Thread: Squat tips?

VrnRap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squat tips?

Hey guys i have a question for you.
    Ive only started working out for less than a month and have been doing mostly upper body workouts. I want to do lower body too so i tried out the squats. I was really disappointed to see that i could only squat about 100 lbs. its quite embarassing and i would appreciate any tips to increase the strength in my legs. Thanks.

TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Research and watch a lot of videos of people squatting. IF you want it bad enough, u'll get er done. One tip that comes to mind is adjust your feet to what feels comfortable to you. I read a lot of people saying they go shoulder width squats but they hurt my knees and I couldn't go as deep. Having a wide stance really really helped. Seeing as your profile says 5'10" you should try it out.

Just keep squatting. If you push yourself you will improve very quickly. Your legs grow like weeds

Originally Posted by TLDelaney View Post
    Research and watch a lot of videos of people squatting. IF you want it bad enough, u'll get er done. One tip that comes to mind is adjust your feet to what feels comfortable to you. I read a lot of people saying they go shoulder width squats but they hurt my knees and I couldn't go as deep. Having a wide stance really really helped. Seeing as your profile says 5'10" you should try it out.

Just keep squatting. If you push yourself you will improve very quickly. Your legs grow like weeds
    Should I focus on just squatting? Or are there any exercises that will indirectly help my squat?

TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLDelaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by VrnRap View Post
    Should I focus on just squatting? Or are there any exercises that will indirectly help my squat?
    Core exercise and deadlifts will help you keep tight when your down in the hole of a squat and prevent your back from rounding when going up heavier in weight.

macniall will become famous soon enough. (+50) macniall will become famous soon enough. (+50) macniall will become famous soon enough. (+50) macniall will become famous soon enough. (+50) macniall will become famous soon enough. (+50) macniall will become famous soon enough. (+50) macniall will become famous soon enough. (+50) macniall will become famous soon enough. (+50) macniall will become famous soon enough. (+50) macniall will become famous soon enough. (+50) macniall will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just back squat and front squat.
    KG > LBS

SmallLats is just really nice. (+1000) SmallLats is just really nice. (+1000) SmallLats is just really nice. (+1000) SmallLats is just really nice. (+1000) SmallLats is just really nice. (+1000) SmallLats is just really nice. (+1000) SmallLats is just really nice. (+1000) SmallLats is just really nice. (+1000) SmallLats is just really nice. (+1000) SmallLats is just really nice. (+1000) SmallLats is just really nice. (+1000)
    ill give you my little secret to gaining leg strength...its called training them...dont tell anyone.

philribeiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) philribeiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) philribeiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) philribeiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) philribeiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) philribeiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) philribeiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) philribeiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) philribeiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) philribeiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) philribeiro1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    dont feel embarressed, everyone starts somewhere, im in the same boat as you, 100 lb squat, itll be embarrassing at first, but the only people that are going to judge you are high school jocks just going for abs. Just keep at it and in no time youll see progression

school2424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) school2424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) school2424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) school2424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) school2424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) school2424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) school2424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) school2424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) school2424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) school2424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) school2424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey guys i have a question for you.
    Ive only started working out for less than a month and have been doing mostly upper body workouts. I want to do lower body too so i tried out the squats. I was really disappointed to see that i could only squat about 100 lbs. its quite embarassing and i would appreciate any tips to increase the strength in my legs. Thanks.
    Don't worry about how much you can squat. Just be sure to use proper form and appropriate weight. Find a leg program and stick to it. That's what worked for me, best of luck mate! Repped.

Originally Posted by school2424 View Post
    Don't worry about how much you can squat. Just be sure to use proper form and appropriate weight. Find a leg program and stick to it. That's what worked for me, best of luck mate! Repped.
    Regarding form, should I keep my back arched because i do that naturally and sometimes i feel it in my back. Or should i try keeping a straight back with only a little arch?

Where should i keep the bar? It hurts under my neck after squatting.
    Last edited by VrnRap; 01-26-2013 at 07:20 PM.