lor166r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Thinking of competing

Hi, I have been scouring the Internet for help on routines. I am playing with the idea of competing next year so have plenty of time to get ready. I'm doubling this at home as I can't afford a PT presently as I have been made redundant and currently working part time hours. Can anyone help me with a training plan please. I am 47 and need to lose a bit of weight. I've got the food under control now it's just the correct training routine that I am stuck on. I would appreciate it if someone could through ideas in this direction please.

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do you have access to a gym and/or weights (dumbbells, oly bar/plates)?

What is your lifting history? Some routines are more beginner, while other are for intermediate, advanced. If just starting, you may want to focus on a full body routine with focus on compound lifts and proper progression.

Re: The food thing. I am assuming you've calculated and figured appropriate calories (not too low, not too high) (tracking cals/weighing portions) for you to lose at a healthy pace?

Re: Competing. Here is a link for you regarding staying realistic. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=130738983

Welcome and good luck.

Thankyou for the reply. I have access to a gym and have a small gym set up at home. I have no lifting history apart from doing full body weight workouts at the gym, so for this I would be a beginner. I have been looking for some training routines for example what to train on what days. I'm taking on board your suggestion of the full body routine and will try to work out a training schedule.
    How long have you been training? You look fantastic. My goal is to strip myself down tone up and compete. Presently that is a far away dream as I'm carrying some extra weight. So determined to get there and do it.

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by lor166r View Post
    Thankyou for the reply. I have access to a gym and have a small gym set up at home. I have no lifting history apart from doing full body weight workouts at the gym, so for this I would be a beginner. I have been looking for some training routines for example what to train on what days. I'm taking on board your suggestion of the full body routine and will try to work out a training schedule.
    How long have you been training? You look fantastic. My goal is to strip myself down tone up and compete. Presently that is a far away dream as I'm carrying some extra weight. So determined to get there and do it.
    For years I went to the gym, but basically wasn't training. I was sort of haphazardly doing a bunch of cardio, then hitting up my problem areas on the machine du jour. I'd starve myself M-F, then would be a real porker on the weekends. I got no where fast.....a real vicious cycle. I only got my act together in 2009.

It really makes a difference when you are consistent with your diet deficit and train by following a proven routine with the specific purpose of progressing. The full body idea was just a suggestion, not something that is written in stone. Other ideas are a push/pull routine and/or upper/lower routine. Just make sure whatever routine you choose focuses on compound lifts.

Here is a link for a beginner's guide to 6 basic compound moves with suggested routines.

Good luck with everything. I am with you on the fat loss train. Currently, I am try to shed some holiday pounds .

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If it's just the itch to compete, why not join one of the zillions of transformation challenges that are constantly going on?

Competing is expensive (suits, shoes, tanning, nails, hair, coach, trainer) while the transformation challenges are not only free, but also cash prizes for the winner?

The link in my sig is to a thread that we are all in that bodybuildingcom is holding now.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    If it's just the itch to compete, why not join one of the zillions of transformation challenges that are constantly going on?

Competing is expensive (suits, shoes, tanning, nails, hair, coach, trainer) while the transformation challenges are not only free, but also cash prizes for the winner?

The link in my sig is to a thread that we are all in that bodybuildingcom is holding now.
    Hi discdoggie I've looked up the link, i'm now seriously thinking about doing this. It will also hive me a big of motivation.

I never thought of the expense to compete to be honest, but I'll bear that in mind,

Thank you

Originally Posted by thepowerwithin View Post
    For years I went to the gym, but basically wasn't training. I was sort of haphazardly doing a bunch of cardio, then hitting up my problem areas on the machine du jour. I'd starve myself M-F, then would be a real porker on the weekends. I got no where fast.....a real vicious cycle. I only got my act together in 2009.

It really makes a difference when you are consistent with your diet deficit and train by following a proven routine with the specific purpose of progressing. The full body idea was just a suggestion, not something that is written in stone. Other ideas are a push/pull routine and/or upper/lower routine. Just make sure whatever routine you choose focuses on compound lifts.

Here is a link for a beginner's guide to 6 basic compound moves with suggested routines.

