wizgf19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizgf19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizgf19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizgf19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizgf19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizgf19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizgf19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizgf19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizgf19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizgf19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizgf19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Overly motivated?

I have really dropped the ball on training lately (girlfriend breakup, friends moving near me so I was going out more etc), but have finally gotten back into it and feeling so much better. My "problem" is I often want to go to the gym even on my off days (2 off days a week)? If I'm feeling like going, should I go? Or should I force myself to take that time off to recover?

At first I was thinking maybe I'm not working hard enough but I've really stepped up the intensity and still have this urge. Suggestions?
    Oops, i got fat. Trying to fix that now..

AdamTrue85UK is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdamTrue85UK is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdamTrue85UK is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdamTrue85UK is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdamTrue85UK is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdamTrue85UK is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdamTrue85UK is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdamTrue85UK is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdamTrue85UK is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdamTrue85UK is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdamTrue85UK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by wizgf19 View Post
    I have really dropped the ball on training lately (girlfriend breakup, friends moving near me so I was going out more etc), but have finally gotten back into it and feeling so much better. My "problem" is I often want to go to the gym even on my off days (2 off days a week)? If I'm feeling like going, should I go? Or should I force myself to take that time off to recover?

At first I was thinking maybe I'm not working hard enough but I've really stepped up the intensity and still have this urge. Suggestions?
    Perfectly natural to have this urge. Could probably do with more details of your training regime to give more precise advice. But without such info and generally speaking, allowing for recovery is important or you will break down your muscles too much. You can become weaker in the process and you'll quickly reach a plateau in your training. Hell, risking injury in the process because your body has not recouped properly.

Remember, you need decent recovery and rest (along with proper nutrition of course) for your muscles to rebuild stronger for the next session. It's when you rest your muscles and nervous system (not forgetting cardiovascular also to the extent you're pushing it) are recovering and adapting to higher levels to make up for the applied stress when working out. So when training hard, proper rest days are very important, as allowing for them means you will be operating at a higher degree of performance when training again because of this adaption during recovery time. No rest, no such chance for regeneration. Tons of other symptons also, such as depleated stores of glycogen when not allowing for proper recovery time which will result in flatter looking muscle too when overtraining.

EDIT: Best suggestion. Occupy free time on off days with reading up on nutrition, lifting tips etc. Keeps your head in the game still. That urge to train while so motivated will only increase on your days off mate.
    Last edited by AdamTrue85UK; 01-22-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    ~224 days in ~ (12/05/13)