Solanine805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Newbie to weight training and i need some silly answers.

Hi there everyone, thanks for looking at my question. I'm very new to weight lifting even though i am (sadly enough) in my mid twenties. I'm ashamed to say i am very... very out of shape, its quite sad really. My question then has to do with weights and what sizes i should start with as well as which exercises are the best for noodle arms like mine. I bought a couple of 15lb and a 25lb (all i could afford atm) and began with some basic curls. I can do about two sets of 10 reps with the 25lb before getting tired, and even then i start to rock back and forth a bit toward the end when Im using my left arm. The 15lb i can do about 80 reps before getting tired. Should i return the 15lb and get a 20lb or just stick with 25lbs? Or should i keep the 15lbs and just do more reps. I know these are probably dumb questions but Im trying here, for the first time in my life, and these are simple questions i cant get answered because i just get laughed at or mocked for being such a pussy, and so i cant get started because i dont know where to start. Thanks for reading this, and thanks twice as much if you ansswer this

PS: Im male, 26 y/o, 165lbs, 6'1", extremely right hand dominant

Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you have access to a gym?

BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Solanine805 View Post
    Hi there everyone, thanks for looking at my question. I'm very new to weight lifting even though i am (sadly enough) in my mid twenties. I'm ashamed to say i am very... very out of shape, its quite sad really. My question then has to do with weights and what sizes i should start with as well as which exercises are the best for noodle arms like mine. I bought a couple of 15lb and a 25lb (all i could afford atm) and began with some basic curls. I can do about two sets of 10 reps with the 25lb before getting tired, and even then i start to rock back and forth a bit toward the end when Im using my left arm. The 15lb i can do about 80 reps before getting tired. Should i return the 15lb and get a 20lb or just stick with 25lbs? Or should i keep the 15lbs and just do more reps. I know these are probably dumb questions but Im trying here, for the first time in my life, and these are simple questions i cant get answered because i just get laughed at or mocked for being such a pussy, and so i cant get started because i dont know where to start. Thanks for reading this, and thanks twice as much if you ansswer this

PS: Im male, 26 y/o, 165lbs, 6'1", extremely right hand dominant
    Don't worry about being a mess now, we all have to start somewhere. When I was 26 I was also in horrible shape, couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without feeling a bit winded. Most people in their mid 20's usually don't lead a healthy life style, drinking, smoking, junk food etc. It's only when people get a bit older do they start taking their health a bit more seriously.

Forget about doing 80 reps, that will just build muscular endurance, not muscle mass. General rule of thumb 1-5 reps for strength, 6-12 for hypertrophy/mass, 13 plus for muscular endurance.

If you want bigger arms don't just do curls, the tricep makes up most of your arm, so do tricep extensions, skull crushers, tricep kick backs for bigger triceps as well.

I would advise investing in a barbell, bench and squat rack when you can, dumbbells alone won't do much, either that or go to a gym. I would advise getting a pull up bar, it's cheap and will work more than one area. Wide grip pull ups will give you a wider back, chin ups, bigger arms, they also work the shoulders and core and you can do numerous other exercises.

When you do get a bench, barbell and squat rack or get to a gym with free weights use a proper set out program. I wasted years coming up with my own routine, reading this article and that article taking what I read and coming up with useless routines I thought would make me huge. Better to use a proven program like Rippetoes 5x5 or Bill Starrs starting strength. These are good beginner programs and I saw real benefits from them myself.

Also remember the actual training is just a part of the total equation. You will need to eat more and get plenty of rest as well.

Originally Posted by Turtora View Post
    Do you have access to a gym?
    I don't have access to a gym at the moment. the only gym i can go to is excessively expensive to the point i wont be able to buy food if i go. I bought the dumbells because i figured i could work out at home until i got fit enough to have more energy so i could work more and eventually go to the gym. Now i feel like i wasted my money of pussy ass 15lb dumbells. I was trying to be responsible and not overdo the weight i used but now i think i did just the opposite and went way too light

Originally Posted by BrightonBomber View Post
    Don't worry about being a mess now, we all have to start somewhere. When I was 26 I was also in horrible shape, couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without feeling a bit winded. Most people in their mid 20's usually don't lead a healthy life style, drinking, smoking, junk food etc. It's only when people get a bit older do they start taking their health a bit more seriously.

Forget about doing 80 reps, that will just build muscular endurance, not muscle mass. General rule of thumb 1-5 reps for strength, 6-12 for hypertrophy/mass, 13 plus for muscular endurance.

If you want bigger arms don't just do curls, the tricep makes up most of your arm, so do tricep extensions, skull crushers, tricep kick backs for bigger triceps as well.

I would advise investing in a barbell, bench and squat rack when you can, dumbbells alone won't do much, either that or go to a gym. I would advise getting a pull up bar, it's cheap and will work more than one area. Wide grip pull ups will give you a wider back, chin ups, bigger arms, they also work the shoulders and core and you can do numerous other exercises.

When you do get a bench, barbell and squat rack or get to a gym with free weights use a proper set out program. I wasted years coming up with my own routine, reading this article and that article taking what I read and coming up with useless routines I thought would make me huge. Better to use a proven program like Rippetoes 5x5 or Bill Starrs starting strength. These are good beginner programs and I saw real benefits from them myself.

Also remember the actual training is just a part of the total equation. You will need to eat more and get plenty of rest as well.
    I am extreamly broke, dumbells is literally all i can afford. I would work more but i have no energy, i would have more energy if i worked out more but i don't know where to start

melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You didn't waste your money on the smaller dbs as they may be the right weight for your triceps kickbacks. Thing is you need to add weight to add mass so you're limited unless you keep buying more. Best thing u can do atm is lots of pushups, dips, pullups to improve your arms and start adding on weight if they get easy.
    retired from powerlifting, retired from the misc

RAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Solanine805 View Post
    I am extreamly broke, dumbells is literally all i can afford. I would work more but i have no energy, i would have more energy if i worked out more but i don't know where to start
    I would recommend doing body weight movements at first to get your body accustomed to exercise, as melDorado mentioned. Once you are able to do a good number of pushups, dips, pullups and body weight squats I would suggest to start incorporating the 15lb db into those movements. Once you get your tris to a good level you could start tri kickbacks with the 15s, which would definitely increase your arm size over time. Just watch your diet and you'll be on your way to changing your body in no time!