Thread: Psmf low fat

Beebah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Psmf low fat

Hi

I was thinking of doing Lyle McDonald's psmf diet. I understand it's a low calorie, low fat and carb and high protein. I was wondering why fat is so low on this diet?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    No, it will keep proteins and fats at essential levels, and have very low carbs

Not recommended unless you are obese.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    OP, based on this thread https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=178021911 where you say you are 5' 8" and 154 pounds, this excludes you.

No, I'm going to do it. Bought all the vitamins . But I was just wondering why fat needs to be so low, I'm sure there's a reason for it? I mean you could keep the fat at a more optimal level and still do a low calorie. So I'm wondering the mechanics behind why fat is low

No, it will keep proteins and fats at essential levels, and have very low carbs

In lyles approach to this diet he keeps the protein much higher than the original psmf diet and fat and carbs low.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Beebah View Post
    In lyles approach to this diet he keeps the protein much higher than the original psmf diet and fat and carbs low.
    Perhaps he only anticipates it to be run for a few weeks - and/or recommends fat sources with very high EFA content.

XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't do low carb but I do find the lower my fat is the better I do on a diet when it comes to adherence. So much so that recently my most my days have 50g of fat or less then I just get pizza or some burgers or a steak one or twice a week to get a few 80g+ days to try and get my average closer to good minimums. When I try and stay under 200g C 200g P 50g F I seem to adhere really well If i try and cut the carbs or protein much more than that say sub 150g to add in more fat i end up eating 200+ grams of carbs anyway and go over on my calories. This may not be just a function of macros as what works best for me is eating mostly fruit veg meat cheese 1% milk bread lowfat yogurt low fat popcorn to snack on. So my fat content is typically based on my choice of meat and how much cheese I choose during a day. I might have a little peanut butter here and there but I don't really have success when I eat nuts avocados sauces cooking oils butter sweets or salty snacks with high fat content fast food or the like with high fat. Im not sure if its volume based or what but i tend to eat the same amount of things regardless of if i pick the lowfat or full fat options. So like with milk yogurt popcorn meat w/e i tend to eat the same volume even if it has double the cals form being high fat so just pick the low cal options more and more often . I cant imagine doing only protein sounds terrible to but maybe its never tried it seems like to much work shopping for my taste anyway. Also note one of the first things learned here was fat mins and while the best success i have ever had was doing below the fat minimums after a few weeks / months at 30-40g of fats the lack of fats does kill your energy so I try and have some "fat days" replacing my chicken and shrimp with steak and burgers and that seems to have helped.

Originally Posted by XinXom View Post
    I don't do low carb but I do find the lower my fat is the better I do on a diet when it comes to adherence. So much so that recently my most my days have 50g of fat or less then I just get pizza or some burgers or a steak one or twice a week to get a few 80g+ days to try and get my average closer to good minimums. When I try and stay under 200g C 200g P 50g F I seem to adhere really well If i try and cut the carbs or protein much more than that say sub 150g to add in more fat i end up eating 200+ grams of carbs anyway and go over on my calories. This may not be just a function of macros as what works best for me is eating mostly fruit veg meat cheese 1% milk bread lowfat yogurt low fat popcorn to snack on. So my fat content is typically based on my choice of meat and how much cheese I choose during a day. I might have a little peanut butter here and there but I don't really have success when I eat nuts avocados sauces cooking oils butter sweets or salty snacks with high fat content fast food or the like with high fat. Im not sure if its volume based or what but i tend to eat the same amount of things regardless of if i pick the lowfat or full fat options. So like with milk yogurt popcorn meat w/e i tend to eat the same volume even if it has double the cals form being high fat so just pick the low cal options more and more often . I cant imagine doing only protein sounds terrible to but maybe its never tried it seems like to much work shopping for my taste anyway. Also note one of the first things learned here was fat mins and while the best success i have ever had was doing below the fat minimums after a few weeks / months at 30-40g of fats the lack of fats does kill your energy so I try and have some "fat days" replacing my chicken and shrimp with steak and burgers and that seems to have helped.
    Ok, thanks for your input

Perhaps he only anticipates it to be run for a few weeks - and/or recommends fat sources with very high EFA content.
    Yes, that's the case. In lyles book he says
    couple a week's, at most 6 weeks I think and he also says that one should take a lot if EHA

Originally Posted by Beebah View Post
    No, I'm going to do it. Bought all the vitamins . But I was just wondering why fat needs to be so low, I'm sure there's a reason for it? I mean you could keep the fat at a more optimal level and still do a low calorie. So I'm wondering the mechanics behind why fat is low
    Because fat contains calories and he is trying to cut out as many calories as possible.

It's not healthy to run a low fat diet for a prolonged period, especially if you don't have large reserves of your own.