Registered User DaveLiftsWeight's Avatar
    DaveLiftsWeight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaveLiftsWeight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Progression Question

I started lifting weights on the 2nd of January, 2013, starting with just the barbell (45lbs).

At this point, I'm squatting with 81lbs and bench pressing 59lbs, but this feels like extremely slow progress, and I haven't been able to add extra weight to the bar since January 10th.

As a result, I have two questions:

1. Did I try to move too fast with adding weight? The squat, for instance, jumped from 45lbs to 81lbs in eight days. Have I stalled because I was too impatient?

2. If that's not the case, is there a "next step" I should take?

At the moment, I'm working out three times per week and feeling fully recovered before workouts. Nutrition has been an issue — I hadn't been getting enough calories — but I've remedied that this past week. (But is the impact from that going to take longer? Am I still being impatient?)

I'm not too concerned about becoming big and ripped, so this isn't me feeling sad that I'm not some muscular monster. I just didn't expect to stop getting stronger so quickly. (Or at least, any strength gains that I have made are barely perceptible.)

I'm also doing Starting Strength, if that affects the answers people give me. Or at least, a lesser version of it. I've only recently added deadliest to the regime (since they weren't possible in my previous gym), and I will be adding the overhead press from the next workout onward.

Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Protege385 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DaveLiftsWeight View Post
    I started lifting weights on the 2nd of January, 2013, starting with just the barbell (45lbs).

At this point, I'm squatting with 81lbs and bench pressing 59lbs, but this feels like extremely slow progress, and I haven't been able to add extra weight to the bar since January 10th.

As a result, I have two questions:

1. Did I try to move too fast with adding weight? The squat, for instance, jumped from 45lbs to 81lbs in eight days. Have I stalled because I was too impatient?

2. If that's not the case, is there a "next step" I should take?

At the moment, I'm working out three times per week and feeling fully recovered before workouts. Nutrition has been an issue — I hadn't been getting enough calories — but I've remedied that this past week. (But is the impact from that going to take longer? Am I still being impatient?)

I'm not too concerned about becoming big and ripped, so this isn't me feeling sad that I'm not some muscular monster. I just didn't expect to stop getting stronger so quickly. (Or at least, any strength gains that I have made are barely perceptible.)

I'm also doing Starting Strength, if that affects the answers people give me. Or at least, a lesser version of it. I've only recently added deadliest to the regime (since they weren't possible in my previous gym), and I will be adding the overhead press from the next workout onward.
    If your strength is starting out that low you should follow the stronglifts 5x5 progression but still do starting strength. Actually, you could just do stronglifts till you stall and then swith to SS. All the volume will help you learn how to properly perform the exercises and get you comfortable with them.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Initial improvements are mostly down to improving motor pathways - which doesn't require new tissue growth.

However, now you will need to fuel further improvements by eating more. And making sure you get adequate protein and fats. See macro calculation sticky threads in the nutrition forum - one word of warning: don't take the calorie calc formulae too seriously, they are just starting points and you have to let real life guide you to finding YOUR typical calorie requirements. In other words, if you aren't gaining weight on the scales, you aren't eating enough.

DaveLiftsWeight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaveLiftsWeight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Initial improvements are mostly down to improving motor pathways - which doesn't require new tissue growth.

However, now you will need to fuel further improvements by eating more. And making sure you get adequate protein and fats. See macro calculation sticky threads in the nutrition forum - one word of warning: don't take the calorie calc formulae too seriously, they are just starting points and you have to let real life guide you to finding YOUR typical calorie requirements. In other words, if you aren't gaining weight on the scales, you aren't eating enough.
    Duly noted. The calculators I used seemed a little too forgiving with caloric requirements. I'll try to be more aggressive with regards to eating.

@Protege385 —*Thanks for the suggestion. Might give that a go if I'm still stuck after the next two workouts.

Brotherz6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Before you start "calculating your calories" I suggest you just eat. 5'10 and 134 pounds!!?? Make sure you are eating right if you want to see gains and improvements!!! This is KEY!!! Just keep at it with the weights, your gains will not be substantial at first, persistence is key.

Originally Posted by Brotherz6 View Post
    Before you start "calculating your calories" I suggest you just eat. 5'10 and 134 pounds!!?? Make sure you are eating right if you want to see gains and improvements!!! This is KEY!!! Just keep at it with the weights, your gains will not be substantial at first, persistence is key.
    Will do. Thanks for the advice.