PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Herniated L4/L5 disc in back

So exactly 2 weeks ago today I was at the gym and injured myself doing deadlifts. Improper form lead to this, noob mistake, I know that. I went to the doctors the next day and got my MRI's done and it revealed a bulging disc that is pressing against the nerve canal in my back. And it is specifically pressing on my sciatic nerve. The doctor has me doing a physical therapy routine 5 times a day that lasts approximately 5 minutes each session. In addition to this I am taking a prescription steroid anti-inflammatory called decadron. 5 mg per day. Coming from a 6 days a week lifting routine with emphasis on legs and back, I am forced to take all leg workouts out, in addition to many back workouts. I still lift shoulders, chest, arms and light lats without hurting my back. I am seeking any advice from people on how they went about treating their herniated disc in this region, in addition to how long it took people? I feel like its a TFM working all upper body and not being able to work legs. Any words of advice or help would be much appreciated!

Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mafioso76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well for one thing...are u experiencing any constant pain? I would stop working out completely. My injury lasted approximately six months. Grew gradually as I kept trying to lift through it...made things worse to the point where I could barely walk. Everyone's different, but I'd be very careful bro...I'm still not 100 percent to where I once was..not even close...takes time.

LivingStrongE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivingStrongE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivingStrongE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivingStrongE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivingStrongE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivingStrongE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivingStrongE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivingStrongE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivingStrongE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivingStrongE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivingStrongE is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am going through the exact same chit now. I heard a pop! when I was doing my last set, 2nd rep of DL's and I just dropped the weights and stood bent over for 30 secs looking in the mirror asking myself wtf just happend? Anyways I didnt go to a Doctor since I have no insurance. The next day it took me like 5 mins to get out of bed, and I can hardly walk or bend over to brush my teeth. Its been 3 weeks and I feel alot better but now my pain is just localized just above my ass crack. I avoid and squats or deadlifts or any over head exercises like military press which will put pressure on your lower back. For legs I just do machines and I given my back a rest time period. I just ice my back everyday ( I dont like the warm compress feeling), NSAIDS and I try to sleep/sit up straight.
    **New Jersey Crew (201)**

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical trainingwhat a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PikeBoyRugger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am not experiencing any constant pain, even while working out my upper body. I only feel a little bit of pain in the morning and then right before I head to bed. Working out actually makes my pain feel better.

@LivingStrongE But yea, same thing, I heard a pop and was basically paralyzed lol. I too have took out all squats, deads or standing military press. I still do seated with no pain. I tried doing standing military press and felt like death. So heat is better than Ice for you? I feel like ice makes my back hurt more compared to heat. And what stretches for PT have you been doing, if doing any?

speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ouch. this shows how important form is when it comes to complex lifts like DL's.

Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I just had a surgery to correct this back in September. DO NOT push through the pain. That is a terrible idea. I would try to do this and there were weeks where I could barely walk and the only thing I could do is lie down in severe pain. My discs ended up pinching my nerve root and caused nerve damage which resulted in serious weakness in my right leg.

Listen to your doc and take anything that will stress your lower back out of your work out until this gets resolved. Being able to walk and live a normal life takes priority over lifting. Anyone who says otherwise is retarded.
    See title.

Always Neg Back Crew.

Saintpeader has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Lefticle View Post
    I just had a surgery to correct this back in September. DO NOT push through the pain. That is a terrible idea. I would try to do this and there were weeks where I could barely walk and the only thing I could do is lie down in severe pain. My discs ended up pinching my nerve root and caused nerve damage which resulted in serious weakness in my right leg.

Listen to your doc and take anything that will stress your lower back out of your work out until this gets resolved. Being able to walk and live a normal life takes priority over lifting. Anyone who says otherwise is retarded.
    Hey man,

What surgery did you get done?

I've had a bulging disc the last eight months,been to some many different physio's,osteopaths,personal trainers ad only recently a private consultant,who recommended;
    1. A cortisone injection
    2.Surgery to shave some of the disc to take the pressure off the nerves.

I'm only 24 and surgery on the back is serious business,lie everything it's no guarantee.
    Allstate I know is that I need to get back to the gym...going to start swimming properly for the next few weeks to see if there's any improvement.

Feedback from your procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

SP

Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lefticle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Saintpeader View Post
    Hey man,

What surgery did you get done?

I've had a bulging disc the last eight months,been to some many different physio's,osteopaths,personal trainers ad only recently a private consultant,who recommended;
    1. A cortisone injection
    2.Surgery to shave some of the disc to take the pressure off the nerves.

I'm only 24 and surgery on the back is serious business,lie everything it's no guarantee.
    Allstate I know is that I need to get back to the gym...going to start swimming properly for the next few weeks to see if there's any improvement.

Feedback from your procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

SP
    Well I got the injection first and it helped with the pain, but my leg kept getting weaker so I had to have the surgery. They scraped out my nerve canal by shaving away disc, bone, and some ligaments so my nerve had room to heal. The surgery was amazingly painful and I have a 4in scar in my back, but my nerve pain has been gone and I am back in the gym pushing some light weights and most of the strength in my right leg has come back.
    See title.

Always Neg Back Crew.

firatK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firatK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firatK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firatK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firatK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firatK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firatK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firatK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firatK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firatK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firatK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Lefticle View Post
    Well I got the injection first and it helped with the pain, but my leg kept getting weaker so I had to have the surgery. They scraped out my nerve canal by shaving away disc, bone, and some ligaments so my nerve had room to heal. The surgery was amazingly painful and I have a 4in scar in my back, but my nerve pain has been gone and I am back in the gym pushing some light weights and most of the strength in my right leg has come back.
    I have a herniated disk in my neck. I have no weakness in any part of my body. My neck pain is almost gone. I've been out of the gym for 1 month. And I think I will be out 2 months more at least to let it heal. Do you think it's possible to lift then?

I know that I injured mine two weeks ago and im lifting and feeling great. Lifting actually makes me feel better, I dont know if its actually slowing my healing process or even making it worse though. Going for more mri's in a week to see progress of healing.

Jelet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jelet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jelet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jelet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jelet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jelet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jelet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jelet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jelet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jelet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jelet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    damn more mris? how do you aford it bro? even with my health insurance its 600$

by the way, i also have a herniated l4-l5. been out for a month and dont plan on returning any time soon. ur 1 step away from making it ruptured.... how do u carry dumbbells around without being afraid of injury? do u just stick to machines? or do uhave a friend bring u dumbbells...
    My favorite miscer:LtGoose (no homo)
    Respect List : ShayZ, , dickyoliver, zuludddd, Thomas.of.Hunter , jcapo, zer0xp , Rasc170,wollo7,ajcoop20,softpounder
    -------
    *L4-l5 Herniated Disc Crew*
    *slap tear shoulder injury crew*

I'm under my dad's health insurance till im 24, and they only cost me 40 a piece so im in luck. But i have my gym partner bring me my dumbells as well as use machines. The reason i still go to the gym is because it actually makes my back feel better working out. I take out all exercises that put stress on my back and spine however. I am doing no leg or lower back workouts. Only upper back work i do are pullups and lat pulldowns. Alot of my shoulder work outs are out because its over the head, but i still do some. I changed alot of exercises to a seated position and its been working out well.
    ***Ex 300b Crew***
    San Jose State University - Psychology BA (Grad Fall 2015)
    Herniated L4/L5 + L5/S1 Disc, Surgery on L4/L5 but L5/S1 still herniated
    Recovery is slow but steady! On my track to get back!