WV) and we're one of the top teams in the Nation for basketball, and football. I got a Division 1 scholarship from Longwood Univ and Yale but due to some off court issues at my school I wasn't allowed to play Bball this year, just football. My workout (Bball) used to consist of 1000 shots a day on off days. 500 on days we had practice. Only 100 on game days (Not including warmups or shots in games) So I constantly practiced my shot. I did 45 minutes of dribbling a day no matter what day it was. The key is to just always work on your game. Post moves, jump shots, ball handling, everything. A 5'9-6'4 guy wont play any other position than a PG or SG in college. So if you're a PF in HS, you'll have to learn to be a guard now.

The best workout plan (Assuming you have practice 3-4 days a week and 1-2 games a week)

Sunday and Wednesday
    100 made shots- Each hand (Form shooting)
    15 made shots from mid range (Each Hand)
    Make 10 straight layups Each Hand
    Make 10 straight spin move layups each hand.
    50 high jumps
    3 sets of 20 push ups each.
    200 (weighted and elevated) calf raises.

Monday and Thursday
    200 made shots- Each Hand (Form Shooting)
    25 makes each hand (jumpshots)
    Make 15 straight layups each hand
    Bench 135 lbs (3 sets- 10 reps)
    Weighted Crunches (Comfortable weight- 5 sets- 25 reps)
    Tennis ball dribbling- (Dribble 2 tennis balls) 20 times (Up court down court= 1 time.)
    Tennis ball rebounding (Throw tennis ball off back board - highest point rebound)

Tuesday and Friday
    2 Minute Drills (Dribbling between each leg for 2 minutes then up and down court with each hand for 2 minutes)
    10 makes with each hand- Tips (Throw off back board and tip it in)
    Dribbling course (Use cones, switch up dribbles with a spin and a crossover, etc.)
    100 makes each hand- Form shooting.
    Squats (135 lbs, 3 sets- 10 reps)
    Tennis ball dribbling Advanced (One hand with a basketball, one with a tennis ball 20x up down court [Each hand])

Saturday
    1000 makes- Anywhere on court, just switch hands each make.

This isn't much of the lifting aspect, as much as the practice, other people can help with the lifting. This will help you become a D2 player at least if you follow through. Incorporate full body workouts whenever, just remember, basketball players should be lean and strong.

My person stats page from Summer 2011 (When I got my scholarships) I'm not allowed to post links yet so add the www to the beginning and .com after forsebasketball
    forsebasketball/Member/1183/Matthew_Cool
    Originally Posted by hyperdunk1 View Post
    I am training to become an elite basketball player. I used to play seriously about 12 years ago, stopped freshman year of high school. It all starts with tremendous strength training and explosiveness if you want to get far. That and how much skills you possess.

I used to play 4-6 hours a day from 10 years old to 15 years old. Went to all the camps and lived on the court. I then lost the dream and stopped playing for nearly 12 years. When i started playing again, i picked up my skills rather fast. The game has been in grained in me. So how much skill work u need to do depends on how much coordination and skills u already possess, and how much court prowess and experience you have. Some people naturally have that confidence on the court where they can incorporate the skills they have.
    Thanks for the help guys. Basically i'm playing SG right now, I don't worry about my skills because i'm plan to work on them 5-6 days a week. I need help most at strength & conditioning for basketball...

Trey19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trey19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For conditioning I would just play full court basketball games and make sure I run up and down the court on all possessions. This really helps t o get in your body in basketball condition. I would also jump rope for 30 minutes to an hour or run around the park or use a treadmill. I think the best way is to just run full court games because you will be having fun while getting your cardio workout. For strength training I would do:
    Leg Presses 3 sets of 10 ( I usually just find a weight that I can handle for all my workouts, there is no specific weight you have to lift)
    Box Squats 3 sets of 5 I usually do around 50% of my 1 rep maximum weight. 45 second rest between sets
    Deadlifts 3 sets of 5 with 50% of 1 rep maximum. 45 second rest between sets
    Lunges 3 sets of 5 with 50% of 1 rep maximum. 45 second rest between sets
    Calf Raises 4 sets of 20
    Reverse Calf Raises 1 set of 20
    Then I do some stretching.
    These exercises will help improve your vertical jump and your leg strength.
    Hope this helps if you have any questions I'll be glad to help.

justdoit40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justdoit40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justdoit40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justdoit40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justdoit40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justdoit40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justdoit40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justdoit40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justdoit40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justdoit40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justdoit40 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First off all you couldn't look like a bodybuilder if you tried so don't think like that at all. Second of all strength does not affect basketball ummm brb lebron james is strongest basketball player and is also the best? Coincidence? Just practice both if i were you i would do hiit in morning basketball training in the afternoon and lifting a little later so you can optimize all of your training and they wont be in the way of eachother!