Good luck with everything. I am with you on the fat loss train. Currently, I am try to shed some holiday pounds .
    Thanks for the link, I have had a good look at it and will be definitely using these lifts.
    I can understand the weekend binges. I have been the same since September. I have put on some weight due to this. My hubby is my saboteur although he has good intentions, they destroy me. I had to ask him to stop buying me chocolate and sweet things as I just eat them, and instead help me to achieve my goal.
    Poor guy I felt so sorry for him, as he was devastated.

I am sorting out a few training schedules to see what works for me.

Thanks for your input its much appreciated.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by lor166r View Post
    Hi discdoggie I've looked up the link, i'm now seriously thinking about doing this. It will also hive me a big of motivation.

I never thought of the expense to compete to be honest, but I'll bear that in mind,

Thank you
    DD is right, competing is expensive, I am pretty sure i dropped at least 1k on my first show.
    There are these things to think about -

Training (gym memberships, coaches, trainers etc)
    Food
    Supplements (if any)
    Entry Fees ( range from 40 to couple hundred depending on what you are doing)
    Organization Fees (most times you have to pay for registration into the organization plus show entry fees)
    Suits (you should have 2, one for show and one for back up just in case)
    Shoes
    Jewelry (the fake stuff can get pricey too)
    Hair
    makeup
    Tanning
    Nails
    Travel (plane tickets, motels, gas, taxi fees, food,)
    Extras (bikini bite so your suit stays in place, boob enhancers, oils, and other junk i forgot!)

There is a lot that goes into it, and none of it is cheap. You can spend upwards of 300 just on tanning, and suits range from 100 and up, at least 200 for a good suit. Makeup and hair can cost a few hundred as well. And all for about 5 mins on stage if you are lucky (some dont even get that much!)

It also takes months of planning and research, finding suit designers that can make you a suit in your time frame (they book up fast), deciding on a division, organization, and show, practising posing, time spent training, the details of dieting.

And it can be all very self asorbing, which is not easy for the spouse to handle sometimes. So you may want to really talk to your hubby if he is all ready sabotaging you, how do you think he is going to act when you have to be meticulous with your diet and training and the world revolves around only those 2 things for months at a time?
    My husband is very supportive, but even he has his moments where contest prep bugs him.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Registered User airmansprincess's Avatar
    airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    wow, I never knew competing would be that expensive, I mean, are fake tans and trainers and coaches really necessary? Are $200 suits a necessity or will a nice department store bikini be ok, makeup, nails, jewlry, hair, shoes...I have/can do myself right? I dont need a makeup artist/stylist and brand new shoes/jewlry right? Im SRS. Why the high tag? Ive done beauty pageants before on a tiny budget, so why cant I do figure comps on a budget?

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you are doing figure then the suits are not the same at all as a department store suit. They are cut completely different, and most department store suits are not cut very flattering. They must cross in the back (this not only allows the back to be seen but accentuates the body), the bottoms are high waisted and usually low in the back, and cut very tiny in the bum. The high waist makes the legs look longer and the tiny bum shows off your glutes. This is NOT how department store bikinis are cut. Usually a department suit is cut straight and high across the bum and low on the waist. On top of that most fugure suits are stoned with crytsals to make them stand out on stage. You can show in a plain suit, but you run the risk of not being noticed as well as not looking prepared.

The fake tan is absolutely needed and is not your regular spray tan that you get at your local salon. Its much darker and usually takes several layers to do. This is because the stage lights wash you out, and the tan helps for the definition in the muscle to be seen. Otherwise, you will look like a white ghost on stage. And yes even those with darker skin need the tanning. You can do it yourself, but i dont recommend it, as it tends to come out splotchy and messy if you dont know what you are doing.

I would say the most important coach you can hire is a posing coach. There are specific ways to stand on stage to accentuate your body and minimize flaws. Posing is also a lot harder than it looks. Its much more than just stepping on that stage and standing there. You also have to learn how to walk, and some organizations have specific patterns you need to learn. Only a coach is going to be able to teach you how to pose properly and look great on stage. As far as trainers, well its always best the first time out to have someone who is used to writing diets and training programs for competitors, and even as a trainer myself, i prefer to have someone else dial me in. Its very difficult to go it alone, especially if you have never done it before, as you have no idea how your body will react or what is needed.

