Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Registered User DaveLiftsWeight's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Stats: 5'10", 134 lbs
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    DaveLiftsWeight will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveLiftsWeight will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit DaveLiftsWeight's BodySpace
    DaveLiftsWeight is offline

    Progression Question

    I started lifting weights on the 2nd of January, 2013, starting with just the barbell (45lbs).

    At this point, I'm squatting with 81lbs and bench pressing 59lbs, but this feels like extremely slow progress, and I haven't been able to add extra weight to the bar since January 10th.

    As a result, I have two questions:

    1. Did I try to move too fast with adding weight? The squat, for instance, jumped from 45lbs to 81lbs in eight days. Have I stalled because I was too impatient?

    2. If that's not the case, is there a "next step" I should take?

    At the moment, I'm working out three times per week and feeling fully recovered before workouts. Nutrition has been an issue — I hadn't been getting enough calories — but I've remedied that this past week. (But is the impact from that going to take longer? Am I still being impatient?)

    I'm not too concerned about becoming big and ripped, so this isn't me feeling sad that I'm not some muscular monster. I just didn't expect to stop getting stronger so quickly. (Or at least, any strength gains that I have made are barely perceptible.)

    I'm also doing Starting Strength, if that affects the answers people give me. Or at least, a lesser version of it. I've only recently added deadliest to the regime (since they weren't possible in my previous gym), and I will be adding the overhead press from the next workout onward.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User Protege385's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 29
    Stats: 5'6", 208 lbs
    Posts: 3,569
    Rep Power: 2904
    Protege385 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Protege385 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Protege385 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Protege385 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Protege385 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Protege385 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Protege385 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Protege385 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Protege385 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Protege385 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Protege385 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Protege385's BodySpace
    Protege385 is offline
    Originally Posted by DaveLiftsWeight View Post
    I started lifting weights on the 2nd of January, 2013, starting with just the barbell (45lbs).

    At this point, I'm squatting with 81lbs and bench pressing 59lbs, but this feels like extremely slow progress, and I haven't been able to add extra weight to the bar since January 10th.

    As a result, I have two questions:

    1. Did I try to move too fast with adding weight? The squat, for instance, jumped from 45lbs to 81lbs in eight days. Have I stalled because I was too impatient?

    2. If that's not the case, is there a "next step" I should take?

    At the moment, I'm working out three times per week and feeling fully recovered before workouts. Nutrition has been an issue — I hadn't been getting enough calories — but I've remedied that this past week. (But is the impact from that going to take longer? Am I still being impatient?)

    I'm not too concerned about becoming big and ripped, so this isn't me feeling sad that I'm not some muscular monster. I just didn't expect to stop getting stronger so quickly. (Or at least, any strength gains that I have made are barely perceptible.)

    I'm also doing Starting Strength, if that affects the answers people give me. Or at least, a lesser version of it. I've only recently added deadliest to the regime (since they weren't possible in my previous gym), and I will be adding the overhead press from the next workout onward.
    If your strength is starting out that low you should follow the stronglifts 5x5 progression but still do starting strength. Actually, you could just do stronglifts till you stall and then swith to SS. All the volume will help you learn how to properly perform the exercises and get you comfortable with them.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Lack of iron &or sleeping SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 42
    Stats: 5'11", 187 lbs
    Posts: 26,398
    BodyPoints: 1676
    Rep Power: 22091
    SuffolkPunch has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SuffolkPunch has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SuffolkPunch has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SuffolkPunch has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SuffolkPunch has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SuffolkPunch has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SuffolkPunch has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SuffolkPunch has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SuffolkPunch has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SuffolkPunch has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SuffolkPunch has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit SuffolkPunch's BodySpace
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    Initial improvements are mostly down to improving motor pathways - which doesn't require new tissue growth.

    However, now you will need to fuel further improvements by eating more. And making sure you get adequate protein and fats. See macro calculation sticky threads in the nutrition forum - one word of warning: don't take the calorie calc formulae too seriously, they are just starting points and you have to let real life guide you to finding YOUR typical calorie requirements. In other words, if you aren't gaining weight on the scales, you aren't eating enough.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User DaveLiftsWeight's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Stats: 5'10", 134 lbs
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    DaveLiftsWeight will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveLiftsWeight will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit DaveLiftsWeight's BodySpace
    DaveLiftsWeight is offline
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Initial improvements are mostly down to improving motor pathways - which doesn't require new tissue growth.

    However, now you will need to fuel further improvements by eating more. And making sure you get adequate protein and fats. See macro calculation sticky threads in the nutrition forum - one word of warning: don't take the calorie calc formulae too seriously, they are just starting points and you have to let real life guide you to finding YOUR typical calorie requirements. In other words, if you aren't gaining weight on the scales, you aren't eating enough.
    Duly noted. The calculators I used seemed a little too forgiving with caloric requirements. I'll try to be more aggressive with regards to eating.

    @Protege385 —*Thanks for the suggestion. Might give that a go if I'm still stuck after the next two workouts.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User Brotherz6's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2012
    Stats: 6'0", 190 lbs
    Posts: 33
    Rep Power: 0
    Brotherz6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit Brotherz6's BodySpace
    Brotherz6 is offline
    Before you start "calculating your calories" I suggest you just eat. 5'10 and 134 pounds!!?? Make sure you are eating right if you want to see gains and improvements!!! This is KEY!!! Just keep at it with the weights, your gains will not be substantial at first, persistence is key.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User DaveLiftsWeight's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Stats: 5'10", 134 lbs
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    DaveLiftsWeight will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveLiftsWeight will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit DaveLiftsWeight's BodySpace
    DaveLiftsWeight is offline
    Originally Posted by Brotherz6 View Post
    Before you start "calculating your calories" I suggest you just eat. 5'10 and 134 pounds!!?? Make sure you are eating right if you want to see gains and improvements!!! This is KEY!!! Just keep at it with the weights, your gains will not be substantial at first, persistence is key.
    Will do. Thanks for the advice.
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Similar Threads

  1. 5/3/1 progression question
    By oofzdaniel in forum Workout Programs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 01:29 PM
  2. Rippetoes weight progression question.
    By Andante in forum Workout Programs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 01:32 PM
  3. Madcow Linear Progression Question
    By Hornet_Ace in forum Workout Programs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 02:27 PM
  4. bill starr linear progression question
    By schenksta in forum Workout Programs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM
  5. Progression question
    By HollywoodReject in forum Workout Programs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout