MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Maxed out on Deads

I decided this year, to change it up a bit and try out some Powerlifting training. I never maxed out on anything before so I'm not sure what my max is. So today I decided to find out on deads! I started at 135 for 5 reps and worked my way up after 5-6 sets all the way to 1 rep of 345 lbs. I tried to add 10 lbs to it and couldn't do it!

I'm pretty happy with myself, so at 190 is 345 lbs a decent start for the dead? Is my goal of 400 lbs by November far fetched?

Raw with belt.

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "Decent" is a subjective term. Nobody knows what is "decent" to you but yourself. And nobody cares where you start, only where you end. And you won't know if your goal of 400 by November is far fetched unless you try. Nobody knows what your life revolves around, how you are training, what stresses you have in life, and everything else. Just go do it and then you'll know.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I think that would depend on how long you've been training.

liftersize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liftersize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liftersize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liftersize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liftersize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liftersize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liftersize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liftersize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liftersize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liftersize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liftersize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MikeyH83 View Post
    I decided this year, to change it up a bit and try out some Powerlifting training. I never maxed out on anything before so I'm not sure what my max is. So today I decided to find out on deads! I started at 135 for 5 reps and worked my way up after 5-6 sets all the way to 1 rep of 345 lbs. I tried to add 10 lbs to it and couldn't do it!

I'm pretty happy with myself, so at 190 is 345 lbs a decent start for the dead? Is my goal of 400 lbs by November far fetched?

Raw with belt.
    400 is easily achievable in 10 months for anyone weighing 190 lbs.
    Best Gym Lifts: Squat: 395 Bench: 310 Deadlift: 535 Front Squat: 305

Just trying to stay lean

MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thanks for the replies!

As far as training, I've been working out for 2 years. Considering competing in a bodybuilding competition in 2014. I very rarely deadlift, and when I did it wasn't heavy maybe (220). So today was actually my first heavy deadlift, ever I guess. I'm researching the 5,3,1 method since it's the one with the most information available online (in my research at least) so I wanted to get all my maxes. Tomorrow I'm gonna find my max bench (My bench has ALWAYS been weak) so my ego isn't looking forward to it. lol

JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JoshKukl is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    thanks for the replies!

As far as training, I've been working out for 2 years. Considering competing in a bodybuilding competition in 2014. I very rarely deadlift, and when I did it wasn't heavy maybe (220). So today was actually my first heavy deadlift, ever I guess. I'm researching the 5,3,1 method since it's the one with the most information available online (in my research at least) so I wanted to get all my maxes. Tomorrow I'm gonna find my max bench (My bench has ALWAYS been weak) so my ego isn't looking forward to it. lol
    My guess is that your deadlift will start to go up pretty consistently for a while.

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by liftersize View Post
    400 is easily achievable in 10 months for anyone weighing 190 lbs.
    i agree here. I went from 0 to 405 in under 6 months and don't consider myself to be anything beyond "decent" at lifting.

Fuarrrrrk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fuarrrrrk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fuarrrrrk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fuarrrrrk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fuarrrrrk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fuarrrrrk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fuarrrrrk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fuarrrrrk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fuarrrrrk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fuarrrrrk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fuarrrrrk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    345lb deadlift is basically beginner level of powerlifting for your weight

To put it in perspective an elite level deadlift for your weight class would be close to 3.5 x your body weight.

With the right training program and mindset you should reach 405 easy. If I were you I would reset your goal for June/July and have a stretch goal for nov/dec.

Provide some details on your diet, frequency of training etc so you can get more advice. You can research programs all u like but on here some people will give you first hand experiences and be able to give u hints and tips

Powerlifting relies on solid form also so maybe post vids here or in video library so you can have form critiqued

Good luck
    R.I.P Zyzz

Gym Lifts - 175/155/250

Comp Lifts - 180/137.5/252.5

Mod negged twice and green again crew

Originally Posted by Fuarrrrrk View Post
    345lb deadlift is basically beginner level of powerlifting for your weight

To put it in perspective an elite level deadlift for your weight class would be close to 3.5 x your body weight.

With the right training program and mindset you should reach 405 easy. If I were you I would reset your goal for June/July and have a stretch goal for nov/dec.

Provide some details on your diet, frequency of training etc so you can get more advice. You can research programs all u like but on here some people will give you first hand experiences and be able to give u hints and tips

Powerlifting relies on solid form also so maybe post vids here or in video library so you can have form critiqued

Good luck
    That's awesome man thank you, that's pretty much what I wanted to know. My diet recently changed, I haven't told my dietitian I'm going to be working with my focus on powerlifting for at least one year. But right now I'm on my maintenance diet.
    And I know this is the more than likely the dumbest question ever asked on here... lol but.... When you said reset my goal for june/july and a stretch goal for nov/dec. What do you think these goals should be at for starting day 1 at 345? Only reason I ask is, I'm not sure what to expect as far as strength gains. I hear they come fast and consistently at the start, so I'm not sure what to expect. Should 405 be my Nov/dec goal? and try to hit 370-380 in June/July?

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That's awesome man thank you, that's pretty much what I wanted to know. My diet recently changed, I haven't told my dietitian I'm going to be working with my focus on powerlifting for at least one year. But right now I'm on my maintenance diet.
    And I know this is the more than likely the dumbest question ever asked on here... lol but.... When you said reset my goal for june/july and a stretch goal for nov/dec. What do you think these goals should be at for starting day 1 at 345? Only reason I ask is, I'm not sure what to expect as far as strength gains. I hear they come fast and consistently at the start, so I'm not sure what to expect. Should 405 be my Nov/dec goal? and try to hit 370-380 in June/July?
    If I understood him correctly, he is saying set 405 as your goal for mid 2013 and then set a new goal for the end of 2013 like 450. Your goals don't need to be exact, you may miss them or demolish them. The purpose is to have something that keeps you focused and determined. Like I put on 100 lbs on my total in the 4 months between my 1st and 2nd meet. So when I set my 3rd meet as 4 months away, I made it my goal to up my total 100 lbs again, which I achieved. Then my 4th meet was 10 months away so I set my goal as 200 lbs on my total, only got 170.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    If I understood him correctly, he is saying set 405 as your goal for mid 2013 and then set a new goal for the end of 2013 like 450. Your goals don't need to be exact, you may miss them or demolish them. The purpose is to have something that keeps you focused and determined. Like I put on 100 lbs on my total in the 4 months between my 1st and 2nd meet. So when I set my 3rd meet as 4 months away, I made it my goal to up my total 100 lbs again, which I achieved. Then my 4th meet was 10 months away so I set my goal as 200 lbs on my total, only got 170.
    I gotcha! thanks for the clarification. I'm so stoked...nothing beats the excitement of being a noob.