g3xtrem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question 4 Day split or HST full body workouts?

Currently, my workout schedule looks like this

Mon: Chest
    Tues: Back
    Wed: rest
    Thurs: Arms
    Friday: Legs

However, I've been reading and told that split routines are a lot less effective than full body workouts 3 times a week? Yet, I see many threads with the split routines. I am looking to gain strength and some size. I do about 10-15 minutes of HIIT cardio after my workouts. Anyone have any advice on which routine to follow? I might just try HST as I have been doing the split a while. Your two cents is appreciated.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by g3xtrem View Post
    I am looking to gain strength and some size.
    If this is the case, HST does not seem like the right fit. If strength is your goal, look into a 5x5 program. You will get stronger, and probably put on some size as well. Just like you said.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Lencho View Post
    If this is the case, HST does not seem like the right fit. If strength is your goal, look into a 5x5 program. You will get stronger, and probably put on some size as well. Just like you said.
    word

Yea I forgot to mention the 5x5, it looks good. So are split routines not a very efficient way to workout? If it is, why do so many people use split routines.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by g3xtrem View Post
    Yea I forgot to mention the 5x5, it looks good. So are split routines not a very efficient way to workout? If it is, why do so many people use split routines.
    Comparing a bodypart split to a 5x5 is apples to oranges. If your main priority is strength, the 5x5 will get you there faster. Splits are efficient for the purpose they serve.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm becoming a believer in the full body philosophy. I'm currently in my first HST cycle, and so far I love it. I don't know what your specific situation is (age, weight, history of injuries, etc.) but for me HST has been far easier on my joints, and I have shown both size AND strength gains on the program. It is designed for size, but that doesn't mean you won't get stronger from it. If you go to the HST website or even ask around here, I think you'll find that many if not most people who do it correctly (and that's a big factor - doing it correctly!) receive strength gains in addition to the size gains.

I suppose it's a matter of priority as to which is more important to you. If you're emphasizing strength, and your body can handle the 5x5 or a 4 day split, then go for it. If size is of equal or greater priority, I think you might like HST. Give it the old Pepsi challenge - try both and see which you like best.

Good luck.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

Thanks for the responses. So what then is the purpose of split routines? Mainly mass? So the HST is like a synergy of split and 5x5 aiming for both strength and mass? I plan on doing about 10-15 minutes of HIIT cardio, is it ok to do with the 5x5 and HST or would that stymie results. Thanks again.