Make up and hair youc an do yourself, however, STAGE makeup is needed, not maybeline or cover girl. So you will need to buy better quality makeup and know how to properly apply it. You will need to match your foundation to your tan, i would not suggest using the tanner on the face, but instead use foundation to match. You also need to know how to do hair for the stage and if you are using extensions, how to put them in.

Shoes should be clear so that they do not distract from the physique. You dont just walk on stage in your every day pumps.

Personally i have found press on nails to be really good for me, since i tend to ruin fake nails or paint jobs super fast. But yes it presents an better overall package for the nails to be done and looking good.

Jewelry again helps accentuate the physique, and since this is on stage, it tends to be bigger, gaudier, and blingier than regular everyday wear. I specifically have pieces that i only wear for shows.

On top of that, understand that many people have trained for years to be on that stage, and yes, they are paying for makeup/hairstylists and 500$ suits. They are putting there best self out there, and they come to win, not just show up with a pair of heels and a kmart bikini.

This is not a "beauty pagent", this is physique competitions, its very different fromt he pagent world in terms of preperation and accesories.
    It sounds like before you jump into the i want to compete wagon, you really take time to research it and understand it
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yea, I assumed it was basically a Pageant catered to fit women. I prolly wont compete then because I cant afford that ****. LOL. Im a stay at home mom. Plus I think those dark fake tans that they wear look AWFUL and wont do it, Im naturally light (celtic heritage) Ill stick to my natural sun tan I get taking my kids to the pool. I have to buy a new swimsuit anyways because mine from last year doesnt fit at ALL. I'll stick to showing off at the pool i guess...

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    great post, rockangel . . .

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    This is not a "beauty pagent", this is physique competitions, its very different fromt he pagent world in terms of preperation and accesories.
    . . . still, i wish all competitors were required to wear a simple black two-piece (and go barefoot), as they seem to do in some federations in europe, regardless of what division it is. beauty pageant or not, all that bling detracts from what 'physique' competitions are supposed to be about, imo.

not that 'grooming' isn't important, but i'd like to see it reduced to hair/make-up/nails only and keep them, erm, neat and civilised. that's not going to happen any day soon, though, but it'd be nice nonetheless.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

cbd88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbd88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbd88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbd88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbd88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbd88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbd88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbd88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbd88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbd88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbd88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Depends how important it is to you I guess, people who are interested in cars spend $$$ on their cars, people who are interested in cycling spend $$$ on bikes etc
    If it's an ambition of yours then save up over a year or so while your training the 'show fund' then you will be in good shape & have the cash!
    220lb squat, 220lb deadlift, 110lb bench

Originally Posted by Miranda View Post

. . . still, i wish all competitors were required to wear a simple black two-piece (and go barefoot), as they seem to do in some federations in europe, regardless of what division it is. beauty pageant or not, all that bling detracts from what 'physique' competitions are supposed to be about, imo.

not that 'grooming' isn't important, but i'd like to see it reduced to hair/make-up/nails only and keep them, erm, neat and civilised. that's not going to happen any day soon, though, but it'd be nice nonetheless.
    i think it would def help keep all competitors on the same level, if one can afford a $500 suit and jimmy choos and anothers in a second hand suit and thrift shop shoes (even if they meet all specs) its unfair imo. I think shoes are fine (heels accentuate the glutes) but a simple black 2 peice 'dress code' would be nice.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by airmansprincess View Post
    i think it would def help keep all competitors on the same level, if one can afford a $500 suit and jimmy choos and anothers in a second hand suit and thrift shop shoes (even if they meet all specs) its unfair imo. I think shoes are fine (heels accentuate the glutes) but a simple black 2 peice 'dress code' would be nice.
    eh, i don't think mr choo makes clear plastic 5-inch heels competition 'glam' is very different from fashion 'glam'.

the problem with women's divisions, bar FBB, is that women are judged differently than men. obviously things like 'stage presence' are equal to both sides, but women are supposed to have a touch of 'femininity' across the board and are judged on secondary factors. even FBB has something about 'grooming and complete package' if i'm correct.

the difference is also fairly clear in the sense that while men have only two-ish divisions (BB and board shorts), women have five.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

eh, i don't think mr choo makes clear plastic 5-inch heels competition 'glam' is very different from fashion 'glam'.

the problem with women's divisions, bar FBB, is that women are judged differently than men. obviously things like 'stage presence' are equal to both sides, but women are supposed to have a touch of 'femininity' across the board and are judged on secondary factors. even FBB has something about 'grooming and complete package' if i'm correct.

the difference is also fairly clear in the sense that while men have only two-ish divisions (BB and board shorts), women have five.
    still 'grooming and complete package' can be acheived with a simple 'uniform' and it levels the playing feild in that those personal touches of feminity are all with your own body (hair, makeup) and not your pocketbook.

Originally Posted by airmansprincess View Post
    still 'grooming and complete package' can be acheived with a simple 'uniform' and it levels the playing feild in that those personal touches of feminity are all with your own body (hair, makeup) and not your pocketbook.
    i agree, but still rockangel made a lot of valid points.

competition suits - black or bling - aren't bikinis. they are cut differently to accentuate the body. competition make-up (regardless of what it looks like) is different because you're under harsh lights. competition tanning is different for the same reason. you still need to learn to pose, pay your fees, accommodation and all that jazz. you need to be professionally put together, even if it's a neutral 'uniform'.

Fitness America just added a Men's Fitness category where the men do a fitness routine like the ladies. Its pretty interesting.

Bikini started out with having some girls wearing off the rack suits, but now the suits have changed so much i dont think you could get away with it (and do well).
    And you can get suits second hand, so there are ways to cut costs, but even then you need to be aware of all that a show requires.
    And after that first show, your second one will cost less as you should all ready have the shoes and the jewelry and such.
    Im ok with the bling, i think its fun picking out suits and all. Some federations only allow the blingy suits in the night show, not the prejudging so it evens things out a bit.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

re simple black two piece & barefoot European divisions- do they not use tan? Tan seems to be one of those things that actually makes a huge difference in definition etc

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cbd88 View Post
    Depends how important it is to you I guess, people who are interested in cars spend $$$ on their cars, people who are interested in cycling spend $$$ on bikes etc
    If it's an ambition of yours then save up over a year or so while your training the 'show fund' then you will be in good shape & have the cash!
    ^^this.

I'm gonna start socking some money away every week and call it my competition fund. Competing is off the table for me for this year so I think if I start putting money away now, byt the time I am going to be ready(praying for next year), the cost won't seem so daunting.
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

Registered User cheerleader0720's Avatar
    cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Only you know how badly you want this.

Competing takes an insane amount of dedication. It takes year-round weight-training effort in the gym, and year-round nutrition watching to make sure you build adequately. In the last few months before a competition, most people need to add or up the cardio to burn the extra fat, in addition to keeping up with a lifting routine. Pre-competition diets vary, but most are extremely strict--especially in the last month or two before the show. In addition to all that, you'll need to find time to practice your posing and/or routine.

Depending on what organization you compete with, there may be other things you have to do as well. I competed in an all-natural federation, and I had to carve out time to drive to the city and take a polygraph before my show (to prove that I hadn't taken any banned substances).

I will say, however, that, though it was expensive and time-consuming, I don't regret competing at all. It was so much fun, and the sense of accomplishment afterwards is absolutely amazing. If you really want to do it, go for it!!

Originally Posted by aristomeow View Post
    re simple black two piece & barefoot European divisions- do they not use tan? Tan seems to be one of those things that actually makes a huge difference in definition etc
    yes they use tan. a deep tan brings out definition and cuts so it's a necessity, especially on stage. of course it looks weird in natural light, but stage lights aren't natural light - far from it.

i was merely referring to the difference in suits. it's a lot less showgirl.
    Last edited by Miranda; 01-28-2013 at 08:36 PM.