jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

squeezing the bar in the bench press

ok guys....so by squeezing the bar...does it mean to squeeze with just your grip strength? OR do you squeeze with the grip as well as the arms.....as if you're flexing your biceps?

Because all I do is squeeze the bar with my grip strength and without flexing the arms......i dont know if thats how your supposed to do it

cdurflinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdurflinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdurflinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdurflinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdurflinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdurflinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdurflinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdurflinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdurflinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdurflinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdurflinger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jsp16 View Post
    ok guys....so by squeezing the bar...does it mean to squeeze with just your grip strength? OR do you squeeze with the grip as well as the arms.....as if you're flexing your biceps?

Because all I do is squeeze the bar with my grip strength and without flexing the arms......i dont know if thats how your supposed to do it
    Squeeze the bar with your arms, act like you are trying to choke it. This will activate the triceps more and help you with a stronger bench press. You should feel your tricep contract either way but if you focus on activating that tricep you will see better results.
    BTK

Follow my Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151204363

NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    295/225/365

jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsp16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by cdurflinger View Post
    Squeeze the bar with your arms, act like you are trying to choke it. This will activate the triceps more and help you with a stronger bench press. You should feel your tricep contract either way but if you focus on activating that tricep you will see better results.
    I just grabbed my empty bar and acted like i was choking it...yea i feel the triceps tensing up when i do it?

Does squeezing the bar with the arms help u lift the weight up better?
    Last edited by jsp16; 01-24-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You're overcomplicating things.
    Starting Stats: 6'3, 152lbs
    IG: https://instagram.com/chrpowell/

wow when i do the choking thingy lol....i feel lot of tension in my chest, back and shoulders.........thank you so much

CannonballT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CannonballT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CannonballT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CannonballT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CannonballT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CannonballT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CannonballT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CannonballT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CannonballT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CannonballT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CannonballT has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You're supposed to try and pull it apart.
    i am stronger than every1 thinks today i left a 65kg girl right above my head and she was moving which was making it harder
    Always rep back
    [Witnessed loony get banned Crew]
    ++ Positive Crew ++

MuscleMorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleMorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleMorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleMorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleMorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleMorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleMorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleMorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleMorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleMorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleMorse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I definatley notice that when I squeeze the bar it increases my strength, also sqeezing my ass cheeks together helps.

Pulling the bar apart seems to weaken my bench, maybe my triceps are weak.

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CannonballT View Post
    You're supposed to try and pull it apart.
    this

your hands should go numb white. This goes for pretty much any movement that involves gripping something, squeezing hard stabalizes and takes slack of the arm. Any shift in the bar position would be extremly detrimental to strength output.

I kinda see it as worn suspension bushes on a car.
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I also like squeezing the bar really hard. If on my last rep of my final set and its a really tough rep i put everything into thinking in my head.. grip that bar as tight as you possibly can and I always get more strength from the grip
    East Coast Mecca
    http://bevfrancis.com/

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jsp16 View Post

From Tate and Wendler:

Dave Tate
    Squeeze the barbell and try to pull the bar apart! Regardless of the lift, you have to keep your body as tight as Monica Brant's behind. You'll never lift big weights if you're in a relaxed physical state while under the barbell. The best way to get the body tight is by squeezing the bar. We've also found that if you try to pull the bar apart or "break the bar," the triceps seem to become more activated.
    -Dave Tate

Step 4: Grip the bar tight

"Squeeze the **** out of it," Tate says. This will activate all the muscles in your hands, forearms, and triceps, and reinforce the tightness from your lower body and torso to the bar. "You should be pretty damned uncomfortable
    -Dave Tate

From Wendler:

Squeeze the bar – You must squeeze the bar as tight as possible when benching. This should be done on every attempt.-Jim Wendler
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733