eSripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eSripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eSripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eSripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eSripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eSripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squat Help, What do you guys suggest?

Okay I never filmed myself and no one has ever told me I had a butt wink in my squat. I filmed my squat today with some light weight. I have a small butt wink and I was wondering if you need to fix this issue. Can you fix the problem? Would stretching and foam rolling help? Does it cause any physical issues? I would ask someone at my gym about this but no one at my gym trains legs.

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by eSripper View Post
    Okay I never filmed myself and no one has ever told me I had a butt wink in my squat. I filmed my squat today with some light weight. I have a small butt wink and I was wondering if you need to fix this issue. Can you fix the problem? Would stretching and foam rolling help? Does it cause any physical issues? I would ask someone at my gym about this but no one at my gym trains legs.
    Stretching and foam rolling will let you increase your depth by making you more flexible, but "buttwink" is a form issue, not a flexibility issue. Quite simply, you are not keeping your lower back tight and hence it is relaxing when you drop into the bottom of your squat. What you want to do is

--keep your chest up
    --brace your abs
    --arch your lower back (and keep it arched) as you sit back into the squat

this will ensure that your back stays as straight as possible during the squat by preventing it from either rounding or arching excessively. In answer to your question, no you do not want the back to round. Not only does it put more of the load on your back (which can be back for your back) but it also makes you a less efficient lifter in general by taking that load off your hips and legs.

eSripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eSripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eSripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eSripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eSripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eSripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tidnab View Post
    Stretching and foam rolling will let you increase your depth by making you more flexible, but "buttwink" is a form issue, not a flexibility issue. Quite simply, you are not keeping your lower back tight and hence it is relaxing when you drop into the bottom of your squat. What you want to do is

--keep your chest up
    --brace your abs
    --arch your lower back (and keep it arched) as you sit back into the squat

this will ensure that your back stays as straight as possible during the squat by preventing it from either rounding or arching excessively. In answer to your question, no you do not want the back to round. Not only does it put more of the load on your back (which can be back for your back) but it also makes you a less efficient lifter in general by taking that load off your hips and legs.
    Thank you so much. Ill keep those three things you listed in mind the next time I squat. I really appreciate it.