BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile PTs are their any industry wide rules of thumbs? Anything that wows you?

You guys/gals are the people that no doubt stay up the most on the most recent research in fitness, so I was wondering if you'd be willing to share two things with us mere mortals?

First, in your field is there any rules of thumbs? I realize that everyone is different, and these differences have a direct impact on how one's body takes to nutrition, exercise and rest. Age, genetics, sex etc. However, is there certain rules of thumb that seem to hold true regardless? For example, if one isn't in good shape and they go all out the first year, do everything they should..eat clean, exercise regularly, get adequate rest...and they meet a certain level of fitness....what gains can they expect in the second year of training. Like the next year they only see 20% as much gains as the first year? This is just an example.

Secondly, what are some discoveries in any area: exercise, nutrition, lifestyle that you were like blown away with once you started in this field. For me, a laymen, I noticed that diet was HUGE..for me maybe 70% of battling the belly...prior, I thought exercise was the major determination of how to lose weight.

Anyway...I thought I'd ask the brightest and the best these two questions.

What say you?

HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "Gains" or "losses" for that matter are completely dependent upon the client. Fitness isn't that hard to achieve. You move your body in different planes, with varying resistance, for an extended period of time (volume). The most difficult part about being a PT is teaching clients how to push their bodies passed the red flags given off by the mind, buy into your methods, and do their part at home (nutrition).

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are no secrets really. We don't know anything magical that the general public doesnt have access to.
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    There are no secrets really. We don't know anything magical that the general public doesnt have access to.
    To some, practicality and common sense IS magic! Now get outta here with your fandangled heathen sorcery!

jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Getting clients to adhere to nutrition guidelines has got to be one of, if not the most important factor in their success. You can write them the best workout program available but if you're only responsible for them for 3 hours a week, they have another 165 to screw everything up entirely. Just telling them that they need to eat more protein, less refined carbs, etc. is not enough. You have to hold them accountable.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by jalundah View Post
    Getting clients to adhere to nutrition guidelines has got to be one of, if not the most important factor in their success. You can write them the best workout program available but if you're only responsible for them for 3 hours a week, they have another 165 to screw everything up entirely. Just telling them that they need to eat more protein, less refined carbs, etc. is not enough. You have to hold them accountable.
    the amount of nutritional advice a trainer can legally give is very limited

jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BC02 View Post
    the amount of nutritional advice a trainer can legally give is very limited
    I wouldn't go as far as to say it's "very limited". You can give a person tons of nutritional advice, you just can't write them a specific diet plan. Simply telling them to eat better does not mean that they will. I provide my clients with a checklist of things that are very simple that I try to get them to complete. It looks somewhat like a calendar with a space for each day and goal that they have to check or sign if they complete. For example, 3 daily goals could be: 1-no sodas, 2-at least 2 servings of vegetables, 3-have at least one meal be meat-based. You can provide incentives such as discount sessions for reaching a certain number of checks in a week/month.

I've only recently started doing this, and it's made a big difference for some of my clients who have trouble watching what they eat.