Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First day back in a week and a half with a new workout to boot. I was getting bored with 3x a week full body routines. I've done them essentially for my entire lifting career except for a few months when I was "cutting" aka losing lots of muscle. With spring coming and everyone's schedule getting a little busier it seems like a good time to switch. It's basically the 5/3/1 template with Greyskull programming for the main lifts.

Deadlift
    Sumo Deadlift 1x5+
    High bar Squat 5x10 (quad dominant assistance for bottom of sumo)
    DB Sit-ups 5x10
    Neck Harness 4x25

Press
    Press 3x5,5,5+ (chins in between sets)
    Dips 5x10 (tricep assistance for bench mainly)
    Shrugs 5x15 (because I want big ass traps, also for grip)
    Neck Laterals 4x25

Squat
    Low bar Squat 3x5,5,5+
    Conv Deadlift 5x10 (posterior chain assistance, switching to Good Mornings when my grip is up to par)
    Ab Wheel 5x10
    Neck Harness 4x25

Bench Press
    Bench Press 3x5,5,5+ (pull-ups or inverted rows in between sets)
    DB Bench 5x10 (because I can't think of anything with better carryover to bench)
    DB Rows 5x10 (scapular retraction, pull to balance the pressing)
    Neck Laterals 4x25

Goals: Increase strength, prepare for a powerlifting competition in late summer/early fall.
    Improve conditioning from non-existent to respectable. Lowering body fat not a priority, but that'd be nice, too.

With the higher rep ranges I'll probably gain some size, too, which I'm not happy about, but if that's what it takes to get stronger so be it.

Only rule is to have two days in between uppers and two days in between lowers. If I do 5 workouts in a 7 day period, cool. If I get 3, that's also cool, but not less than that. Conditioning will be a big factor. I'll be doing hill sprints after each workout once I adapt to the lifting workload.

First workout coming up next.

DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    #disaster

Forgot to mention I'm dropping 10% off of all my previous lifts. I was already resetting many of them anyway.

For my first workout in a week and a half, and my first time deadlifting in 2-1/2 weeks, the workout wasn't horrible, but it was definitely a wake up call.

Sumo Deadlift
    325 / 1x8

I originally hoped to get 9, so this works for me considering the circumstances. Grip was giving out from Jump St. My grip has definitely been hit the hardest from the layoff, and it was terrible already.

High bar Squat
    185 / 1x10
    175 / 2x10

I definitely overestimated the weight on this one. Conditioning was probably going to keep me from getting all 5 sets no matter what the weight was. Dropping down to 165 and going for all 5 sets next time. But it's definitely more of a conditioning issue than a strength issue so it should be resolved fairly quickly.

DB Sit-ups
    20 / 4x10

I put a 45 on my feet and this helped A LOT. I alternated this with the squats, making sure there was 3 minutes between sets of the same exercise.

All in all I was dry heaving, could barely walk, and felt like throwing up. AKA the sign of a good workout. I'm really looking forward to this program, not just the results, but actually doing it. Hopefully the variable frequency, added conditioning, and ability to swap out accessory work as needed will keep the boredom and complacency at bay.

Cliffs
    Sumo Deadlift 325 / 1x8
    HB Squat 185/1x10, 175/2x10
    DB Sit-ups 20 / 4x10
    Neck Harness 20 / 3x25

Second day of the new workout. Lower body and upper and lower back were a bit sore this morning. Stretching and foam rolling helped enough to get to the gym.

Press
    165 / 3x5,5,3

I tried Wendler's recommendations for press again. Staggered stance (not as exaggerated this time, will try parallel next time), suicide grip, bring bar to chin level, use lats as shelf. Form was good, but the weight was much lower than my other form. I'm starting to think I was actually bouncing and using momentum before. My press 5RM (maybe 170, I'll use 165 for this) divided by my bench 5RM (~255) is about 65%, which falls in the standard 60-70% range. Makes a lot more sense than 185 which was 75% of bench. Keeping this form and sticking with 5's for next week (167.5).

Dips
    10 / 5x10

The last rep of the last set was a little too close to failure, but given the layoff I'll keep the weight the same. These felt very, very comfortable and should really help both bench and press in the long run.

Shrugs (alternated with Dips)
    225 / 5x15,15,15,10(all double overhand),15(mixed grip)

Range of motion wasn't as good as I hoped. Traps could be stronger, but the real limiting factor was grip. I took a look at the trap bar but the handles were slightly thinner than the regular barbell. Hopefully all this additional grip work helps. Keeping this weight.

