lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lifebeckons75 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lower back injury and nutrition

I know this is not the right forum but I have learned so much from this particular forum and want to get your opinion on my situation.

Background:
    Six months ago I got very serious about nutrition and lifting. Lost over 20 lbs, mostly fat. Got in the best shape of my life. Have been lifting for years but for the first time got into a serious routine: A 5x5 routine with progressive overload. Was squatting 3x a week as well as DL, rows etc. Lifts went up significantly, PRs in all my lifts and then tragedy struck.

One morning I woke with a lot of pain in my lower back. Went to the doctor, got some x-rays and here is the diagnosis:
    I have been diagnosed with Spondylolysis (L4-L5) as well as Spondylolisthesis (grade 1, L5 on S1).

Spondylolysis is a defect or fracture in the joints that connect two vertebrae together.
    Spondylolisthesis refers to a condition in which the bone or vertebra slip out of the proper position and onto the bone below. I have a Grade 1.

I have started physical therapy which is helping with the pain. Am also taking anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxants. The doctor however does not think my lifting caused this. He thinks I may have had it for quite some time and it just surfaced now. We won't know as there is no previous X-Ray to compare with.

Anyone else in the same boat.

1. How should I alter my lifts? Do I say goodbye to squats, deadlifts and rows?
    2. From a nutrition perspective, do you guys recommend certain foods or supplements that may help with this?
    3. Is "cutting" while recovering from an injury a bad idea?

I am just very depressed about this at the moment so please be kind.

Thanks.
    Last edited by lifebeckons75; 01-23-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Hope it helps.

wwazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) wwazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) wwazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) wwazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) wwazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) wwazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) wwazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) wwazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) wwazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) wwazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) wwazza is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I suffered a similar fate but mine was a herniated disc between L5 and S1. I've always had lower back pain and when I started lifting a couple of years ago it relieved the pain and I had never felt so good. However after a massive mtb ride last year I suffered from bad pain and sciatica caused by this bulging disc. It put a stop to a lifting for a while and I put on a bit of weight again whilst I recovered.

Regular easy cardio started to relieve the pains and before long I was back in the gym following my diet again.

Listen to your physio on exercises to stay away from for the short term. Big lifts like squats, deads and OHP will be out of the question. However you should be able to do pullups, dips and flat bench work, anything that doesn't overload the spine.

I stuck at these exercises whilst I recovered and managed to cut the fat I put on whilst imobile. Don't be disheartened, you'll get through it man.