Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User AsianCornerback's Avatar
    AsianCornerback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

40 yard dash times?

What are your 40 yard dash times? I'm 14 and run a 5.3, awful, I know.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AsianCornerback View Post
    at 14, a 5.3 is well above average. You aren't slow, your body just isn't developed enough to reach those high levels that everybody tries to compare themselves to.

Registered User AsianCornerback's Avatar
    AsianCornerback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    at 14, a 5.3 is well above average. You aren't slow, your body just isn't developed enough to reach those high levels that everybody tries to compare themselves to.
    Trying hard to work to a 4.5 haha! What IS the average for people my age anyways?

LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Somewhere between 4.4 and 4.65, maybe even lower than that. But what Optimist said is true, I didn't really do anything different between ages 15 and 16 and I dropped from a 4.9 to a 4.4. Once your body becomes more developed you will be surprised.
    College Football Training Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152135513

Maxs:
    Barbell Bench Press - 295 lbs
    Squat - 455 lbs
    Deadlift - 425 lbs
    Hang Clean - 270 lbs

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Trying hard to work to a 4.5 haha! What IS the average for people my age anyways?
    There really is no average for someone your age. Those numbers are meaningless since you are not fully developed at that age, and the numbers fluctuate based on maturity and not actual skill. I am guessing that the fastest kid on your freshman team would run a 4.9-5.0. Anything faster than that at that age is extremely rare and/or improperly tested. So, your 5.3 is above average and in the range it needs to be at that age.

At your age, you shouldn't be worried about those combine numbers. Just learn the game, have fun and lift hard/work hard.

DjWatermelon is just really nice. (+1000) DjWatermelon is just really nice. (+1000) DjWatermelon is just really nice. (+1000) DjWatermelon is just really nice. (+1000) DjWatermelon is just really nice. (+1000) DjWatermelon is just really nice. (+1000) DjWatermelon is just really nice. (+1000) DjWatermelon is just really nice. (+1000) DjWatermelon is just really nice. (+1000) DjWatermelon is just really nice. (+1000) DjWatermelon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by LuckSide View Post
    Somewhere between 4.4 and 4.65, maybe even lower than that. But what Optimist said is true, I didn't really do anything different between ages 15 and 16 and I dropped from a 4.9 to a 4.4. Once your body becomes more developed you will be surprised.
    lol at average 4.4 and 4.65. and you do not run a 4.4. stop kidding yourself
    sup

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DjWatermelon View Post
    This. 4.4 is elite
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    easy on him, he had full rides to Division I schools for track, but he turned them down because his girlfriend didnt want him to go. And now he is going to walk on to Iowa State and get drafted by the NFL when he turns 28! I believe everything he says!/

NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    easy on him, he had full rides to Division I schools for track, but he turned them down because his girlfriend didnt want him to go. And now he is going to walk on to Iowa State and get drafted by the NFL when he turns 28! I believe everything he says!/
    Honest question, is every post you make some sort of snide, condescending remark? Do you ever have genuine advice or regard for anyone at all? Very serious question.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159250211

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NewbieX2 View Post
    Honest question, is every post you make some sort of snide, condescending remark? Do you ever have genuine advice or regard for anyone at all? Very serious question.
    When I do give honest advice, like "you have never played football before in your life, your odds of walking onto a very competitive Division I program are slim" or things like "If you want to professionally box, you should be able to do more than one pullup" it usually gets ignored or attacked.

Because 99% of the posts on here are people looking for validation, not advice, and have a hard time accepting any critique of their program. People dont want long term goals to grind for, they want quick fixes and instant walk ons.

LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DjWatermelon View Post
    Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    This. 4.4 is elite
    I ran a 4.4 as a sophomore in high school at 153 lbs and ran a 4.65 2 years ago at 175 lbs.
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    I had A full ride to OSU which I turned down for that reason. Why are you such a hater, it's kind of pathetic.
    College Football Training Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152135513

Maxs:
    Squat - 455 lbs
    Deadlift - 425 lbs
    Hang Clean - 270 lbs

Originally Posted by NewbieX2 View Post
    Yes it is, that's all a bitter 41 year old man knows.

Maxs:
    Squat - 455 lbs
    Deadlift - 425 lbs
    Hang Clean - 270 lbs

Running for my life. The Running Man's Avatar
    The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The problem with 40 yard dash times are the wild inconsistencies in how they're timed.

Anything that's hand timed, immediately throw out. Hand times are useless for sprints, and even an experienced hand timer is generally 0.24 too slow, meaning add on at least a quarter of a second. Second, the surface you're being timed on has a tremendous impact. Are you running on a track, on grass, or field turf?

haters gonna hate! Callmechristian's Avatar
    Callmechristian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Callmechristian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Callmechristian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Callmechristian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Callmechristian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Callmechristian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Callmechristian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Callmechristian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Callmechristian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Callmechristian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Callmechristian has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ran a 4.63 before acl tear. Haven't ran again at practice yet. Will update when I do that

Originally Posted by Callmechristian View Post
    Ran a 4.63 before acl tear. Haven't ran again at practice yet. Will update when I do that
    Hope your recovery is going well!

Maxs:
    Squat - 455 lbs
    Deadlift - 425 lbs
    Hang Clean - 270 lbs

Originally Posted by The Running Man View Post
    The problem with 40 yard dash times are the wild inconsistencies in how they're timed.

Anything that's hand timed, immediately throw out. Hand times are useless for sprints, and even an experienced hand timer is generally 0.24 too slow, meaning add on at least a quarter of a second. Second, the surface you're being timed on has a tremendous impact. Are you running on a track, on grass, or field turf?
    This.

oh and btw...You should never test your 40 on a track. You don't play football on the track lol.

Also, another inaccuracy of the 40 is that it is done without pads on. Person A may run a 4.4 and person B may run a 4.6. But person B can be faster than person A where it actually counts....on the field, with pads on, during the game. You see this type of stuff happen all the time. Some people just can't handle reaching their top speed with pads on, and for others, it hardly effects them.

If the 40 meant anything in football, Jerry Rice wouldn't have done the things he had done. Also seen him completely burn players like Deion Sanders countless of times. Football isn't played by lining up toe to toe and running your fastest. That's track.

Dezlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I run a 4.56

Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tulegitimate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Probably a 4.7 Too slow.

LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    4.7 when I played football in high school
    let them say i lived in the time of zyzz.
    *always picks 7 crew*
    *always picks 3 when 7s not a choice crew*
    *he man Rudyrude haters crew*
    *Muay Thai & BJJ crew*
    Brb bulking

KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Very solid post!!! High school 40's i do not value at all because how inconsistent the factors are. Hand timed 40's are not accurate! Factors such as surface and wind can help alot as well. The 40 also involves so much running technique, i have a teammate that has never been taught how to run a 40 he was a 155lb cornerback, his first college 40 was a 5.0... he is really a 4.5 guy but didn't have the technique.

I ran a 5.0 hand time at a D1 school camp in high school, then 4.9 early in college. Once i was taught how to run, a good, start, proper leg drive, proper lean, and proper elbow swing i then ran a 4.77 official laser timed and video reviewed 40. Did i really get that much faster probably not but because i was taught the proper way to run my time improved and i was faster in the 40.

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Best ever was 4.75 @ 277lbs
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Cmarroquin25 is not very helpful. (-500) Cmarroquin25 is not very helpful. (-500) Cmarroquin25 is not very helpful. (-500) Cmarroquin25 is not very helpful. (-500) Cmarroquin25 is not very helpful. (-500) Cmarroquin25 is not very helpful. (-500) Cmarroquin25 is not very helpful. (-500) Cmarroquin25 is not very helpful. (-500) Cmarroquin25 is not very helpful. (-500) Cmarroquin25 is not very helpful. (-500) Cmarroquin25 is not very helpful. (-500)
    4.79 checking in at 15 (srs)

Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was a 4.4 as an NCAA sprinter.

The 40 is overrated and is making Americans slower than Jamaicans, focus on your 100 m times at the very least.

TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    4.59 Hand timed, 4.65 light gate. I'm 18. 40's are a bunch of BS really. Comparing them is pointless as they are effected drastically by surface, air temperature, attire, foot wear. Anything with such a precise measurement in 100ths of a second must be measured in a consitent way otherwise why bother? It's why you get freshman and sophmores convinced they're sub 4.6 before they've even finished puberty.

Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TheRealNumber2 View Post
    4.59 Hand timed, 4.65 light gate. I'm 18. 40's are a bunch of BS really. Comparing them is pointless as they are effected drastically by surface, air temperature, attire, foot wear. Anything with such a precise measurement in 100ths of a second must be measured in a consitent way otherwise why bother? It's why you get freshman and sophmores convinced they're sub 4.6 before they've even finished puberty.
    Word. the 40 should be thrown away.

I've seen national qualifiers in the 60m dash indoor run an 11.2 at best outdoor...

Their 200 m time was worse.

TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mk2fly View Post
    Word. the 40 should be thrown away.

I've seen national qualifiers in the 60m dash indoor run an 11.2 at best outdoor...

Their 200 m time was worse.
    True. Although that could also be to do with they're particular strengths. Guys who accelerate quickly and reach top speed faster are far more suited to 60m then 100/200. A good example is Usain Bolt. Would be an average 60m runner as his height greatly impacts his acceleration, whereas it benefits his stride length and therefore top speed. Dwayne Chambers is a good example of the opposite. Muscular power sprinter, but average ( In a world class sprinter sense that is) top speed. I myself have gangly long legs and my 200 time is superior to my 100. I have a friend who runs 100m in 11.1 seconds at 17 years old, who runs a 4.5, and a team mate who runs 11 flat 100m at 18 but cant scrape a 4.7 due to his 6ft 4 frame and monstorous stride length.

Oh and OP, 5.3 at 14 is actually pretty good. Don't compare yourself to highschool seniors/ college/ nfl. They're grown men. Just keep training and you could be a burner in the future.

Running for my life. The Running Man's Avatar
    The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TheRealNumber2 View Post
    Guys who accelerate quickly and reach top speed faster are far more suited to 60m then 100/200. A good example is Usain Bolt.
    Simply not true. In Bolt's fastest 100m races, he routinely come through 60m in 6.3 mid. In London he came through in 6.31, and in Berlin he came through in 6.35. The 60m world record is 6.39. I'll be the first to acknowledge that running 60m is a slightly different animal than running 100m. Conditions are different, the seasonal timing is different, etc. But even allowing for that, it's impossible to imagine Bolt not running 6.4 if he ever lined up for 60m.

I do agree that the 40 yard dash has, at best, limited relevance to football.

Simply not true. In Bolt's fastest 100m races, he routinely come through 60m in 6.3 mid. In London he came through in 6.31, and in Berlin he came through in 6.35. The 60m world record is 6.39. I'll be the first to acknowledge that running 60m is a slightly different animal than running 100m. Conditions are different, the seasonal timing is different, etc. But even allowing for that, it's impossible to imagine Bolt not running 6.4 if he ever lined up for 60m.

I do agree that the 40 yard dash has, at best, limited relevance to football.
    Ah, my bad. For some reason I was under the impression bolts 60m split was around the 6.7 mark. Misimformation derp.

JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JohnMariettePT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Mk2fly View Post
    I was a 4.4 as an NCAA sprinter.

The 40 is overrated and is making Americans slower than Jamaicans, focus on your 100 m times at the very least.

I bet that was an awesome experience(NCAA).

Also to the original poster my online 40 is in the 3.3's (Just trying to fit in with the e-stats).
    AverageToSavagePL ---> Logging Avatar Nutrition and Juggernaut Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170942461&p=1433119761#post1433119761

facerasta will become famous soon enough. (+50) facerasta will become famous soon enough. (+50) facerasta will become famous soon enough. (+50) facerasta will become famous soon enough. (+50) facerasta will become famous soon enough. (+50) facerasta will become famous soon enough. (+50) facerasta will become famous soon enough. (+50) facerasta will become famous soon enough. (+50) facerasta will become famous soon enough. (+50) facerasta will become famous soon enough. (+50) facerasta will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I ran a 4.8 in HS. @ 6'2. 205 LBS. 12% BF. Running Back.