Cliffs
    Press 165 / 3x5,5,3
    Dips 10 / 5x10 alternated with
    BB Shrugs 225 / 5x15,15,15,10,15 (last set mixed grip)
    Neck Laterals 10 / 4x25

CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Getting stronger bro. Didn't go back and read everything. You type alot lol. Did you switch to 531 recently?
    First, Revolution
    Then, Resolution
    Finally, Evolution

SQ [450x1] BP [285x1] DL [500x1] all @ 230 Raw, Drug Free

Originally Posted by CamLeslie View Post
    Getting stronger bro. Didn't go back and read everything. You type alot lol. Did you switch to 531 recently?
    Yeah, man, I don't blame you lol. I never mean to write a novel but it just ends up that way. Entries for this program should be shorter though. I'm not advanced enough to need the slow progression of 5/3/1, but I just wanted a change and more freedom scheduling wise. So I used the 5/3/1 template (BBB/Triumvirate), but just used the Greyskull 5,5,5+ stuff for my main lifts. Workouts are shorter, there's more conditioning involved, if I miss a day my entire week of workouts isn't thrown off, and it's just refreshing to not be doing 3x5 for everything. Thanks for the encouragement!

Today was my first time squatting after the layoff.

Squat
    325 / 3x5,5,6

I was going for 9, but I was a little sore and form faltered at rep 5. Depth was good. Going for 7 at 330 next time.

Ab Wheel / 4x10

alternated with
    Conventional Deadlift
    185 / 1x10
    165 / 3x10,10,8

I'm definitely going to have to start light and work my way up. Again, grip was the limiting factor in this, but at the same time this should help my grip more than anything else. The first three sets and touch and go, but the fourth set felt much better and form was more consistent. Going from a dead stop from now on. 5x10 at 165 from a dead stop next time.

Cliffs
    Squat 325 / 3x5,5,6
    Ab Wheel BW / 4x10 alternated with
    Deadlift 185 / 1x10, 165 / 3x10,10,8
    Neck Harness 20 / 3x25

Bench
    225 / 3x5,5,8

I was about an inch from 9. Not what I wanted, but about what I expected. Going for 227.5 for 9 next time.

DB Rows
    75 / 1x10
    60 / 3x10
    50 / 1x10 (grabbed the wrong dumbbell :-/ )

Grip wasn't terrible, but my upper back is just really tired. It's been hit decently hard essentially every workout, with frequency chins done sporadically as well. Sticking with 60's next time.

Alternated with:
    DB Bench
    50's / 5x10

One of the only accessory lifts I underestimated. Going with 60's next time. I gotta look up proper form for this because my back was completely flat and unsupported, but the lift still felt correct.

Cliffs
    Bench 225 / 3x5,5,8
    DB Row 75 / 1x10, 60 / 3x10, 50 / 1x10 alternated with
    DB Bench 50's / 5x10
    Neck Laterals 10 / 4x25

caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey man thought I would let you know I'm still lurking, been busy with classes lately and stuff. Anyway looking like some good progress going on in here, excited to see how the new program works out for you.
    My ICF 5x5 Workout Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164244111

Originally Posted by caderaderbs View Post
    Hey man thought I would let you know I'm still lurking, been busy with classes lately and stuff. Anyway looking like some good progress going on in here, excited to see how the new program works out for you.
    Thanks, man. I've been slacking too, not keeping up with my subs, workouts, or journal. Depression is kind of creeping up again, but it isn't too bad yet.

This workout is from Saturday and I just forgot to post.

Sumo Deadlift
    330 / 1x8

I gotta get in the habit of actively pulling the bar into my shins with my lats. Other than that it was all good.

Squats
    165 / 2x10

alternated with

DB Sit-ups
    25 / 2x10

My roommate rode with me and was done her workout so I had to cut it short. Not that I minded, squats after sumo deads is not fun.

Neck Harness 20 / 3x25

tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DetMatthews View Post
    Thanks, man. I've been slacking too, not keeping up with my subs, workouts, or journal. Depression is kind of creeping up again, but it isn't too bad yet.

This workout is from Saturday and I just forgot to post.

Sumo Deadlift
    330 / 1x8

I gotta get in the habit of actively pulling the bar into my shins with my lats. Other than that it was all good.

Squats
    165 / 2x10

alternated with

DB Sit-ups
    25 / 2x10

My roommate rode with me and was done her workout so I had to cut it short. Not that I minded, squats after sumo deads is not fun.

Neck Harness 20 / 3x25
    Subbed
    P.S I hate you for being able to keep your knees in line with the toes like that, would you mind have a look at my squats for me and tell me why I keep pushin' my knees forward.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzGzhGLp-iM side view
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPLTxqVj4PA rear view
    S120kg/B97.5kg/D140kg/OHP62kg
    My training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150869353